Have your home cooked meals changed ?

North to South

Hello,

I’m intrigued to know whether people’s home cooked meals have changed since moving from the UK to Oz and if so what now are your three top home cooked meals and if eating out, what’s your go to meal ?  Here’s mine.....

Home cooked - Chilli, Lazy pasta with jarred sauce, Korean beef rice bowls

Dining out - Has to be Chinese or Yum Cha during the day.

• Like 1

Definitely, though it was over 30 years ago!   In Scotland, my staples were stovies, beef or chicken hotpot, spaghetti carbonara.   When I got to Australia, things changed dramatically.  At the time, the pay was better in Australia for both me and my oh, and I got a promotion very quickly, so suddenly we were able to afford good steak and chicken. 

As time went by and I embarked on the corporate ladder, I rarely had time to cook, and meals became grilled steak, grilled fish, or grilled chicken with veggies or salad, or a pasta with jar sauce.   I'm retired now but things haven't changed much.  I'm now more likely to roast the chicken, and I'm more likely to throw a stir-fry together, but I don't follow a recipe.

Dining out - what's that?  We haven't dined out since March last year. But when we did, we were more likely to go for a nice brunch than go out in the evening.  

• Like 2

Ours haven't particularly changed as such but we probably eat more egg plant, olives.

I'd say my favourites are anything my hubby cooks .. we're on a bit of a health kick at the moment so some of our favourites aren't being cooked as we reduce the carbs:

My son's girlfriend is vegetarian so we're making that once a week and exploring new recipe's 

At the moment the go to is: Vegetarian chilli, Fry pan Lasagne, Chicken cashew and chilli.

Eating out - we don't have a particular favourite cuisine - but probably enjoy Australian/European most

I cook more Asian food now and more interesting salads but I always cooked from scratch and we have lots of veggie meals. I think the modern term is flexitarian!

We don’t really do brunch or lunch out often but eat out in the evenings a couple of times a week. We can walk to a variety of restaurants and some give locals a discount!

If I am out at lunch I love a pho or laksa something I hadn’t had in the UK.

3 hours ago, Bulya said:

Dining out is breakfast or brunch.  

I dine out, a walk in the garden with a vegemite sanga.

As a kid in Yorkshire, it was stew with dumplings, or greasy fish n’ chips and the odd garram curry. Now, curries, mexican, indonesian, steak n’ chippies, italian and lotsa bread!

Cheers, Bobj.

2 hours ago, Bobj said:

As a kid in Yorkshire, it was stew with dumplings, or greasy fish n’ chips and the odd garram curry. Now, curries, mexican, indonesian, steak n’ chippies, italian and lotsa bread!

Cheers, Bobj.

and fresh fish ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, North to South said:

Hello,

I’m intrigued to know whether people’s home cooked meals have changed since moving from the UK to Oz and if so what now are your three top home cooked meals and if eating out, what’s your go to meal ?  Here’s mine.....

Home cooked - Chilli, Lazy pasta with jarred sauce, Korean beef rice bowls

Dining out - Has to be Chinese or Yum Cha during the day.

Most definitely!

Home cooked: Prawn salad, steak + trimmings, and grilled salmon (used to eat this a lot in the UK too).

Dining out: Only during the day, and nearly always Sushi.

5 hours ago, Bobj said:

Cheers, Bobj.

Stew and dumplings, lovely.

It's so long ago I can hardly remember what I cooked for us in the UK.  i ate meat then and don't eat it now   ............  haven't for over 30 years.  Used to enjoy Chinese takeaway way back then - don't eat that now either.  Apart from that not much else has changed except of course now eating a lot more fresh fish and vegetarian meals. Still enjoy puddings.  😃  Had a rhubarb crumble this evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

It's so long ago I can hardly remember what I cooked for us in the UK.  i ate meat then and don't eat it now   ............  haven't for over 30 years.  Used to enjoy Chinese takeaway way back then - don't eat that now either.  Apart from that not much else has changed except of course now eating a lot more fresh fish and vegetarian meals. Still enjoy puddings.  😃  Had a rhubarb crumble this evening.

Same.  Hasn’t had a rhubarb crumble for a fair while though.  And you have yummy clotted cream in Tasmania... 

3 hours ago, Toots said:

One of my favourite, I love rhubarb.  I would happily eat that pudding with custard, cream or ice cream (or with evaporated milk as that was our cream when we were kids) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

One of my favourite, I love rhubarb.  I would happily eat that pudding with custard, cream or ice cream (or with evaporated milk as that was our cream when we were kids) 

My maternal Grandfather grew rhubarb and licorice on a commercial basis in Pontefract . His brother, my great uncle, was a director of Dunhill's licorice allsorts and pomfret cakes.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

I’ve always been the cook in the house so have always sought inspiration for new recipes from books or online, a couple of my favorites I use are recipetineats and marionskitchen and now I’m here in Oz I can find more readily some of the fresh ingredients they use.  I love wandering around the markets, being in Adelaide, I enjoy Central Market and can’t wait for my container to arrive so I can start to enjoy cooking more in my own home.

I grew up in a farming family, so meat was my staple and fish only came battered on a Friday, and try as I can, I don’t enjoy fish probably as much as I should, so I’m looking forward to mastering how to cook some of the lovely fish that I see everywhere.  

I don’t think I’ll stop eating things like pasta, but hopefully I’ll start to replace the jarred sauce with fresher ingredients and take advantage of what’s available here compared to the local supermarket in the UK.

And who has moved from the UK and now has ketchup on a meat pie ?  

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

Craving gooseberries. Very hard to find. 

Our friends in the south of Tassie have half a dozen gooseberry shrubs.  They aren't the green hairy ones I remember but are "Cape" gooseberries   ............  about the size of cherry tomatoes and sort of an orange colour.  Very nice though.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Our friends in the south of Tassie have half a dozen gooseberry shrubs.  They aren't the green hairy ones I remember but are "Cape" gooseberries   ............  about the size of cherry tomatoes and sort of an orange colour.  Very nice though.

The "conventional" gooseberries you remember used to be very common in older Tasmanian gardens but they seemed to fall out of favour - I don't know why.  However  I have noticed them in a few nurseries recently, so maybe they are making a comeback.

2 hours ago, North to South said:

I’ve always been the cook in the house so have always sought inspiration for new recipes from books or online, a couple of my favorites I use are recipetineats and marionskitchen and now I’m here in Oz I can find more readily some of the fresh ingredients they use.  I love wandering around the markets, being in Adelaide, I enjoy Central Market and can’t wait for my container to arrive so I can start to enjoy cooking more in my own home.

I grew up in a farming family, so meat was my staple and fish only came battered on a Friday, and try as I can, I don’t enjoy fish probably as much as I should, so I’m looking forward to mastering how to cook some of the lovely fish that I see everywhere.  

I don’t think I’ll stop eating things like pasta, but hopefully I’ll start to replace the jarred sauce with fresher ingredients and take advantage of what’s available here compared to the local supermarket in the UK.

And who has moved from the UK and now has ketchup on a meat pie ?  

Vegetarian pie with lashings of chilli sauce 

Not really, staples are still spag bol, chilli, pasta dishes. We still like a roast but maybe do that on the barbie rather than the oven. 

We barbie a lot more than in the UK and have one that my sister reffered to as the mother ship when she was here on holiday.

Never been a fan of yum cha, in my opinion the Chinese can make a meal out of what a decent butcher would throw away and yum cha tastes like it.

There are many very good restaurants with any type of quisine you could fancy.

A lot of pubs do $10 meals, chicken parmi, steaks, pizza and half price beer, usually from 5-6 most evenings. Good value.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Its a good question. We are looking forward to planning an outdoor kitchen.  More fresh meat and veg, and grilled fish.  Love a bit of grilled fish when you know it is fresh!  My wife is in her mind already in the queue in Kailis in Freo or Leederville for seafood.

Yep, we eat a lot more seafood. Barra and salmon, mussels me and the youngster love, cheap and quick. Unfortunately my wife doesn't like mussels so we have to pick a night when she's out.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 20/03/2021 at 08:16, North to South said:

I’m intrigued to know whether people’s home cooked meals have changed since moving from the UK to Oz

and if so what now are your three top home cooked meals and if eating out, what’s your go to meal ? 

🙂

Yes indeed changed.

I lived on fast foods in the UK. My idea of gourmet was sticking a frozen pizza in the oven, having takeaway chips with everything and baked beans on toast. Pot noodles were big on the menu too. Had a Sunday roast every week (which my sister use to cook for me). Fruit and vegetables were limited. Only ever saw fish in batter.

Since moving to Oz, I hardly ever have takeaways, and cook 99% of my meals from scratch

Tastes have changed over the years, but my current Top 3 would be:

1). Lime chicken (done in the Air Fryer), served with Asian style salad

2). Steamed barramundi or salmon, with steamed vegetables - kale, corn on the cob, broccoli

3). Risotto - Chicken, mushroom, pumpkin & peas

Hardly eat out, but if we do, then like fresh seafood platter - prawns, oysters, mussels, crab, lobster, scallops, etc...