Worst Nightmare....

DavidIII

And just when everything was going so well....

This morning I was just about to exchange on my house sale in the UK ahead of moving on 8th Jan then in my inbox pops an alert advising me that all flights from the UK with Singapore Airlines are cancelled indefinitely !

Now scrambling for other flights, but I fear that with Hong Kong already shutting its borders to the UK, Duba and Qatar won't be long in following leaving all routes to Australia closed, well most major routes unless you want to fly via the US which given their handling of Covid I don't feel is the best route.

Anybody else in the same problem ?

24 minutes ago, mt9754 said:

Oh dear, if you are looking for other flights then I would definitely suggest Qatar is your best bet.  Throughout the pandemic they have been the only reliable airline.

They got me over earlier in the pandemic when all other flights were cancelled.

Hi, I've just been looking at them and they have availability early Feb, but just concerned that they Qatar will follow the trend and close off the UK too.

7 hours ago, DavidIII said:

And just when everything was going so well....

This morning I was just about to exchange on my house sale in the UK ahead of moving on 8th Jan then in my inbox pops an alert advising me that all flights from the UK with Singapore Airlines are cancelled indefinitely !

Now scrambling for other flights, but I fear that with Hong Kong already shutting its borders to the UK, Duba and Qatar won't be long in following leaving all routes to Australia closed, well most major routes unless you want to fly via the US which given their handling of Covid I don't feel is the best route.

Anybody else in the same problem ?

@DavidIII I didn't want to concern you when you posted you were flying with Singapore Airlines a while ago, but they've cancelled on all of us at some point. They are totally unreliable. Qatar have been the most reliable airline followed by Emirates, and if I'm not mistaken they've already stopped people entering Qatar months ago (unless you're a resident or they're on business), but this hasn't affected transiting passengers.

Whatever you do, DON'T go back on your house - get those contracts exchanged. You don't want to leave the UK with an unsold house, not knowing what's going in with the place - 6 months since my wife left our place, and it's been empty all that time. You worry about squatters breaking in, pipes bursting, the garden looking a mess, and you're still paying all the bills. You can't move on with your life here until your house there is sold. Get it sold pal, and get the hell out of that disaster zone of a country however you can!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

France are close to opening borders, I think the others will follow suit in early Jan.  If you step back for a minute, this is not so bad.  Lots of other issue can cause more delays.

Some good news. Australian isn't closing it's borders to the UK because they are happy with the current quarantine procedures (and reading between the lines because they'll probably cop a load of flack about stranded Aussies not being able to get back etc).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-22/why-isnt-australia-banning-uk-flights-new-coronavirus-strain/13007540

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Some good news. Australian isn't closing it's borders to the UK because they are happy with the current quarantine procedures (and reading between the lines because they'll probably cop a load of flack about stranded Aussies not being able to get back etc).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-22/why-isnt-australia-banning-uk-flights-new-coronavirus-strain/13007540

Australia isn't closing it's boarders because they are already closed.  The only people allowed in are Australian citizens or permeant residents or those with an exemption to enter.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NicF said:

Australia isn't closing it's boarders because they are already closed.  The only people allowed in are Australian citizens or permeant residents or those with an exemption to enter.

Well spotted. I should've have said stopping flights or people flying in from the UK, as some European countries have already done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wanderer Returns said:

Well spotted. I should've have said stopping flights or people flying in from the UK, as some European countries have already done.

Same thing.  Australia already does not allow people to fly in from the UK, unless they are citizens/PR or can get a special exemption.    As we're seeing with France, after the initial "stop everyone" panic, that's exactly what all the other countries are doing.   

The difficulty is not getting to Australia.  The difficulty is finding a port that will let you transit through.

Citizens should stay put ,too, just now.  Very hard for them especially if they are split from other family members but it still puts all of us at risk despite the isolation attempts. In March they were told to return.  It is now December and I realize some could not get back for whatever reason but just now, with the virus mutating and still out of control, is not the time to fly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Until this mess is sorted out ( Covid 19) I wouldn't come anyway because basically no-one from overseas is made to feel welcome.  Human nature.

No one is made to feel welcome?  Many have arrived there throughout this pandemic and I’ve not heard of any saying they’ve been made to feel unwelcome. You mean you wouldn’t make anyone feel welcome. Again, please refrain from assuming everyone has the same thoughts as you.  Thankfully an entire nation doesn’t turn their back on everyone else because there’s a pandemic out there. Human nature brings out much kindness, not just unwelcoming thoughts like you mention. 

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Same thing.  Australia already does not allow people to fly in from the UK, unless they are citizens/PR or can get a special exemption.    As we're seeing with France, after the initial "stop everyone" panic, that's exactly what all the other countries are doing.   

The difficulty is not getting to Australia.  The difficulty is finding a port that will let you transit through.

Unless we're talking on cross purposes, it's not the same thing. France has reopened it's border with restrictions (no doubt to avoid a mounting crisis on both sides of The Channel), but at least 40 other countries have temporarily stopped direct flights from the UK. You can still fly from the UK to Australia at the moment, but you can't fly from the UK to Germany.

3 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Until this mess is sorted out ( Covid 19) I wouldn't come anyway because basically no-one from overseas is made to feel welcome.  Human nature.

Lots of overseas people have arrived from overseas during Covid-19.  I think most people would wish them all the best once they are released from quarantine.  Tassie is very busy with tourists from all over the mainland.  We have never had to wear a mask though i do see a very few folk wearing them.  Maybe they have a cold or are a bit paranoid.

Fingers crossed we don't have any more outbreaks here.  Tassie has been Covid free for 6 months.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Especially Poms with the possibility of carrying the new strain VUI-202012/01 or lineage B.1.1.7

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Lots of overseas people have arrived from overseas during Covid-19.  I think most people would wish them all the best once they are released from quarantine.  Tassie is very busy with tourists from all over the mainland.  We have never had to wear a mask though i do see a very few folk wearing them.  Maybe they have a cold or are a bit paranoid.

Fingers crossed we don't have any more outbreaks here.  Tassie has been Covid free for 6 months.

Honestly I moved here just over 3 months ago and most Aussies don’t have a clue how bad it is overseas, they are surprised I had to do hotel quarantine. Life has gone on uninterrupted here for the most part. They are even more surprised when I tell them how much we paid for business flights.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tmduk said:

Honestly I moved here just over 3 months ago and most Aussies don’t have a clue how bad it is overseas, they are surprised I had to do hotel quarantine. Life has gone on uninterrupted here for the most part. They are even more surprised when I tell them how much we paid for business flights.

Obviously you're not in Victoria!

• Like 3

It would be lovely if the thing would just go away and we can all be happy wouldn't it? Those of us in Victoria do not want another 6 months of purgatory ,though and so the avast majority of us are not keen on overseas people coming in. Sorry, but that's a fact. Other states are likely different but I would say please stay away from Victoria, we have had enough. Unless you have lived through it you just wouldn't understand. Easy to judge when you don't have the experience of the mental health problems occurring now.

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

It would be lovely if the thing would just go away and we can all be happy wouldn't it? Those of us in Victoria do not want another 6 months of purgatory ,though and so the avast majority of us are not keen on overseas people coming in. Sorry, but that's a fact. Other states are likely different but I would say please stay away from Victoria, we have had enough. Unless you have lived through it you just wouldn't understand. Easy to judge when you don't have the experience of the mental health problems occurring now.

My sister in law who lives in Melbourne had a baby in the midst of a mental health crisis during the tightest period of lockdown, so we are all too familiar with the challenges.  Fortunately they have all got through the worst of it.  Personally I would probably avoid Melbourne given the recent issues, but to be honest the next serious outbreak could as easily be in NSW.

I think we can safely assume though that the OP is either a citizen or Permanent resident, in which case he has every right to come and enter Australia as long as he meets all the requirements.

• Like 4