Worst Nightmare....

DavidIII

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Like I said, I only wear a mask on public transport and when I go into a shop. I have my own cloth masks which are comfortable and easy to wear, and I wash it after every wear.  Maybe it's being overly cautious as you say, but who is it hurting?  Why does everyone get so exercised about the idea?

Marisa I'm glad to hear you are wearing masks in riskier situations. To everyone complaining I have this to say:

Coming from a country that has suffered from COVID, I find it upsetting that people are having to justify why they choose to wear masks in the midst of a global pandemic.

I find it even more upsetting that its the people wearing them rather than those not that are looked down on. Does everyone know that a mask doesn't protect the wearer at all? The wearing of a mask is for the protection of those around you, it does next to nothing to protect the wearer from others.

So next time you see someone wearing a mask don't think "Oh my God they are going to give me COVID" instead think "Thankyou for wearing that to protect me, I appreciate it"

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

Marisa I'm glad to hear you are wearing masks in riskier situations. To everyone complaining I have this to say:

Coming from a country that has suffered from COVID, I find it upsetting that people are having to justify why they choose to wear masks in the midst of a global pandemic.

I find it even more upsetting that its the people wearing them rather than those not that are looked down on. Does everyone know that a mask doesn't protect the wearer at all? The wearing of a mask is for the protection of those around you, it does next to nothing to protect the wearer from others.

So next time you see someone wearing a mask don't think "Oh my God they are going to give me COVID" instead think "Thankyou for wearing that to protect me, I appreciate it"

No one was complaining, someone just made a comment that others replied to and Marissa picked up on it . I haven't seen anyone who has said they have a problem with mask wearers and here in QLD seeing someone wearing one is rare, so to write that which is pretty much what Ramot and MR did ,shouldnt really have needed dissecting and questioning in the first place tbh. Unless instructed to wear one its a personal choice and with next to no covid in QLD right now, most people deem it not necessary.

Cal x

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

But isn’t that exactly it? Some are saying they wear masks in case there’s a breakout but them wearing that mask doesn’t help them at all. Maybe they’re just extra kind and want to protect others in case they have it but it’s more likely that many people who continue to wear them have this belief they are keeping them self safe. It may give people reassurance they are safe even though it is a false reassurance. Honestly if I lived there with pretty much zero cases I wouldn’t wear one. I probably wouldn’t even if I thought it would protect me because I’d look at the chances of getting it and make a choice to look and feel how I want to. I hate wearing them. Not because of comfort but its just not ideal. I find it sad that no one can see others smile. I often smile at someone then realise they can’t see that. Of course I wouldn’t dream of not wearing one in the UK right now but if hardly anyone else was and there was no cases then I wouldn’t. It wouldn’t help me one bit and would only help others if I had it which would be as near to zero in chances as you can get. Marisa is right though, it’s not hurting anyone and they’re doing nothing wrong if they want to wear one and shouldn’t be criticised. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I also assumed that the outbreak in Melbourne was down to Chairman Dan's incompetence and corruption, e.g. using a security firm to run quarantine which did even tender for the work. 

Can you please explain to me how ONE security guard getting infected by hotel quarantine in Melbourne was a "debacle" but cleaners and security guards getting infected in Sydney and Adelaide was perfectly fine and just a bit of bad luck?    

The problem in Melbourne wasn't that hotel quarantine was run badly. The problem was that the contact tracing system wasn't up to the job when a staff member caught covid. In Adelaide and Sydney, the contact tracing was up to the job.  That's the only difference. The rest is media beat-up.

Yes, the organisation of hotel quarantine in Melbourne was a dog's breakfast but I suspect, in the panic, that most other states weren't much better.  There certainly wasn't time to go to tender for anything, and other states used security guards and cleaning contractors too - and still do.  And I repeat, those guards/contractors got infected in other states, too. 

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, calNgary said:

No one was complaining, someone just made a comment that others replied to and Marissa picked up on it.... [it] shouldnt really have needed dissecting and questioning in the first place tbh.

I was picking up on the fact that MR said people who wear masks in Surfers are treated to "the look" by everyone.   The way I read MR's post, he seemed to think that was just fine and perhaps he even gave them "the look" too.   I hope not, because that's nasty and completely unjustified.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

I guess we are used to wearing the masks in Victoria and it also protects you from colds and flu- virtually no flu this year which is a big plus. I will continue to wear one in shopping centres at least as do my fellow Victorians. i don't wear one out walking, they are annoying and too hot  but if instructed to do so I would. They don't tell you to wear one for fun,  there is medical evidence that they do help. Even in 1918 they realised that ..

• Like 4

The Government's terror campaign has worked on me and every time I cough, sniff, sneeze, my first thought is  "I have Covid" then I look around expecting to get the evil eye (or like in the scene from Invasion of the Bodysnatchers is you have seen it.)

Back in pre-Covid  days I despised anybody who was out with a cold, so if Covid leads to everybody with colds wearing masks to protect the rest of us, then fine.

On the other hand, up here in QLD, thus far, life seems normal. One doctor I've seen wore a mask although his receptionists didn't. They did check my temperature though, the only time it's happened.

Having watched this scene again,  I am surprised the Government is not using it on us.

• Like 1

On 29/12/2020 at 09:17, starlight7 said:

I believe they don’t wear them in New South either. I think they are silly because it is a small price to pay. We learnt our lesson the hard way down here and hope no other state has to go through it . It wasn’t pretty. They don’t cure anything but there is a measure of prevention. 

don't worry, we are wearing them now 😷

• Like 1