Worst Nightmare....

DavidIII

6 hours ago, starlight7 said:

the avast majority of us are not keen on overseas people coming in. Sorry, but that's a fact

I find it hard to believe the vast majority of people there have said that anyone arriving would be unwelcome. That said, it’s clearly not something you’ve just thought likely/possible as you’ve stated it is factual. Was the data/surveys collected in just Victoria or across all states? I’d be interested in seeing the results/findings if you don’t mind sharing them. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Bulya said:

Especially Poms with the possibility of carrying the new strain VUI-202012/01 or lineage B.1.1.7

The new strain seems very convenient just as they have started vaccinating people.

Suppose it covers there arse now if the vaccine didnt work 🙊

12 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Absolutely no reason you shouldn't fly as soon as you can.  Australia has perfectly capable quarantine and testing.  And who cares if a few people think you shouldn't have come;  some people think we should all be locked in our houses.

Really you should. That is the only thing that stops this virus.

Victoria went from 800 cases to zero cases by enforcing semi lockdowns. People were allowed out on a limited basis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lavers said:

The new strain seems very convenient just as they have started vaccinating people.

Suppose it covers there arse now if the vaccine didnt work 🙊

Do you think the government and their scientists, medical officers and health officials are making it up then 🤔 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I find it hard to believe the vast majority of people there have said that anyone arriving would be unwelcome.

I've not heard that comment at all, either in private conversation or in any public survey.   The only concern has been with  breaches of the quarantine system,  not with the arrivals themselves.

• Like 4

Everyone here has been very welcoming.  Of course Australia have a very different attitude to COVID and if it raises its head then they go very fast and hard - so be prepared for that.

RE Qatar - they will be the last airline to stop flying, their motto at the moment is “getting people home” and have stopped people entering the country so they can use the airport almost exclusively for transit - they are your best bet.  They are very proud of their track record during Covid.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Until this mess is sorted out ( Covid 19) I wouldn't come anyway because basically no-one from overseas is made to feel welcome.  Human nature.

If you personally make people from overseas feel unwelcome that’s fine, just  don’t lump everyone else into your way of thinking.

Edited by Wa7
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Don't get involved in arguments about politics, religion or money" was sound advice my father gave me, which I've generally adhered to throughout life.

If he was alive in 2020, he might well have updated it to 'Brexit, Covid and BLM'. When people feel strongly about a subject, they often become incapable of distinguishing fact from opinion. At that point I find it prudent to bow out of the discussion.

I wish all PiOers a safe and pleasant Christmas wherever you are, and the hope that 2021 will be better for everyone - M.

🇬🇧🎄🤗🎁 🇦🇺

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Personally I rarely meet people who have just arrived from overseas( I can’t actually remember the last time ) so it doesn’t apply to me but I know what others have told me and respect that they just want us to be safe and not at risk from imported diseases. Most are in the at risk category and almost all think all airports should be closed to overseas except for New Zealand. Singapore is doing the right thing.

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

Personally I rarely meet people who have just arrived from overseas( I can’t actually remember the last time ) so it doesn’t apply to me but I know what others have told me and respect that they just want us to be safe and not at risk from imported diseases. Most are in the at risk category and almost all think all airports should be closed to overseas except for New Zealand. Singapore is doing the right thing.

Nice back peddling but you have clearly stated your views in earlier posts 

Just own it............

• Like 2

I guess if I met someone who had recently arrived I would run a mile and so would most here.  That is just an honest comment because I/we know from hard experience  what can happen.  Nothing to do with who they are, most Aussies welcome strangers and always have and always will do.  Can be confusing ,I know but you have to separate the people from where they have travelled from. That is all I will say on this so any snide comments please keep them to yourselves.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I guess if I met someone who had recently arrived I would run a mile and so would most here.

If they have recently arrived they would have had to quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks, be tested twice and not able to leave quarantine unless the test is negative.    So they would be less of a risk than a resident who was unknowingly carrying a locally acquired virus.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 25/12/2020 at 06:28, Wanderer Returns said:

Is that really necessary? I think you may have missed the part about goodwill to all men/women 🤗

Merry Christmas!

Not sure what bit I missed but I certainly wish goodwill to all, especially any recent arrivals to Australia  and hope they weren’t made to feel unwelcome.

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

On 23/12/2020 at 14:10, starlight7 said:

Until this mess is sorted out ( Covid 19) I wouldn't come anyway because basically no-one from overseas is made to feel welcome.  Human nature.

I've been made very welcome here in Queensland and nobody has ever treated me like I've got the plague. Surfers Paradise is still full of people  from overseas too, international students, backpackers, lots and lots of Brazilians.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I've been made very welcome here in Queensland and nobody has ever treated me like I've got the plague. Surfers Paradise is still full of people  from overseas too, international students, backpackers, lots and lots of Brazilians.

Starlight quoted "basically no-one from overseas is made to feel welcome.  Human nature."....so coming interstate you wouldnt/shouldnt have had any adverse reactions! We moved to WA  from the east and quarantined in Perth.. both interstaters many from Victoria and internationals were treated with the utmost respect and people went out of their way to help us all. 

• Like 2

I apologise if people thought I meant Aussies are unwelcoming to people overseas. Not the case and never has been. What I meant was AT THIS TIME whilst the virus is spreading overseas. Hope you can comprehend this and that this doesn’t degenerate into an Aussie v the rest as can happen and seems to happen all to often.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Freemantle said:

Starlight quoted "basically no-one from overseas is made to feel welcome.  Human nature."....so coming interstate you wouldnt/shouldnt have had any adverse reactions! We moved to WA  from the east and quarantined in Perth.. both interstaters many from Victoria and internationals were treated with the utmost respect and people went out of their way to help us all. 

There was one unpleasant real estate agent who refused to share the lift with us when she realized that two people had just come up from Sydney. And nobody has reacted to my Pommie accent with suspicion.  Well, apart from one bloke in the pub, watching Australia v India and I said, :They are playing each other for the right to play England," and he glowered at me and said, "Are you fair dinkum?!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MARYROSE02 said:

There was one unpleasant real estate agent who refused to share the lift with us when she realized that two people had just come up from Sydney. And nobody has reacted to my Pommie accent with suspicion.  Well, apart from one bloke in the pub, watching Australia v India and I said, :They are playing each other for the right to play England," and he glowered at me and said, "Are you fair dinkum?!

That's funny! 😄 

I haven't used an elevator since all this started. I can't imagine a more effective environment for transmitting the virus than a small, confined, humid cubicle, with a whole load of buttons recently visited by people's sticky fingers!

• Like 1