6 reasons that you came to live in Australia

starlight7

2 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Interesting about the breakfasts, I hadn't realised it was different in the uk.  Guess we take stuff for granted, we often go out for brekkie and they are cheap, too. Nice washed down with a coffee too.

Here in the UK, well where we are anyway, NO cafe or breakfast spot is open before 09.00.

That’s mid morning to us, it’s morning tea time at nine !

We really do miss those early morning aussie breakfast’s, in fact it makes me want to get back on that plane right now 😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, starlight7 said:

Interesting about the breakfasts, I hadn't realised it was different in the uk.  Guess we take stuff for granted, we often go out for brekkie and they are cheap, too. Nice washed down with a coffee too.

To be honest I don't ever remember going for early morning breakfast in Australia. Is it a thing?

We often go for breakfast at our local beef eater as it very cheap. There are a few other places we go that are a bit more upmarket. But we wouldn't go before 08:00.

Are there many people there at 06:30? Is this weekend or week day?

Edited by newjez
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, newjez said:

To be honest I don't ever remember going for early morning breakfast in Australia. Is it a thing?

We often go for breakfast at our local beef eater as it very cheap. There are a few other places we go that are a bit more upmarket. But we wouldn't go before 08:00.

Yes,  it is a thing, lots of folk are up early and going for breakfast at 06.30 -  weekdays and weekends,  especially in the cafes on the sea fronts. Suppose it depends where you live and whether you are near the coast or not.

Even when I went out for “social breakfasts” with work, we’d always be there for 07.00 or 07.30 at the latest, then we could all go home and get on with our day.

• Like 1

I had only one reason - I was doing fieldwork in the sleet and my fingers were too frozen to hold my pen - one of those "screw this for a game of soldiers" moments.  I was a citizen, single, had nothing to stop me and got on an aeroplane 6 months later.

• Like 2

We moved to Australia after my Australian wife became very depressed living in the UK, away from her family. It was the best thing we ever did as it brought her out of a very dark place emotionally and saved our marriage. I've struggled here a bit myself with Depression and homesickness, so I've got a pretty good idea of what she was going through. I've never really 'got' Australia myself and remain an outsider after 11 years here, but I'm grateful that my family are happy here and I have no regrets. 😀

• Like 5

1. My OH was presented with the opportunity through work
2. I’d been fascinated by the idea of living in Australia since I was a child- we regularly got sent gifts and photos from family in WA
3. I would also have a job on arrival
4. We didn’t see any negatives to giving it a try
5. (I think) I was suffering from S.A.D in the U.K. and wanted to live somewhere it would affect me less
6. I prefer a warm climate outdoors lifestyle

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

We moved to Australia after my Australian wife became very depressed living in the UK, away from her family. It was the best thing we ever did as it brought her out of a very dark place emotionally and saved our marriage. I've struggled here a bit myself with Depression and homesickness, so I've got a pretty good idea of what she was going through. I've never really 'got' Australia myself and remain an outsider after 11 years here, but I'm grateful that my family are happy here and I have no regrets. 😀

You’re in Melbourne.  I felt exactly the same way when there.  Found it to be a depressing place, and the later move to NSW was a revelation 

Guess we’re all diff, Bulga. Have to say it depends where in Melbourne too. I feel a deep depression coming on every time I go through some of the western suburbs. Sunshine is a misnomer, ‘ orrible place. I am sure many love it though or it wouldn’t have such a large population.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

Guess we’re all diff, Bulga. Have to say it depends where in Melbourne too. I feel a deep depression coming on every time I go through some of the western suburbs. Sunshine is a misnomer, ‘ orrible place. I am sure many love it though or it wouldn’t have such a large population.

Godawful place, run like a police state

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, starlight7 said:

I agree.  Sydney is the same.   I always felt that great swathes of the outer suburbs didn't deserve to be called "Sydney" at all, because they bore so little relationship to the vibrant inner burbs.  That's why I moved, because I couldn't afford to live in the "good bits" of Sydney any more. I can afford the "good bits" of Melbourne and it makes all the difference. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I agree.  Sydney is the same.   I always felt that great swathes of the outer suburbs didn't deserve to be called "Sydney" at all, because they bore so little relationship to the vibrant inner burbs.  That's why I moved, because I couldn't afford to live in the "good bits" of Sydney any more. I can afford the "good bits" of Melbourne and it makes all the difference. 

Sydney has a totally different vibe than Melbourne imho.  Coming from school and military service in South Australia, and military service in Victoria it really was an eye opener.   

15 hours ago, Bulya said:

You’re in Melbourne.  I felt exactly the same way when there.  Found it to be a depressing place, and the later move to NSW was a revelation 

I don't find Melbourne depressing, I just don't relate to the place, but it's perfectly fine as cities go. I know that you're an advocate for moving interstate in order to find the right place, but I suspect that I would feel the same way wherever I went. Ultimately though, my family are happy here and that's the priority for me. 😀

• Like 2

On 21/07/2019 at 22:33, starlight7 said:

We are on the Mornington Peninsula. Beautiful down this way. How about you? 

26 minutes ago, Celt Down Under said:

We are on the Mornington Peninsula. Beautiful down this way. How about you? 

Eastern suburbs . The Peninsula is nice but we worked in the city so a bit far out for us. We have lived in the area for many years now and you get to know a lot in the community which makes it very hard to move away! Brief stint in Tassie  but it was a bit isolated then ( better now I think) Once had a long road trip around the east coast and saw and stayed in some great places but  we still came back to Melbourne as our home.

• 4 weeks later...

We are not there yet either but...

1. New adventure (ive spent 40 years this way up, I fancy 40 years the other way up)

2. My birthday is in January and im fed up with it being cold dark and wet

3. Ability to use the outside more

4. More space

5. Experience living and working in another country before im too old

6. I have just read through and seen breakfast is available at breakfast time rather than mid morning!!! wow what a revelation... I need this

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Leighbee98 said:

We are not there yet either but...

1. New adventure (ive spent 40 years this way up, I fancy 40 years the other way up)

2. My birthday is in January and im fed up with it being cold dark and wet

3. Ability to use the outside more

4. More space

5. Experience living and working in another country before im too old

6. I have just read through and seen breakfast is available at breakfast time rather than mid morning!!! wow what a revelation... I need this

I can vouch for the great January birthdays 

• Like 1

On 20/07/2019 at 23:44, newjez said:

Every day of the week. My youngest works at a cafe by the beach and his early shift starts at 5:30 to open. In summer loads of people are down the beach swimming, board or surf ski paddling. At this time of year it's early morning bike riders calling in mostly.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Every day of the week. My youngest works at a cafe by the beach and his early shift starts at 5:30 to open. In summer loads of people are down the beach swimming, board or surf ski paddling. At this time of year it's early morning bike riders calling in mostly.

When poms are getting home from another night on the grog!