6 reasons that you came to live in Australia

starlight7

I know our reasons as a family and wondered if they are pretty much the same for others. It was a long time ago for us and times have changed of course- so I was wondering if the reasons for coming here are different now.  For us they included

escaping the dreadful political situation in the UK under Ted Heath

better climate

higher standard of living

More space

adventure

A fluid classless society for the kids to grow up in with more opportunities ( we had 2 babies when we came)

• Like 3

We aren't there yet but:

1) Wife is Aussie and wants to go home (for about 15 years)

2) Kids love it when we visit

3) I want to be closer to the water and take up sailing / scuba diving / kyaking / windsurfing again. And maybe rowing.

4) Weather = outdoors = adventure!

6) I like nice breakfasts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm like Quoll, struggling to think up six reasons.

We had been in Africa (my oh had a teaching contract) for three years, and returned to find a Scotland in the midst of the miners' strike. It was the most depressing place imaginable.  The oh ended up in a horrible school and I couldn't find a permanent job at all. Our only goal, really, was to get out of that awful environment.   My oh was applying for teaching contracts in places like the Gilbert & Ellis Islands and Singapore, and if one of those had come up first, we'd probably have ended up there. 

At the time, applying to migrate to Australia was no more difficult than applying for any of those contract jobs, and didn't cost a lot.  We were a typical young couple of the time, with a flat full of second-hand furniture and a TV that showed more snow than picture.  So it was dead easy to decide what to take and what to leave, and we didn't give a thought to how long we might or might not stay in Oz.

I loved it from day one.  

Word of warning to Jon the Hat:  weather = outdoors = skin cancer.  You'll be fine if you've spent your young years in the UK but take care of your kids. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ali said:

More relaxed lifestyle

Work/life balance

I notice these two are quite often given as reasons, and I'm not at all sure they're true.   Certainly in Sydney, the liifestyle isn't at all relaxed (the culture is work hard/play hard) and the work/life balance is dreadful thanks to the long commutes most people have to make.  I think Canberra and Melbourne have a better work culture, though Melbourne suffers from the long commutes as well. 

• Like 1

1) To get out of the cycle of poverty - I was a member of the working poor going nowhere fast, school catchments meant moving in the UK would be hard due to cost of housing in desirable areas

2) Fancied a change and became a nurse to allow that to happen

3) Agenda for change had just come in in the NHS and had downgraded my role

4) Going somewhere less crowded

5) It looked nice on the telly/internet (such as it was)

6) Because I could

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

We aren't there yet but:

1) Wife is Aussie and wants to go home (for about 15 years)

2) Kids love it when we visit

3) I want to be closer to the water and take up sailing / scuba diving / kyaking / windsurfing again. And maybe rowing.

4) Weather = outdoors = adventure!

6) I like nice breakfasts

Don't mention the bacon!

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I notice these two are quite often given as reasons, and I'm not at all sure they're true.   Certainly in Sydney, the liifestyle isn't at all relaxed (the culture is work hard/play hard) and the work/life balance is dreadful thanks to the long commutes most people have to make.  I think Canberra and Melbourne have a better work culture, though Melbourne suffers from the long commutes as well. 

My father was always working long hours in Australia. 

• Like 1

1 = Better career opportunities and working conditions. I had a fabulous career as a nurse for 28 years in Perth, WA.

2= Climate

3 = Ability to live near the sea

4 = Can always find a place for breakfast open from 06.30 in a morning

5 = Wanted a change in our lives and a new challenge.

6 = And, we just want wanted to go to Australia.

However, we’re currently in the UK, not sure for how long though !!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I can only speak for myself in that I found both these things moving to Aus. Haven't lived in other states but it's certainly been doable for us in WA.   I drive only 25 mins to work which was one of the things that I intentionally looked for.   I work 80 hours a fortnight as opposed to 76, but get one day off a month for the extra.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ali said:

I can only speak for myself in that I found both these things moving to Aus. Haven't lived in other states but it's certainly been doable for us in WA.   I drive only 25 mins to work which was one of the things that I intentionally looked for.   I work 80 hours a fortnight as opposed to 76, but get one day off a month for the extra.  

That's what I mean. It sounds like it's doable in Perth but that is not the whole of Australia.  

It comes back to the same thing we're always talking about:  it all depends which city in Australia you're comparing to which city in the UK.    Someone who's tired of the rat race in London could probably find the same "more relaxed lifestyle" and "better work/life balance" by moving to Edinburgh.

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That's what I mean. It sounds like it's doable in Perth but that is not the whole of Australia.  

It comes back to the same thing we're always talking about:  it all depends which city in Australia you're comparing to which city in the UK.    Someone who's tired of the rat race in London could probably find the same "more relaxed lifestyle" and "better work/life balance" by moving to Edinburgh.

I think it depends too on individuals, it was something we wanted and as a couple/family we've been able to achieve that.  Living in another part of the UK didn't appeal to us, I don't think we'd have achieved the same work/life balance we did here 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ali said:

I think it depends too on individuals, it was something we wanted and as a couple/family we've been able to achieve that.  Living in another part of the UK didn't appeal to us, I don't think we'd have achieved the same work/life balance we did here 

What you're saying is that there were additional reasons for choosing Australia. so even if those things hadn't materialised, there were other aspects that would've made it worthwhile. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

What you're saying is that there were additional reasons for choosing Australia. so even if those things hadn't materialised, there were other aspects that would've made it worthwhile. 

Yes definitely, I do remember that after a while, I felt as if i'd found something that I hadn't known I was missing - nothing materialistic or tangible just a feeling on contentment at a level i'd not had before.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Quoll said:

DH is Aussie 

He was offered a PhD sholarship

Housing included 

It seemed  like a good idea at the time 

Struggling to find half a dozen reasons though.

Same as Quoll.  I married an Aussie.  We lived happily together in the UK for about 5 years then decided to come to Australia just for a change really.  We have been living happily together here for nearly 38 years.  No specific reasons stand out though.  If OH had said way back then "let's give Canada a shot" I would have been just as happy to go there.

• Like 6

For us the top 4 reasons would be 

- an opportunity to try living in another country and having a new adventure

- Better climate, more consistent sunshine

- A more relaxed and enjoyable lifestyle (we enjoy the beach and water sports so not great in Northern UK weather most of the year)

- A more sheltered upbringing for our children

Thankfully we ticked all the boxes and 13 years on are still enjoying life here

Cal x

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Bobj said:

Six? When my dear old Dad came from pow camp in japan, he regaled me with stories of the Australian Diggers and their attitude. It determined my future...I was only six*...

Cheers, Bobj.

Well,  five and a half.

Pretty much what Rommel said about the Diggers.  “If I had to take Hell, I would use the Australians to take it”.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, newjez said:

Ah the old “we’re poms, we only buy what the local supermarket sells”.  They never learn...