Does applying through a migration agent increase the chances of getting a visa?

Jupiter

A lot of people do the application themselves.  RMA's are worth their weight in gold when the issues are complex and you need more direction.  Whilst using an RMA doesn't increase your chances with immigration …. it does increase your chances of getting the application right first time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That would depend on the visa type, whether you have the time and ability to put together a good application yourself, and more importantly whether there are any complications in your situation which need the right approach.  With some visas being very expensive and the wait time long, it can be reassuring to know you have put in the best possible application first time.

For the 309/100 Partner Visa I found it time consuming identifying the documentation and putting it all together in an organised way, but it wasn't difficult as such.

22 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

From the questions you have posted in your other posts, your situation is far from simple and your do not appear to have a good understanding of the process.

This post prompted me to have a look. I have to agree with Raul. I use an agent and my situation isn't complex. There are many aspects of your application that are complicated. You are at risk of loosing a chunk of money, a lot of time and disappointment.

From time to time the minister publishes the percentage of applicants who engage the services of  registered migration agents  for various applications, but has not published (anywhere I can find) the success percentages for DIY cf. representation by unregistered practitioners cf. representation by Registered Migration Agents. A Freedom of Information request might dig this out.

There would be no point in asking how may applicants have hanged themselves by relying on advice from immigration officers.

Under the Code of Conduct RMAs are not permitted to offer 100% success 'guarantees'  in  partner (or any other) applications.

A barrister once told me not to claim 100% success rate, because this could be construed as  a 'guarantee' thereby breaching Clause 2.10 (c) of the Code; so I don't.

Edited by wrussell

12 hours ago, Jupiter said:

If I'm being honest, the whole process seems very simple and it's something I'm more than capable of doing.

By reading your other posts, your case is pretty complex. I am surprised that you would think that you have a simple application. Just for that reason I will contact a RMA.

• 1 month later...

I really did have a straightforward situation so I did it myself ... didn't occur to me to use an agent. However I found it more stressful than I expected in terms of the amount of information to be collated and the time limit placed on providing it once our turn came round. Not sure I would have managed to keep sane without poms in oz!  If unsure, use an agent!

• Like 1

Keep in mind that a migration agent cannot do a lot of the work for you.  They can't write your statements for you, they can't gather the documents or fill in many of the forms.  But what they can do is provide sound guidance on the best visa strategy for your situation, assess your situation and based on their thorough understanding of the legislation (much of which isn't published on the DHA website) tell you what is and is not possible and what you need to do to achieve the strongest application submission, and then make sure you have provided them everything they will need to submit the application.  They then will monitor the application, respond to any queries from DHA and make sure any concerns are addressed in the best way.

Many people are comfortable in doing this themselves and many of those are successful.  Some overlook a small but crucial detail and end up with an expensive lesson.  Some jump in with little knowledge of what's needed and fumble through, others have complex situations and even with a good migration agent they still are not successful with a visa.  So there's no guarantee, but if you want some added peace of mind, engaging a migration agent is a good investment.

• Like 1

others have complex situations and even with a good migration agent they still are not successful with a visa

This is extremely rare when applicants are represented by a REGISTERED migration agent and in my knowledge of such partner cases occurs only when clients have provided false or misleading information, or immigration have bungled the case. I have been involved in several cases where partner visas were bungled and were taken to review. I have not had a finaslised partner visa refused in 15+ years. I have reviews pending for DIY applicants.