Family of 4, do we take the plunge?

NicoleWalt

In your situation then I would not do a recce before the visa. Most people have to do a recce after the visa is granted as once it is granted you must activate it by entering Australia within 12 months of police or medical checks, which ever was earliest. So, about 9-10 months after grant. Many find it is not possible to do the move in that time, particularly if there is a house to sell and so do an activation visit.

In your position, you do need to plan the "what if". In other words what if you have to move back. We are one of a third who did because of lack of work. So, we found ourselves at Heathrow with a suitcase each, no house, no belongings or anything. We don't have children and wouldn't want to have been in that situation if we did.

Good advice if aiming to liquidate slow moving assets...

B

Thank you again for all the recent posts.

A recce definitely sounds a good idea but it's just the costs.

We have spoken and would like to look at Perth as a possibility but also on the other side of the country Brisbane and Townsville.

We have friends in Perth and Airlie Beach who love where they live and as you say recommend us visiting. I have priced up a general 3 week stay with flights, accommodation and cars and it's coming in at £6000 (ish) then we would need spending money for food, travel, being out and about.

Then the visa process I have been advised will cost around £5000.

So that's £13000+ just for a visit and the visa.

We don't have that kind of money available to us at the moment and it would take a while to save.

We would hope to use the equity in our house and selling our belongings for set up in Australia but that money obviously isn't there until we've made the decision and sold up.

Decisions, decisions!

Goodness, don't sell up until you know it's what you want! They reckon that it's going to be a £50k gamble whichever way you go about it so save up your £50k first and don't burn any bridges. And don't go without a job to go to. If you can't afford a trip then you probably can't afford to move.

A recce definitely sounds a good idea but it's just the costs.

We have spoken and would like to look at Perth as a possibility but also on the other side of the country Brisbane and Townsville.

If you were worried about the heat in Perth, then I would think twice about moving to Brisbane or Townsville! Here's a map showing average temperatures during summer across Australia. You'll see that Perth is just in the yellow zone (which is cooler) whereas all of Queensland is in the pink or red (hotter). Also look at the UV map, which shows the intensity of the sun.

UV-index-chart-australia.jpg

Different people have different reactions to heat - I can't cope with hot humid weather, whereas you'll find other people on these forums who just love a sweltering day, so it's a very personal thing! Think about how you react to the heat when you're on holiday in, say, Malaga or Sharm el Sheikh at the height of summer.

However it does sound as though you need to park the whole idea if migration for now, until you're actually free to apply. Once your visa is granted, you have only 9-10 months to arrive in Australia or you will lose it and all your efforts will be for nothing. Some people do apply, get the visa, come for a visit (which is enough to secure the visa), then they can take another 4-5 years to prepare for the move. BUT that means they have to spend money on a visit. If doing that would make too much of a hole in your savings, then that wouldn't be a good strategy for you.

So I'd say, stop thinking about it and focus on getting on with life at home for now. If you're not likely to be free to go for a year or so, there's absolutely no point in researching visas or job markets, because it could all have changed by the time you're ready.

p50-December-February.jpg

p50-December-February.jpg

UV-index-chart-australia.jpg

Edited by Marisawright

I was debating not coming back to this thread after yesterday, but thought I would give it one last look.

I received a really nice message from someone who commented on the negativity of some people and put it into perspective, I also appreciate some of the more balanced posts today.

I couldn't understand why so many people emigrated given how people portrayed Oz and my opinions of life and expectations.

Today having read through the recent comments we still have the itch and will always wonder 'what if' I think.

I think if we can afford it I would like to visit first and allow that to put some things into real perspective and then make a set decision.

In the mean time we will continue to gather info and accept Oz isn't for everyone but could possibly be for us!

Thanks Everyone! ?

Hi NicoleWalt

Thought it was just me that was feeling the negativity here. We are also looking for a balanced perspective on things and its nice some members have recognised how this might feel to a new poster.

Good luck in your journey. We are in the same position and trying to do as much research as possible before we make a decision.

Hi NicoleWalt

Thought it was just me that was feeling the negativity here. We are also looking for a balanced perspective on things and its nice some members have recognised how this might feel to a new poster.

Good luck in your journey. We are in the same position and trying to do as much research as possible before we make a decision.

I think the posta are well balanced and honest to be honest matilda. oz is overblown on shows like "wanted down under" that do not show the reality of living in oz. Sure its nice at first to have some sun but when you have high 30s for a few weeks you start to hate it, plus Oz does get months of cold wet weather with massive floods in some places. Ask anyone what they think oz is like who have never been and the answers will be sunshine outdoor life shorter working week, better standard of life, low crime, better for kids. This the problem it really isnt. its just different with all the problems with crime drugs and anti social behavior that is in the UK. tRY IT THOUGH AS IT WILL BE AN ITCH THAT WONT GO AWAY AND LIVING IN SCOTLAND WHICH SEES VIRTUALLY NO SUN AT LEAST YOU WILL SEE SOME AT LAST.

If you were worried about the heat in Perth, then I would think twice about moving to Brisbane or Townsville! Here's a map showing average temperatures during summer across Australia. You'll see that Perth is just in the yellow zone (which is cooler) whereas all of Queensland is in the pink or red (hotter). Also look at the UV map, which shows the intensity of the sun.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34035[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]34036[/ATTACH]

Different people have different reactions to heat - I can't cope with hot humid weather, whereas you'll find other people on these forums who just love a sweltering day, so it's a very personal thing! Think about how you react to the heat when you're on holiday in, say, Malaga or Sharm el Sheikh at the height of summer.

However it does sound as though you need to park the whole idea if migration for now, until you're actually free to apply. Once your visa is granted, you have only 9-10 months to arrive in Australia or you will lose it and all your efforts will be for nothing. Some people do apply, get the visa, come for a visit (which is enough to secure the visa), then they can take another 4-5 years to prepare for the move. BUT that means they have to spend money on a visit. If doing that would make too much of a hole in your savings, then that wouldn't be a good strategy for you.

So I'd say, stop thinking about it and focus on getting on with life at home for now. If you're not likely to be free to go for a year or so, there's absolutely no point in researching visas or job markets, because it could all have changed by the time you're ready.

Not on that map it isn't Marissa. Take a look at SE Queensland and a few places up the coast and you will see they are not shaded pink. It is in the higher UV range though.

Hi NicoleWalt

..........looked through some of this thread.....

..........and rather than negativity......I feel it's highlighting the possible pitfalls...!

...........lots of practicle advice......

..........but ime it's the mental and emotional state that is often forgotten....

...........it's stressful moving anywhere.....

............add to that its half way round the world from everything and everybody you know.....

.............it's......different.....

.............depending on where you live accessibility to things often taken for granted in the uk...

..............is harder.......

...............to have the same....ie city living.....it's going to be more expensive....

...............how do you live now....?

................walking distance to amenities....?

................will you be happy havving to drive instead...

.................no family....or friends initially for most.....

..................will you cope emotionally in a crisis.....on those days when nothing goes right ..?

..................It's still day to day living....

...................you'd think twice about going out on a rainy day in the uk....just swap that for one too hot here...

....................a lot of migration to me is like getting married.....

....................those that succeed throw themselves mind and body into their new adventure....

.....................those that don't hanker after their past love......

.....................so with all the practicalities covered........you have to be prepared mentally and emotionally....

......................good luck to all those contemplating the move....Xxx

• Like 2

................just to add it's often the little things that try us....!

................a family supposedly returning to the uk because they couldn't find a cordial....!

................there would of been so much more than this.....but it's often the straw that breaks the camels back....

.................so it's about letting go of the familiar.........embracing the new....

.................being mentally and emotionally strong........

.................it's different........but it's a personal mindset to ensure that its in a good way....

Hi NicoleWalt

As I think I said to you before, most of us don't repeat the positives because we know you've already got those in your head. We also know that if we write a post making a list of the good stuff and then a list of the bad stuff, you'll read the good bit and conveniently ignore the bad bit.

The negatives are not exaggerations, they are pitfalls that you need to consider and decide whether they matter to you. It's up to you to articulate the good bits, the bits that you're looking forward to, and then put them on the scales and see how they balance!

Edited by Marisawright

..........and rather than negativity......I feel it's highlighting the possible pitfalls...!

..........but ime it's the mental and emotional state that is often forgotten....

............add to that its half way round the world from everything and everybody you know.....

.............depending on where you live accessibility to things often taken for granted in the uk...

...............to have the same....ie city living.....it's going to be more expensive....

..................will you cope emotionally in a crisis.....on those days when nothing goes right ..?

...................you'd think twice about going out on a rainy day in the uk....just swap that for one too hot here...

....................those that succeed throw themselves mind and body into their new adventure....

.....................so with all the practicalities covered........you have to be prepared mentally and emotionally....

Profound, and very true.

• Like 1

Well you should say the positives because just being negative continually will make people dismiss your views all together.

If someone was giving me feedback and said I assume you know all the nice things about you so I'll just focus on all your faults I would feel terrible.

• Like 1

Well first off I love living here, warts and all, but am retired so in a different situation to the op.

One of the problems about asking for advice on an open forum is that you might not get the answers you were hoping for.

If you are considering emigrating then advice could come across as being negative, as among other emotions you are excited at the prospect, so although you want advice, you don't want your bubble burst with too much negative advice, even if given for the right reasons.

Life in a new country is a challenge, for some it works out, for others sadly not, you have to make your own decision whether to try,or not.

go on the thread with positive stories that might help balance how you feel.

Lots of posters have migrated successfully, but having been on PIO for quite some years, very few bother to post once they are settled.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This ought to be a sticky somewhere, sums it up perfectly.

..........just thought I'd add to my above posts......

..........that convenience we are used to......is a factor of moving here.....

..........I recently stayed in a small uk town.....

..........and found it so easy for day to day living.....

..........the sheer choice....!

...........clothes shops ,supermarkets.....

............meals just needing a microwave.....

............a bus service ,regular and far reaching.....

............here you need to plan more....

............to acess the variety of goods you often need the bigger towns and cities...

............the food available,you find more variety at the markets...

.............making from scratch the usual ime way to go.....

.............it is possible to find good restaurants.......but a concentrated choice you need the more populated areas....

.............distances being one of the biggest challenges initially.....soon becomes a way of life....

..............but we are a creature of habit.....

...............a 20 min drive/ bus ride from home......

...............a ready microwave meal....

...............a flick of a switch for a climate controlled home....

................a phone call and a relative to babysit at short notice.....

.................may not be life here....

.................so migrating is not just moving ourselves and belongings....

..................it's about changing the way with live....

...................the mundane things......the shopping.....

....................planning more.....

....................managing without that family help.....

.....................it's doable......in fact I found it a wonderful experience.....

.....................but Australia is about so much more than sunny days....

......................it's a way of life....IMO....

Of course it all depends where you live. Most of the highly populated parts of Australia have all the conveniences of modern life. What I couldn't abide about the British supermarkets was all the people shoving and pushing round the various meat/cheese/fish displays. Here you almost never get that, and you can browse around and choose what you want without the feeling you are in someone's way. They tend to be more polite and give you more space here. Little daft thing but it makes for a more pleasant shopping experience.

Of course it all depends where you live. Most of the highly populated parts of Australia have all the conveniences of modern life. What I couldn't abide about the British supermarkets was all the people shoving and pushing round the various meat/cheese/fish displays. Here you almost never get that, and you can browse around and choose what you want without the feeling you are in someone's way. They tend to be more polite and give you more space here. Little daft thing but it makes for a more pleasant shopping experience.

I must be living in the wrong part of Australia! Most people I cross paths with, would pretty much knock me down and walk over me to get to the fish counter. An exaggeration of course, but definitely not polite and willing to give each other space - and sadly I find the polite people who will let me pass first, very much the minority. I find the supermarkets one of the things I dislike the most about Australia.

But in order to keep a positive note, some of the things I like the most about Australia, are: Cockatoos, toasted banana bread, automatic gearboxes and the fact there are no 1 or 2 cent pieces.

I must be living in the wrong part of Australia! Most people I cross paths with, would pretty much knock me down and walk over me to get to the fish counter.

Oh, you are! Those Sydneysiders are very aggressive compared to us laid back, polite southerners. :wink:

Where did you live? they are so big in the UK that people do not push other around. Australian supermarkets are tiny in comparison and they do shove you around in their pyjamas.

Australians more polite.....:biglaugh:

Edited by Perthbum

:laugh: As a long time resident and shopper in the UK I can confidently say that I have never ever experienced throngs of people milling around the delicatessen and cold fridges, jostling each other in a desperate attempt to get served! Many of the larger stores operate an efficient ticket system and people simply take a number and wait their turn, while smaller shops with a reduced footfall often recognise customers who are happy to chat or wait. To the best of my knowledge my experience is not unique and family / friends ‘enjoy ‘ a similar shopping experience.

@NicoleWalt – like you we had an itch, a desire to move, a need to establish a different lifestyle for our family. We could have taken the same route as my brother and emigrated but instead decided to relocate within the UK, and have never regretted it. On reflection I think in different circumstances we could have followed my brother’s path and settled, but by the time of that first visit we had already put down roots elsewhere and found a lifestyle that ticks the important boxes. A trip to Aus confirmed it as great holiday destination, but for us it was not home (as in ‘where the heart is’).

That’s our experience fwiw but every poster’s story will be unique to some extent, and even answers to the straightforward questions in your OP will be subject to personal views and opinions. Any move is a risk, but staying put carries an element of risk too – so there comes a point when all you can do is weigh the arguments, cross your fingers, and make a decision. All the best with your deliberations. T x

Australian supermarkets are tiny in comparison and they do shove you around in their pyjamas.

In all my (too) many years frequenting supermarkets I have never once seen a shopper in pyjamas and I have never once been "shoved around" by anyone. We have a ticketing system for the delicatessen section when it is busy which everyone adheres to and people are unfailingly polite and patient when negotiating trolleys in a busy aisle...also when manoeuvring trolleys in and out of lifts.

The only beef I have with supermarkets here is the "music" they often pump through loudspeakers - but that seems to be a ubiquitous fact of modern life.