Never found anything so absolutely relevant ....

Depti72

Really? We aren't that far from Brighten and thought its been very good. Overcast today and yesterday and some rain earlier in the week, but last weekend was a scorcher as was the weekend before. Tomorrow is forecast hot again

Spring has been lovely, and it's promising a good summer, but I have this week off for half term and it hasn't been brilliant. Bit wet and chilly. Had the fire on two days.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still a bit lost.

1. Lost job in UK.

Australian government begged you to come and work for them.

Worked for Australian government but not in Australia but Separated from children who lived in Australia.

Apart from the children bit, this sound like the dream posting.

The Australian government is very particular about making the 'hard' move overseas for its public servants as soft as possible by throwing money at them. I can't work out why the children were not moved overseas also, which the government also throw money at by the way of free schooling, music lessons etc.

What sort of place is so bad that you don't want to live with your children there?

It is the first time I have heard of this, and I have know people to live in places like Papa New Guinea with children.

And how did you suffer on a hell hole overseas posting for so long?

I thought once you served your time, you'd be given the choice of New York... or London even.

I'm still a bit lost.

1. Lost job in UK.

Australian government begged you to come and work for them.

Worked for Australian government but not in Australia but Separated from children who lived in Australia.

Apart from the children bit, this sound like the dream posting.

The Australian government is very particular about making the 'hard' move overseas for its public servants as soft as possible by throwing money at them. I can't work out why the children were not moved overseas also, which the government also throw money at by the way of free schooling, music lessons etc.

What sort of place is so bad that you don't want to live with your children there?

It is the first time I have heard of this, and I have know people to live in places like Papa New Guinea with children.

And how did you suffer on a hell hole overseas posting for so long?

I thought once you served your time, you'd be given the choice of New York... or London even.

I think it's about time you stayed lost then... don't know where you have got your information from but this doesn't apply at all to me and my overseas postings....

Spring has been lovely, and it's promising a good summer, but I have this week off for half term and it hasn't been brilliant. Bit wet and chilly. Had the fire on two days.

You have had the heating on 2 days this week ? It's been hovering around 18- 20 all week here which strangely always feels much warmer in this country.

Hi I just HAD to register for this site when I read the first post which listed all the drawbacks to Oz, every one of which sooo correct good on you for owning up and returning to UK. Ozzie answer to this post "close the door on the way out" along with the stickers on cars "if you don't love us, leave" the copper in our street, in uniform, that says "there's the airport you have a car Fxxx off".

My husband and I arrived here in 1980 when dear old Maggie took our jobs away. We need your qualifications in Australia, broke every rule for emigrating because they "needed" us. When we arrived we found out it was because nobody wanted to experience overseas working, developing countries etc. etc. we were a brilliant "export" we got many jobs for them because we were "British". We received absolutely no "thanks" and we could have done all these jobs out of UK. It split us up from our family both here and UK. I was so homesick, I still am at 77 and 73 respectively I found this site because I wondered if anybody was out there that felt the same way as me. Wish I had looked earlier !!! I knew from the first week in Oz that I would never make it, my thoughts are exactly the same now 35 years later nothing at all has changed and I just feel that I want to "belong" again to enjoy my later years and to die hopefully with someone who cares, that gives me hope because it is an absolute definite that nobody here will bother.

We have returned for many holidays and the people and atmosphere of London, where I worked for 20 years before my departure, never feels any different, the familiarity, the fact that everybody acknowledges you and you go about your business is something that NEVER happens with the small Oz minds. They have a multi-cultural society they complain about because it doesn't "assimilate" this is a two way street, they don't make ANYBODY feel welcome not in their stores, homes, schools, hospitals the list goes on and on.

If anybody reads this that is retired and gone back to the UK ( we both have a full UK pension) and can let us know the plus and minus of the issue I would be so grateful to.

I am just going to read on - other posts are going to reassure me that I am not the only one I am sure.

Definitely not a true blue!!!!

I sympathise and can empathise with your feelings, 9.5 years in Oz and returned back at 66, wife had good job but was finding increasing pressure from lots of different quarters, not really anti pom but more about how they wanted her to to do it their way, which meant basically being their puppet and doing lots of sucking up, so we came back with her at 51.

The country has changed in just the 10 years we have been away, people are depressed, housing is hideously expensive, the weather is very changeable and the summers are poor, that of course is very subjective, getting by I think for pensioners is very hard, and I think the majority of people feel life is a struggle, public services are decimated and struggling, old agecare is difficult to access and costly, and people who work in these areas of work are resentful and everything is so closely controlled by the govt, just a small example I am on a life long drug regime, none of them are expensive drugs I know because I used to buy them over the Internet in Oz because that was cheaper, but now I have to go the surgery every month to get a new prescription, I assume just in case I drop dead one day with 3 months of pills in the cupboard, so as the Chinese say" be careful what you wish for".

I also have a similar complaint here as in Oz, the standards in public life are plumbing new depths which are being exposed in this referendum debate and in the recent Hillsborough enquiry and child abuse enquiry that is starting to happen.

I feel that most of the old communities are splitting in the face of an absurd belief in economic and fiscal austerity which is seeing people forced out of their towns and cities as housing becomes too expensive for older people and youngsters so don't count on the old communities and social structures of 30 years ago still being there.

Sorry to highlight the negatives but those are the issues that I see for older people here unless you have something to supplement the state pension and make life easier..

I am sorry that you have had to soldier on in Oz and now feel like you do, I understand the feelings you are having but unfortunately you may find you feel just as disassociated from the new UK,, would a 3 month trip out here in the winter help you to see here thro less rose tinted glasses.

I really hope you can get some happy resolution

Edited by BacktoDemocracy

I would agree the UK has changed, but it always has and tbh I think few countries or societies stand still, particularly first world democracies. The 1970s was a time of glitz, glamour, strikes, football violence, and few opportunities for ordinary working class people in the UK. The 1980s was typified by yuppies “with loads a money” and increased house repossessions, as ordinary people struggled to pay the mortgage when interest rates rose to 15+%. Since then there have been two Gulf wars, and a global financial crisis the ripples of which continue to batter ordinary people as the government ploughs on with it’s austerity agenda.

But I think this is possibly the harshest government I remember, and some of the most vulnerable in society are paying a high price for their policies. To enjoy all this first world country has to offer (and there is much) it helps if you are in good health, financially secure, and have caring family and friends. Anything less leaves you vulnerable to the huge changes taking place in society. What happens next following the EU referendum is anyone’s guess, however whichever way the vote goes I think it will take some years for the impact to ripple through and in the meantime people will get on with their lives, much as we have always done during previous decades of change. T x

I sympathise and can empathise with your feelings, 9.5 years in Oz and returned back at 66, wife had good job but was finding increasing pressure from lots of different quarters, not really anti pom but more about how they wanted her to to do it their way, which meant basically being their puppet and doing lots of sucking up, so we came back with her at 51.

The country has changed in just the 10 years we have been away, people are depressed, housing is hideously expensive, the weather is very changeable and the summers are poor, that of course is very subjective, getting by I think for pensioners is very hard, and I think the majority of people feel life is a struggle, public services are decimated and struggling, old agecare is difficult to access and costly, and people who work in these areas of work are resentful and everything is so closely controlled by the govt, just a small example I am on a life long drug regime, none of them are expensive drugs I know because I used to buy them over the Internet in Oz because that was cheaper, but now I have to go the surgery every month to get a new prescription, I assume just in case I drop dead one day with 3 months of pills in the cupboard, so as the Chinese say" be careful what you wish for".

I also have a similar complaint here as in Oz, the standards in public life are plumbing new depths which are being exposed in this referendum debate and in the recent Hillsborough enquiry and child abuse enquiry that is starting to happen.

I feel that most of the old communities are splitting in the face of an absurd belief in economic and fiscal austerity which is seeing people forced out of their towns and cities as housing becomes too expensive for older people and youngsters so don't count on the old communities and social structures of 30 years ago still being there.

Sorry to highlight the negatives but those are the issues that I see for older people here unless you have something to supplement the state pension and make life easier..

I am sorry that you have had to soldier on in Oz and now feel like you do, I understand the feelings you are having but unfortunately you may find you feel just as disassociated from the new UK,, would a 3 month trip out here in the winter help you to see here thro less rose tinted glasses.

I really hope you can get some happy resolution

Many, many thanks for your reply. I was rather hoping for this type of answer to my question, I wrote a few things I thought would be relevant to inspire a discussion, but unfortunately bones were picked over and the point of me asking "how other people who had left Oz and returned" got overlooked. I have returned for six weeks in the winter and I left Darwin at the time, so the cold and a walk down Regent Street with the Christmas shoppers and lights was a very welcome sight, rest assured.

Many thanks for your contribution. I totally agree with your summation of change. The comments you have made have been a constant whinge of my brothers, these, sadly will continue with the western world powers, imagine a political world with Trump in it, we will all be changed. I have kept up to date with most of the changes. Oz has changed too. But I am very quickly coming to the point that you mention, with the huge changes in society generally, I don't think any of us older generation feel that we belong in this world at all, coming quickly to the realisation after this forum that I would not be particularly happier if I had to deal with some of these people !!!

After discussing this site with my husband who is not so emotionally involved but still finds Oz "hard". Think we have decided as we have done in many previous discussions over the years that we will let the Poms and Ozzies fight it out between them, better the devil you know than the one you don't, I wasn't looking for an answer, I just wanted to know how people felt. I just think the techno world is sad, people don't know what they feel anymore. If they can just write something on a piece of space the person on the other end will not feel violated is about as far as it goes.... Thanks T xx

I think if you are comfortable in Australia you would probably be comfortable in UK. Of course places change - Australia isn't the place it was 10 years ago either and we would be daft to think any different.

We do have the benefit of living in my parents' home - we would struggle to buy it I know, if we had to. But, having had the chance to visit many places (and I like perusing Estate Agent windows) there are loads of places I would be equally happy to live in if I had a choice. There are some places I wouldn't touch with a barge pole but that's the same the world over.

Having carer responsibilities for 2 older folk and 2 more on the periphery, I have nothing but admiration for the NHS and the way it has met their needs. I have no problems at all with medications for my olds - they are ordered online every 3 months with 6 monthly (or as required) GP visits which is what you would sort of expect in older age. I have yet to have a problem getting them a GP appointment - if it isn't urgent I book ahead but if it is urgent they always have spaces on the day and even if they haven't got a space they have always found one for us.

Socially I find there is so much more to do - whether that is because we are an ageing nation and there are more things geared to the over 50s or not I have no idea but my diary is always full. On my days "off" it isn't expensive to hop on a train to somewhere different with new things to see and do. I love the trains and being over 60 is a bonus with the senior's rail card.

Some things have stung a bit - car insurance came as a bit of a shock when we first arrived but, to offset that, rego was peanuts relatively. I find that I use the car so much less here so the petrol costs even out - I walk everywhere, even 5 miles for coffee is quite usual. Ironically I use it most for going to the gym which is also considerably cheaper than I am used to in Australia.

I guess it all depends what you want out of older age. My DH knows that if he pops his clogs before I do, I will be back in UK (if we have returned to Aus before that) before he is 6 ft under and I think he can see why I want to be here. I've promised to return to Aus with him when my olds are gone but I am wondering whether he will want to stay there either - I have to give him the choice though because I've committed but it wouldn't surprise me for him to turn around and say - "nah, lets move". Give it a go, what do you have to lose?

Yeah, what have I got to lose.....nothing here if I'm not happy... Many thanks for the lovely post. There are many things here that sting a bit if you compare them to somewhere else !! I think my DH knows I wouldn't even be thinking about it if he was 6ft under !!! It's a big move at our age and we know from holidays with the relies that they are not interested in what we do in Oz, we are fit and healthy though we never had health issues, love the gym, walks on all the moors when we are there, we do have some money to ease the burden but I still need my pommie banter, can't live without it or the sense of humour. Only have to take a cruise out of UK to have the biggest laugh at ourselves, lasts a lifetime.

I think it's about time you stayed lost then... don't know where you have got your information from but this doesn't apply at all to me and my overseas postings....

I just had a thought that you might have been in the Army and I feel guilty. I might not like the army, but I love the people in it. If so, thank you for your service.

Just want to point out the obvious, some of us older (age) posters prefer UK and some prefer OZ. we are in our 70's haven't lived in UK for 23 years, we were expats for 10 years before moving to OZ.

We retired to OZ 13 years ago, had no immediate family here, but just felt like living here for a few years.

We struck lucky, were made very welcome and have made fantastic friends, there is as much going on here as there is in UK, we are never bored. We do like that there are so many here in our age group who have chosen to live here from all over Australia and lots of us have moved here from other countries, the multi mix suits us.

Also 2 of ours unexpectedly have followed us here and settled, which is a bonus.

We go to UK every year for on average 3 months, but only because we have 2 grandchildren there, otherwise we wouldn't bother, not necessarily because UK has changed, it just isn't where we want to live any more. We loath the weather there now, froze at Christmas a few years ago, nursing a badly broken arm and shoulder, and petrified of slipping again on icy pavements. Next visit hit the coldest March/April for 50 years, and not sure that my idea of summer in late July/August last year was constant cold rain. Yes sounding negative but that is my perspective.

Of course the Sunshine Coast isn't perfect, no where is but we prefer it.

Not intentionally being negative about UK, not one of those posters who has nothing good to say about one country or another, just posting my thoughts and preferences as another poster in their 70's.

Edited by ramot

Yeah, what have I got to lose.....nothing here if I'm not happy... Many thanks for the lovely post. There are many things here that sting a bit if you compare them to somewhere else !! I think my DH knows I wouldn't even be thinking about it if he was 6ft under !!! It's a big move at our age and we know from holidays with the relies that they are not interested in what we do in Oz, we are fit and healthy though we never had health issues, love the gym, walks on all the moors when we are there, we do have some money to ease the burden but I still need my pommie banter, can't live without it or the sense of humour. Only have to take a cruise out of UK to have the biggest laugh at ourselves, lasts a lifetime.

Assuming we stay in the EU, have you thought about France or Spain ?

Many thanks for your contribution. I totally agree with your summation of change. The comments you have made have been a constant whinge of my brothers, these, sadly will continue with the western world powers, imagine a political world with Trump in it, we will all be changed. I have kept up to date with most of the changes. Oz has changed too. But I am very quickly coming to the point that you mention, with the huge changes in society generally, I don't think any of us older generation feel that we belong in this world at all, coming quickly to the realisation after this forum that I would not be particularly happier if I had to deal with some of these people !!!

After discussing this site with my husband who is not so emotionally involved but still finds Oz "hard". Think we have decided as we have done in many previous discussions over the years that we will let the Poms and Ozzies fight it out between them, better the devil you know than the one you don't, I wasn't looking for an answer, I just wanted to know how people felt. I just think the techno world is sad, people don't know what they feel anymore. If they can just write something on a piece of space the person on the other end will not feel violated is about as far as it goes.... Thanks T xx

Are you still in Darwin, if you are have you thought of moving in Oz, I can imagine Darwin being a bit insular and parochial even by Oz standards, other bigger places are less so and you might find other ex pats with whom to share your view of life without this constant threatening backdrop to your lives.

We are counting on the EU vote to stay in so that we can get out of here to Spain, I am sick and tired of being in the cold and being told how we all have to live with austerity whilst those telling you that are raking it in.

Thanks to everybody... I feel so much better, just the thought that somebody is out there and interested and taking the time to reply and not berating me because I was not grateful. etc. etc. means such a lot. But why would I not expect that, isn't that what I miss.

The point was somehow missed when I said we both worked overseas and we could have done that from the UK. It has been since retirement. If I had to stay here in Oz for 35 years I would have been gone in a flash. Somebody mentioned, quite rightly, my children married ozzies and my six grandchildren are here. I was not involved in their births or growing up which has isolated me from my immediate family, neither of my children want to leave here, they still don't. I hope I instilled some form of patriotism for Australia in them, I never let my thoughts interfere as a bias in anyway, shape or form, they were free to make up their own minds.

My holidays, because of the proximity and cost of either flying to Oz or UK was a choice of my own, money was not an issue, costs remained the same. My parents were alive and sick then so I felt an obligation to spend some time with them.

Both my husband and I feel that we have given our all to more than repay what Oz has given to us. Our full UK pension I have to say is "docked" because we are entitled to full pension here, we have only just given up work....and if we are entitled to pension then it should not be at the expense of our UK one which we paid into. We both had government jobs both here and UK and both of us contributed to a private pension fund, in the UK this is not taxable. Lots of things we planned for in our retirement became very outdated, when the time came to "cash in" we were self funded retirees until the GFC hit and robbed us of any comforts. That is the commercialism of it all, but without a caring word or a welcome when we join an activity or club cannot and will not compensate for any monies, holidays, whatever. Many thanks for all your very kind words of concern.

Come home, Britain despite its problems, is still the best place to live in the world. It's never too late. Ignore the haters, this is a forum for Moving Back To UK. Many are "stuck" down in Australia and have no chance of ever getting out. You can still do it, so I say if you can afford to then go for it. You are always welcome back "home".

agree with john. ive been in Sydney for seven years, just had a trip back to UK/Spain for my brothers wedding.. me and the girlfriend decided on the plane back to Australia that we loved family/close friend time and just being in England too much to ignore. so handed my notice in on my job and apartment and now cannot wait to leave. visiting Tasmania (bucket lister) before I leave, but despite the citizenship, I cant see me returning for a few years.

ill miss the sunny days, beaches and coffee sure, but not enough to make me stay. plus theres better in Europe.

Come home, Britain despite its problems, is still the best place to live in the world. It's never too late. Ignore the haters, this is a forum for Moving Back To UK. Many are "stuck" down in Australia and have no chance of ever getting out. You can still do it, so I say if you can afford to then go for it. You are always welcome back "home".

A review of your posts would mark you as one of the major 'haters' on this site. You still have the right not to be ignored though so your advice is harsh on yourself.

A review of your posts would mark you as one of the major 'haters' on this site. You still have the right not to be ignored though so your advice is harsh on yourself.

Yes, biggest hater on this forum and that's really saying something.

I think I'll put him on 'ignore'. Got to find out how to do it.

what on earth are you two waffling on about. johns on a moving back to the UK forum, of course there'll be an element of pro-UK in his posts. what do you expect? unless he's exposing some subconscious thoughts in your own heads about Australia..

I must be a hater too, yada yada

what on earth are you two waffling on about. johns on a moving back to the UK forum, of course there'll be an element of pro-UK in his posts. what do you expect? unless he's exposing some subconscious thoughts in your own heads about Australia..

I must be a hater too, yada yada

Nothing wrong with being pro UK. I am definitely pro UK.

He's extremely bitter about his whole experience. I don't come on to read "bitter and twisted waffle". He is also arrogant enough to think some of us are stuck here. I get back every year. Doesn't mean to say I want to live in the UK.

Not to worry I've put him on ignore and now I'll do the same to you.

Cheerio

He's extremely bitter about his whole experience. I don't come on to read "bitter and twisted waffle". He is also arrogant enough to think some of us are stuck here. I get back every year. Doesn't mean to say I want to live in the UK.

Not to worry I've put him on ignore and now I'll do the same to you.

Cheerio

hahahhahahaha. oh I'm devastated, wont you give me another chance?

you crack on.. you sound so happy, no idea why you're stalking moving back to UK boards and blocking people who don't share your views on Australia.

hahahhahahaha. oh I'm devastated, wont you give me another chance?

you crack on.. you sound so happy, no idea why you're stalking moving back to UK boards and blocking people who don't share your views on Australia.

It is not compulsory for people returning to the UK to hate everything about Australia though is it or to assume that the only reason they remain is because they are trapped.

I certainly would not have put you in that category fwiw.

There should be no such thing as pro-UK, anti-Australia, anti-UK etc on these forums. That's childish. It's not a patriotism competition. I have no right to say your country is **** and you have no right to tell me my country is crap - every country has its problems, and which country you choose comes down to personal preference.

It's juvenile for some people to keep posting that Australia is the worst country in the world and Britain is the best - that's clearly nonsense. We can all share what we liked and didn't like about both places and that's what we're here for, but exaggerations, distortions and mindless jingoism are not helpful to anyone.