Never found anything so absolutely relevant ....

Depti72

Hi I just HAD to register for this site when I read the first post which listed all the drawbacks to Oz, every one of which sooo correct good on you for owning up and returning to UK. Ozzie answer to this post "close the door on the way out" along with the stickers on cars "if you don't love us, leave" the copper in our street, in uniform, that says "there's the airport you have a car Fxxx off".

My husband and I arrived here in 1980 when dear old Maggie took our jobs away. We need your qualifications in Australia, broke every rule for emigrating because they "needed" us. When we arrived we found out it was because nobody wanted to experience overseas working, developing countries etc. etc. we were a brilliant "export" we got many jobs for them because we were "British". We received absolutely no "thanks" and we could have done all these jobs out of UK. It split us up from our family both here and UK. I was so homesick, I still am at 77 and 73 respectively I found this site because I wondered if anybody was out there that felt the same way as me. Wish I had looked earlier !!! I knew from the first week in Oz that I would never make it, my thoughts are exactly the same now 35 years later nothing at all has changed and I just feel that I want to "belong" again to enjoy my later years and to die hopefully with someone who cares, that gives me hope because it is an absolute definite that nobody here will bother.

We have returned for many holidays and the people and atmosphere of London, where I worked for 20 years before my departure, never feels any different, the familiarity, the fact that everybody acknowledges you and you go about your business is something that NEVER happens with the small Oz minds. They have a multi-cultural society they complain about because it doesn't "assimilate" this is a two way street, they don't make ANYBODY feel welcome not in their stores, homes, schools, hospitals the list goes on and on.

If anybody reads this that is retired and gone back to the UK ( we both have a full UK pension) and can let us know the plus and minus of the issue I would be so grateful to.

I am just going to read on - other posts are going to reassure me that I am not the only one I am sure.

Definitely not a true blue!!!!

So sorry to hear your story ...COME HOME .

Some say that the u.k has changed ,that is definitely true .

More traffic ,more people,but you only ever hear the down side from some .

Let me tell you ,in a lit of ways its better than it used to be ,but you wont hear that .

Iam out and about between Solihull and rural Warwickshire ....

Scenery ,there is no better ...few beers tonight with the lads ,proper pub ...great craic...then a curry .

Shopping tomorrow with my dear wife ( it keeps her happy )

Golf on Sunday,in stunning greenery

It takes some beating

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a hard choice if you leave your family behind -can you afford to travel back to Oz to see them and can you continue to travel as you get older ?

We emigrated in 1982 Maggie bloody Thatcher again with two teenagers both born in the UK

But I left my aging parents and that pulled at my heart strings so often -Dad had a stroke not long after we emigrated

I was an only child so took their grandchildren away from them -they never ever complained though

We travelled back as often as we could which meant we never cut the cord so to speak

2001 we moved back for 5 years to see to my Mam who was ailing -2006 we moved back to Oz when Mam went into a home and had dementia

Once I knew she was well cared for we had missed the kids so much

2013 we thought we could retire to the UK so we did -settled and loved it BUT a few months later my hubby fell broke a hip and the hard work after he came out of hospital made us think why the hell have we done this I had no kids or grandkids for support in the UK

So we moved back to Oz a month ago and yes we are settled

I often say if we had our time over I would not have emigrated at all as it tears at family and friends as well

I am happy enough in both countries luckily good friends in the UK the same in Oz and all of our family is here

With pensions if you get Centrelink pensions they should be portable as its called ie paid in the UK if you move back

But the stipulation for full pension is you needed to have 35 years working life between the age of 16 and retirement or the pension is decreased proportionally

Your UK pension will be frozen at what ever rate it was when you emigrated unless you have paid up the stamps as they used to be called

UK pension is not means tested but if you get the full Centrelink pension the UK wont up your UK pensions to full pensions ( they do if you don't get full Centrelink pensions based on the old reciprocal agreement )

You have the right of abode if you have a UK passport but would need to meet the criteria for Residency if you wanted to try and claim benefits

Its a mine field in some ways

Good luck with what you decide to do its such a hard choice all round

OK, we missed the bit about you working overseas because it was not clear. So what you are saying is that you moved your family to Australia but didn't live there, you actually worked in another country as an expat.

Now you're retired, you've naturally retired to Australia because that's where your family is - but you don't feel at home there. You have a decision that many others have faced - do you move to the UK where you'll feel more at home (but you'll be a long way from family), or do you put up with Australia to be close to your children? It's a common consequence of migration and one that most people don't even consider when setting out as a young couple. The only possible compromise I can think of is to move elsewhere in Australia - you sound as though you haven't travelled much within the country and you might be pleasantly surprised that there are other Australian cities where people are civilised and welcoming.

I have to correct your statement that your UK pension is docked because you receive an Aussie pension: that is not the case. The UK pension is NOT means-tested so there is no possibility of it being docked because of the Australian pension. What happens is that while living overseas, your UK pension is frozen. If you move to the UK your UK pension will increase and you can also use your years living in Australia to make up any missing years in your contribution record.

Since you have a UK pension, you should have declared that to Centrelink when claiming your Australian pension, and in fact it's the Australian pension that would be reduced to take the British pension into account. If that hasn't happened, then you should double-check with Centrelink soon - because if they find out, they will demand you repay any amount overpaid immediately.

If you move to the UK, you'll still get both your UK and Australian pensions. The Australian one may reduce a bit - it would be worth checking with Centrelink to find out.

As for being grateful - why on earth should you be grateful? People get upset because they have an affection for Australia and don't like hearing other people say nasty things about it, that's all. I'm not happy here in England and am heading back to Oz soon - I could say some nasty things about life here and you would probably be upset with me for saying them, because you love England!

I really didn't think I was going to write my whole autobiography to justify everything that I was just making a comment on.... Yes, you are absolutely right about the pension we have done everything correctly and Centrelink have no reason to "find out" anything I just got my pension the wrong way around it was 50c in the dollar deducted from the Australian pension for each dollar received from the English pension, which we paid up fully before we left UK. Either way, I was just asking the question hoping somebody would be able to enlighten me if and when I returned to UK on difficulties they may have experienced.. Trust me I couldn't hear any more unkind words about England than I have already heard in 35 years in Oz or out of it from the Ozzies. Try living in India for 8 years and hear what they have to say about the Raj and how they actually re-enforced how English and Christian we were!!! More manners and Englishness than even the English. I have travelled for 8 years in a caravan and visited far and wide, from Tasmania to Broome to Birdsville you name it, I have the T shirt. I have also travelled from the North Pole to the South and everything in between. It still doesn't mean I don't want to "belong".... if UK doesn't provide it I will not be too far away from not needing to worry anyway, will I ?

I really didn't think I was going to write my whole autobiography to justify everything that I was just making a comment on.... Yes, you are absolutely right about the pension we have done everything correctly and Centrelink have no reason to "find out" anything I just got my pension the wrong way around it was 50c in the dollar deducted from the Australian pension for each dollar received from the English pension, which we paid up fully before we left UK. Either way, I was just asking the question hoping somebody would be able to enlighten me if and when I returned to UK on difficulties they may have experienced.. Trust me I couldn't hear any more unkind words about England than I have already heard in 35 years in Oz or out of it from the Ozzies. Try living in India for 8 years and hear what they have to say about the Raj and how they actually re-enforced how English and Christian we were!!! More manners and Englishness than even the English. I have travelled for 8 years in a caravan and visited far and wide, from Tasmania to Broome to Birdsville you name it, I have the T shirt. I have also travelled from the North Pole to the South and everything in between. It still doesn't mean I don't want to "belong".... if UK doesn't provide it I will not be too far away from not needing to worry anyway, will I ?

It may take you a while to adjust to the coffee so I'd prepare yourself for that.

As for everything else, once you get an address everything will fall into place. Get references if you are going to rent temporarily. Get a letter from your insurance company with no claims etc.

Yes, you are absolutely right about the pension we have done everything correctly... I just got my pension the wrong way around it was 50c in the dollar deducted from the Australian pension for each dollar received from the English pension

From the tone of your post I seem to have upset you somehow, that certainly was not my intent. I'm relieved to hear you just got the pension the wrong way around - I was certainly not suggesting you were deliberately keeping anything secret from Centrelink, just pointing out that if there had been a mistake it was important to fix it asap.

I am sorry that the OP has been unhappy for so long. It is easy in the here and now for European migrants to say - just come home when it is clear it isn't what you want. Perhaps that's the right advice.

But spare a thought for the thousands of migrants from developing countries who must also feel terribly homesick and unsettled, but can't just go back because of the investment and expectation of family and friends in their home country. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing; but many people don't have it in full measure.

But spare a thought for the thousands of migrants from developing countries who must also feel terribly homesick and unsettled, but can't just go back because of the investment and expectation of family and friends in their home country.

So true. I am so spoiled, having the choice - I have nothing to complain about really.

But spare a thought for the thousands of migrants from developing countries who must also feel terribly homesick and unsettled, but can't just go back because of the investment and expectation of family and friends in their home country. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing; but many people don't have it in full measure.

I have heard people on here call those returning 'failures', imagine thinking that is how you will be viewed by some.

I am sorry that the OP has been unhappy for so long. It is easy in the here and now for European migrants to say - just come home when it is clear it isn't what you want. Perhaps that's the right advice.

For someone like myself who's in Australia reluctantly due to family commitments, the O.P.'s story is something of a cautionary tale. For me it highlights the importance of not letting time pass you by to the extent that the greater part of your life has gone by and you're stuck somewhere you don't want to be. Reading it made me conscious of the need to keep on scoping out opportunities for my family and I to find some way to slot back into a life in the UK. To the OP, I sincerely hope you manage to make it home and find your happiness there when you do.

For someone like myself who's in Australia reluctantly due to family commitments, the O.P.'s story is something of a cautionary tale. For me it highlights the importance of not letting time pass you by to the extent that the greater part of your life has gone by and you're stuck somewhere you don't want to be. Reading it made me conscious of the need to keep on scoping out opportunities for my family and I to find some way to slot back into a life in the UK. To the OP, I sincerely hope you manage to make it home and find your happiness there when you do.

any light at the end of the tunnel for you?

any light at the end of the tunnel for you?

Not at the present time mate, but reading about the OP's situation strengthens my determination to make it happen. :shocked:

It's been a crap start to summer in the south east, but at least we missed the French German floods. Summer starts this afternoon apparently.

Really? We aren't that far from Brighten and thought its been very good. Overcast today and yesterday and some rain earlier in the week, but last weekend was a scorcher as was the weekend before. Tomorrow is forecast hot again

Really? We aren't that far from Brighten and thought its been very good. Overcast today and yesterday and some rain earlier in the week, but last weekend was a scorcher as was the weekend before. Tomorrow is forecast hot again

Yes I have to agree, these last few weeks have been great and our tortoises have been loving it. Lol.

It's been a crap start to summer in the south east, but at least we missed the French German floods. Summer starts this afternoon apparently.

Summer hasn't started yet 21 June!!! It rained down our way on Tuesday - must be the end of the world!

So you knew from the first week you didn't like it and stayed 35 years is it? Don't be too upset, the UK won't be how you remember it.

Reminds me of the person who kept a stone in her shoe to remind her which foot to limp on...

Cheers, Bobj.