Never found anything so absolutely relevant ....

Depti72

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now back in sunny Queensland and very happy. Just wanted to let you know my situation regarding opening a bank account in the UK. This was early 2015. Because I had lived in Australia for so long I had no credit rating in the UK, so could not open a bank account in my name. My brother lives in the UK and opened the account for me using his long term address. I could not get a credit card until my account had been opened for 3 months. I had the same problem with getting a mobile phone plan, again this account was opened in my brother's name and I just paid him back by direct debit. I can completely understand why the banks do this. Even if you have money to open up the bank account they also want proof of where the money came from because of money laundering. Take as much information to the bank as possible. They were not interested in any credit rating I had in Australia. On my return to Australia, I was advised by the bank to leave my account open even if there is hardly anything in the account. Hope this helps.

Now back in sunny Queensland and very happy. Just wanted to let you know my situation regarding opening a bank account in the UK. This was early 2015. Because I had lived in Australia for so long I had no credit rating in the UK, so could not open a bank account in my name. My brother lives in the UK and opened the account for me using his long term address. I could not get a credit card until my account had been opened for 3 months. I had the same problem with getting a mobile phone plan, again this account was opened in my brother's name and I just paid him back by direct debit. I can completely understand why the banks do this. Even if you have money to open up the bank account they also want proof of where the money came from because of money laundering. Take as much information to the bank as possible. They were not interested in any credit rating I had in Australia. On my return to Australia, I was advised by the bank to leave my account open even if there is hardly anything in the account. Hope this helps.

A point I have made before, if you keep a UK bank account open make sure you make a transaction at least once a year? Check your banks conditions as Banks can freeze an account if not used over a certain period.

Don't worry you will be fine, you would think you have to be interviewed by MI6 the way some carry on lol. It might take a week but it's hardly a major worry.

So, how long did it take you to find a place to live when you moved back, Bristolman? You can't even apply for a bank account until you have proof of a permanent UK address. Then it takes about two weeks after that to get it approved and your card, PIN etc sent out.

@pommysheila I am so very sorry for your loss and circumstances, it sounds like you are a fighter and very strong (perhaps without realising it), you have gone through tough times in your life and never given up and keep finding a way. I agree with some of the other comments about having some time to settle whilst you are grieving, Dr's these days are allowed to refer persons to get 6 sessions with therapists / counsellors and this could be a way of dealing with grief etc. By no means am I suggesting you need counselling, but having someone to listen if you don't have close friends or family may be a good outcome.

I love animals and so happy to hear you took on a rescue dog, and they bring a special kind of love and make are life so much richer.

Wishing you well and so glad you're reaching out on this forum to discuss and talk - glad to hear you're not bottling it all up xxx

Bank account - not that I've gone to England to test this out; but when I applied for my passport I used an agency and organised my first appointment / interview with bank (in London) when I arrive (date to be confirmed). I will get bank account on same day - I can only do this with the banks they align with (choice of 2). I need to use the London banks rather than other branches as they have arrangement with the agency I used. Also have NI ready to go through same agency - again will have this finalised upon my confirmation when I go to England. Fingers cross it works out and goes through as planned.

Hello Sue

Thank you for your kind letter, I have just got back from Chloe walk. I didn't go into to much but when we first were left here I had a lot of council we had to live with Salvos for a while till my family could get some money to me. The hubby had drawn from the Bank didn't leave anything. He was wanted for a long time but they never caught him. People in the village new who we were that we had just been left here after only 2 years. Eventually I did all the courses that I could do even had a retail course I had been in retail for 20 years in the UK but only could get on a course here.So that really was the big problem I came here not having a clue just a country pumpkin. I am not crying in my milk but people should be aware there is no reason why Australia should give you a job if you don't measure up and it was my husbands skills they wanted not mine. I have had plenty of therapy since still under Doctor but the loss of my husband is just too much at times and I feel that if I went back I may be able to find me because this is not me I am friendly,caring and would help anybody if I could I have quite a good sense of humour but I haven<t seen her for a while. I am not really a fighter but what is the alternative but I do wish I could have a chat with my Mom. I am hoping the doggies win at the weekend. xx

@pommysheila

Good to hear you're getting out and about and taking in the fresh air. Do you have any contacts back in your home town in England or could you make Facebook connections and start chatting online etc? If you're thinking about moving back at some point would a holiday to check it out be something you could do? I know it's expensive to take holidays - if you could build some contacts in the area you're hoping to move to and have a look around first might see if this is what you want to do long term.

I still think you're selling yourself short, you sound like a strong resilient person who has got through some tough stuff in life xxx

My team the West Coast Eagles is out, would be hard for me to choose the doggies as I love cats, haha, but will let it go if it makes you happy. You do have a sense of humour and that is important, you're allowed to laugh and enjoy life even though your beloved has passed on, he would want you happy and smiling - so glad you're trying to do that xx

Hi I just HAD to register for this site when I read the first post which listed all the drawbacks to Oz, every one of which sooo correct good on you for owning up and returning to UK. Ozzie answer to this post "close the door on the way out" along with the stickers on cars "if you don't love us, leave" the copper in our street, in uniform, that says "there's the airport you have a car Fxxx off".

My husband and I arrived here in 1980 when dear old Maggie took our jobs away. We need your qualifications in Australia, broke every rule for emigrating because they "needed" us. When we arrived we found out it was because nobody wanted to experience overseas working, developing countries etc. etc. we were a brilliant "export" we got many jobs for them because we were "British". We received absolutely no "thanks" and we could have done all these jobs out of UK. It split us up from our family both here and UK. I was so homesick, I still am at 77 and 73 respectively I found this site because I wondered if anybody was out there that felt the same way as me. Wish I had looked earlier !!! I knew from the first week in Oz that I would never make it, my thoughts are exactly the same now 35 years later nothing at all has changed and I just feel that I want to "belong" again to enjoy my later years and to die hopefully with someone who cares, that gives me hope because it is an absolute definite that nobody here will bother.

We have returned for many holidays and the people and atmosphere of London, where I worked for 20 years before my departure, never feels any different, the familiarity, the fact that everybody acknowledges you and you go about your business is something that NEVER happens with the small Oz minds. They have a multi-cultural society they complain about because it doesn't "assimilate" this is a two way street, they don't make ANYBODY feel welcome not in their stores, homes, schools, hospitals the list goes on and on.

If anybody reads this that is retired and gone back to the UK ( we both have a full UK pension) and can let us know the plus and minus of the issue I would be so grateful to.

I am just going to read on - other posts are going to reassure me that I am not the only one I am sure.

Definitely not a true blue!!!!

What an upsetting post. I find it so sad that you have spent all those years living somewhere that you weren't happy and wonder why you stayed so long. i lived outside the UK from the mid eighties until seven years ago and understand the homesick element of living away (and I was only the other side of the channel!) I remember my first sad Christmas away from the rest of the family as clearly as though it happened last week.

I can understand you staying for the work even when you weren't happy (done that too) but thirt five years? Really? I settled in my new home eventually, despite the difficulty of communicating with neighbours (new language to learn) and making new friends. But eventually retirement arrived and we came back to Wales to keep an eye on my mum. If you are interested, we found it very easy to make friends, though mostly on a superficial level, and consider ourselves well settled. But the UK has changed, of course it has. The one big difference we have noticed has been in the health service and it isn't good. We have found that once you can get to see the expert you need, the care is fantastic but the grass roots care where we live is awful. Even this is patchy though - a recent thread on here revealed big differences in individual experience. Otherwise we are content ... Except that our family is now inAustralia. so we intend to move over there some time next year.

We have been visiting the Sydney area for twelve years now and have found most people friendly and pleasant, in shops, cafes and bars. We have fallen into casual conversation with people more times than I can count, and have friends we meet when we are over there. We have found other cities in Australia friendly and welcoming too, so I hope we aren't in for a big shock when we actually make the move.

If we do find its a big mistake a couple of years down the line, you know what? We'll chalk it up to experience and come home. that's what aeroplanes are for.

And no, we aren't mega rich, it would cost us dearly. But we believe life is for living.

I don't think you are ever too old to make a change, so what are you waiting for? as my dad used to say "you're a long time looking at the lid."

Edited by Fisher1

I find it so sad that you have spent all those years living somewhere that you weren't happy and wonder why you stayed so long...

I can understand you staying for the work even when you weren't happy (done that too) but thirt five years? Really?

I agree, it's incredibly sad that someone should be stuck somewhere they're not happy for such a long time. We've got several people on PomsinOz in that boat, but usually it's because they're married to an Australian (or a Brit if they're stuck in the UK). For a couple to say they knew it wasn't right in the first year, and yet stay all that time, I'm very curious why they stayed.

I agree, it's incredibly sad that someone should be stuck somewhere they're not happy for such a long time. We've got several people on PomsinOz in that boat, but usually it's because they're married to an Australian (or a Brit if they're stuck in the UK). For a couple to say they knew it wasn't right in the first year, and yet stay all that time, I'm very curious why they stayed.

I stayed because I thought there was an escape clause and my turn would come one day. Unfortunately, for a couple who are generally so very good at reading each other's minds, we both got that one totally wrong! It all turned out ok in the end and we are now very specific about the next steps and I can live with that as our compromise situation shifts from one to the other. He is now much more inclined to travel than he used to be so when we do return to Aus he will travel with me more.

I think had things not gone this way my mental and physical health would have driven me into an early grave.