Who's leaving Australia in 2016

paul1977

Arrived a few weeks ago and we've realised it was a big mistake to leave the UK! We have booked our return flights for early July and will complete 6 mo the work and go home,we plan to enjoy every minute but have no intention of living here permanently.Grass isn't always greener and we've learnt that!

good luck with everything

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrived a few weeks ago and we've realised it was a big mistake to leave the UK! We have booked our return flights for early July and will complete 6 mo the work and go home,we plan to enjoy every minute but have no intention of living here permanently.Grass isn't always greener and we've learnt that!

Wow...that's a quick turnaround!!

I wonder what it was you were looking to get out of the move to Aus?

enjoy your 6month adventure, it will be memories to look back on

I can understand that, Australia is in many ways my home, I grew up there and it moulded my life BUT I just don't feel at home when I am there. It can seem like such an alien place. I definitely agree, the grass is often greener exactly where you are.

Although we spent a lot to get here the cost has been worth it! Our life in the UK was fine,a good nursery for the kids,nice neighbours,good jobs,our house-home! we made friends,had hobbies and it was all good.The promise of better drew us to Oz but it is not better just different! If I won a Ferrari i would be over the moon but after a few weeks it would just be my car and the novelty would wear off.I think for us Oz would be like that!People and yourself can only make you happy! Back home we go but only after enjoying 6 months in Oz!

Although we spent a lot to get here the cost has been worth it! Our life in the UK was fine,a good nursery for the kids,nice neighbours,good jobs,our house-home! we made friends,had hobbies and it was all good.The promise of better drew us to Oz but it is not better just different! If I won a Ferrari i would be over the moon but after a few weeks it would just be my car and the novelty would wear off.I think for us Oz would be like that!People and yourself can only make you happy! Back home we go but only after enjoying 6 months in Oz!

You hit the nail on the head, I don't see it so much nowadays but even less than a decade ago it was surprising how many people made the assumption that going to Australia just automatically gave you a better life, that is of course absurd. There is nothing magical about the country, you arent given a good life at the airport.

Then keep on trashing Oz from the UK

I'm hardly on here now due to said few idiots lol

Who really cares though. I'm happy and that's all I care about :daydreaming:

I do feel sorry for really homesick people who begin to suffer from depression because of it but that's not this country's fault though - would happen wherever they moved to. I don't have much time for the ones who constantly compare prices, weather, health systems etc.

:mask: Lets not derail or spoil the thread with an argument about trashing or not trashing.

People who are planning to leave Australia in 2016 is the topic. Other topics and chit chat, please go discuss elsewhere.

:mask: Big font below so it isn't so easily missed :cute:

I had posted not far above this and it seemed to be missed (or ignored/forgotten very quickly).

This thread is who is leaving Aus in 2016. Of course chat about that but lets not please take it away from that topic at every turn or start asking questions of others in this thread who have no plans to leave Aus or have not said they are leaving Aus. Go start a new thread to ask that stuff of the membership. Or drop a specific person a PM.

And while I am here, lets not make this a UK v Aus thing or a bashing thread. There are plenty of other places to go do that and other threads to argue it all over in (again).

Thanks in advance. Again.

July 2016 after 12 years in Vic. We've loved living in Australia, but now find we need to reconnect with our cultural roots and start planning next steps from the UK to retiring in France or Spain - the adventure continues!

Sounds fab :)

My parents looked into retiring to France a number of years ago and almost did but they were really particular about the area and housing and only a couple ticked their boxes and none made that much of an impact on them to want to buy. A few years ago my mother lamented not buying a house there and wistfully sighing it was now too late to make the move and they should have done it 10-15 years ago. Still, they have a gorgeous cottage with lovely gardens and are happy but I think they both wish they had gone back then.

I guess southern Spain has its appeal for climate but parts of northern Spain are stunning and I'd have happily moved there. Some wonderful towns and scenery to be found.

Enjoy your research and planning :cute: and good luck with it all :)

Sounds fab :)

My parents looked into retiring to France a number of years ago and almost did but they were really particular about the area and housing and only a couple ticked their boxes and none made that much of an impact on them to want to buy. A few years ago my mother lamented not buying a house there and wistfully sighing it was now too late to make the move and they should have done it 10-15 years ago. Still, they have a gorgeous cottage with lovely gardens and are happy but I think they both wish they had gone back then.

I guess southern Spain has its appeal for climate but parts of northern Spain are stunning and I'd have happily moved there. Some wonderful towns and scenery to be found.

Enjoy your research and planning :cute: and good luck with it all :)

Thanks!

My father had the same approach with Spain and didn't make the move. He ended his years living in the UK and regretting it on a daily basis - not for me! I don't care in what I end up living in; caravan. boat, cardboard box etc, but do care where I end up :wink:

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone as an over 60's who is waiting to go to Oz (143 applied April 2015) I am curious as to why most people want to leave is it to be with family and friends, European culture or financial??? We want to go as our daughters and little grandchild are

there and we have no close relatives left in the UK. I know I will miss the historic buildings in Europe, friends, etc and it doesn't make much sense financially but we miss our family in Oz so much. A little more sun would be good too but don't think I will like the hotter

days. We hope to live in central coast NSW so any tips would be appreciated, looks like it could be another year before we get visas though as immi have such a backlog.

Good luck to all of you returning to UK

Hi everyone as an over 60's who is waiting to go to Oz (143 applied April 2015) I am curious as to why most people want to leave is it to be with family and friends, European culture or financial??? We want to go as our daughters and little grandchild are

there and we have no close relatives left in the UK. I know I will miss the historic buildings in Europe, friends, etc and it doesn't make much sense financially but we miss our family in Oz so much. A little more sun would be good too but don't think I will like the hotter

days. We hope to live in central coast NSW so any tips would be appreciated, looks like it could be another year before we get visas though as immi have such a backlog.

Probably not the best thread or section to be posting about going TO Australia but good luck with your move.

family and friends, especially for our kids growing up here without family in their life. Sounds like you are coming here for reasons most go back to the UK. Good Luck!