Who's leaving Australia in 2016

paul1977

Apologies, that wasn't my intention. I was merely putting into words my own thoughts on how my own life may or may not pan out.

When we lived in Wallasey we used to go on many a day out to the Wirral. Lovely area - that was well over 30 years ago. Hope it hasn't changed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I was returning in 2016 with my hubby n bubs. Trying to get my head around getting my Aussie hubby a visa. Can't afford the 60 odd thousand as don't have a house to sell so now looking into me getting a job offer. Just want to be back there already. Hard being torn between two countries.

I wish I was returning in 2016 with my hubby n bubs. Trying to get my head around getting my Aussie hubby a visa. Can't afford the 60 odd thousand as don't have a house to sell so now looking into me getting a job offer. Just want to be back there already. Hard being torn between two countries.

The job market is very good - particularly in the south east. Getting a job paying the required amount should not be hard. Even if you don't want to stay in the SE, it gets the visa.

The job market is very good - particularly in the south east. Getting a job paying the required amount should not be hard. Even if you don't want to stay in the SE, it gets the visa.

We were saying that just today, we are amazed at the amount of work around these parts and we are a long way from the SE. The wage required for the visa as you say should be easy to get.

I have to say I'm surprised how lively the job market seems to be all across the South.

Wait till the next big projects start!

Heathrow runway is massive - In order to build it, they need to demolish and rebuild this:- A couple of thousand houses, west London's biggest industrial park, the power station and then sink the M25 into a tunnel. Although officially it hasn't been given the green light, I know that all the quarries in the area have been told to start getting ready - it is about to go ahead.

Then there is Cross Rail 2 - for anyone not familiar, it is a massive rail system that will link south London to North West London / Heathrow. Cross Rail 1 is still not yet finished and this is the biggest engineering project in Europe. It is a underground rail linking east to west London.

Then there is HS2 which is going to have massive amounts of engineering done in the area such as building new stations, underground areas, tunnels and all sorts.

We've been in the UK for a decade now, having previously lived in the Middle East for 19 years and India for 7 years. We are moving to Australia to be with family, having realised that it's lovely to have amazing friends and neighbours but in the end you need family around.

It's quite strange really - a vast majority are heading back to the UK to be with family and I know for a fact if we had family in the UK we would never move. We love the UK, it's funny, good natured and you always appreciate a sunny day. I used to get depressed in the start on those dark winter days but now we love it, especially the start of Autumn and the tail end of winter into Spring. Everything livens up, you get crisp chilly winter mornings and slowly see the birds fly in and start singing. It is busy in the bigger cities but if you live in a town or village, no matter how big or small your home, it's still a great place to live and enjoy life.

Wish everyone coming back here the best, we have enjoyed our 10 year pit stop in the UK and now wait for our grant to come through to move on to our next destination!

KnK

Wait till the next big projects start!

Heathrow runway is massive - In order to build it, they need to demolish and rebuild this:- A couple of thousand houses, west London's biggest industrial park, the power station and then sink the M25 into a tunnel. Although officially it hasn't been given the green light, I know that all the quarries in the area have been told to start getting ready - it is about to go ahead.

Then there is Cross Rail 2 - for anyone not familiar, it is a massive rail system that will link south London to North West London / Heathrow. Cross Rail 1 is still not yet finished and this is the biggest engineering project in Europe. It is a underground rail linking east to west London.

Then there is HS2 which is going to have massive amounts of engineering done in the area such as building new stations, underground areas, tunnels and all sorts.

Still think it makes more sense to extend Gatwick, or even look at that airport in Kent which was mothballed.

Visiting Perth at the moment. I do remember reading on several threads that many people were leaving the UK because of immigrants. Well, having been here two weeks, I can tell you Perth is one of the most multi cultural cities I've seen. Sure has changed. Vibrant mix of people. All of them seem to be getting on.

Visiting Perth at the moment. I do remember reading on several threads that many people were leaving the UK because of immigrants. .

I've seen that a couple of times and don't quite get why they think Australia will be different. I do know that coming from Sydney, I still find it a bit odd not to see Chinese faces here - they're such a huge part of the Sydney population.

I've seen that a couple of times and don't quite get why they think Australia will be different. I do know that coming from Sydney, I still find it a bit odd not to see Chinese faces here - they're such a huge part of the Sydney population.

Haven lived in Sydney, I agree. In fact I have had many a chuckle over the years at people saying they are leaving the UK to go to Sydney because of all the immigrants. I can just picture them arriving in Burwood lol.

The big difference in attitude, and I am trying to be generic here, is that immigrants in Australia, on the whole, tend to mix openly resulting in a real multicultural society. In fact, Australia has a much more diverse set of people from so many different parts of the world and yet people get on (for the most past) and you get to see true multicultural societies. The driver for this is the reason for moving and the feeling of being part of Australia forever

For example, here in the UK things are quite different. I think that is down to the fact that there has never been an option to migrate here with a PR. Going back 10 to 15 years, people came here on Work Permits, Skilled Visas or worked after their Masters and had to do so for 5 years before they were eligible for a PR. This resulted in a huge number of immigrants who always had one foot back in their home town and ended up sticking to their own groups and not mixing freely. No one was ever sure if they would survive here for 5 years on salaries dictated by UKBA to be eligible to apply

Lot of my work colleagues and friends across the South see this a lot, the number of Asians have increased in the past decade but dont really mix. Immigrants with well paid jobs who prefer living in smaller towns and countryside also tend to stick to their own little group which slowly erodes the town community feeling. At the moment there are still a lot of Asian techie people coming over to work for a year or two on work permits and then fly back. They dont tend to mix with the community because they know they wont be here forever. The same is true for a lot of the recent European migrants coming over. I know a few and they are wonderful people but they always tend to stick to their own groups as they don't believe they will be here forever

And I am not being biased. If you go back to the 50s and 60s when a lot of Asians and Africans came over (Textile, shipping, metal industries, services and doctors, nurses, teachers etc), they knew they were coming here to live and integrated quickly into society. They came here with a future plan to be part of a community and worked hard in making sure that community did well and they were an active part of it. Unfortunately, towns and cities that tend to get a lot of migrants these days dont get to see that side of them any more which doesnt lead to a multicultural feeling at all

KnK

I must admit after close to 30 years in Australia I see absolutely no difference whatsoever, in both countries most people mix and get on very well and in both countries there are those who dislike other nationalities and we see evidence of this all the time. I see multiculturalism in both countries, the facts just don't support what you are saying Kenneth.

The big difference in attitude, and I am trying to be generic here, is that immigrants in Australia, on the whole, tend to mix openly resulting in a real multicultural society. In fact, Australia has a much more diverse set of people from so many different parts of the world and yet people get on (for the most past) and you get to see true multicultural societies. The driver for this is the reason for moving and the feeling of being part of Australia forever

For example, here in the UK things are quite different. I think that is down to the fact that there has never been an option to migrate here with a PR. Going back 10 to 15 years, people came here on Work Permits, Skilled Visas or worked after their Masters and had to do so for 5 years before they were eligible for a PR. This resulted in a huge number of immigrants who always had one foot back in their home town and ended up sticking to their own groups and not mixing freely. No one was ever sure if they would survive here for 5 years on salaries dictated by UKBA to be eligible to apply

Lot of my work colleagues and friends across the South see this a lot, the number of Asians have increased in the past decade but dont really mix. Immigrants with well paid jobs who prefer living in smaller towns and countryside also tend to stick to their own little group which slowly erodes the town community feeling. At the moment there are still a lot of Asian techie people coming over to work for a year or two on work permits and then fly back. They dont tend to mix with the community because they know they wont be here forever. The same is true for a lot of the recent European migrants coming over. I know a few and they are wonderful people but they always tend to stick to their own groups as they don't believe they will be here forever

And I am not being biased. If you go back to the 50s and 60s when a lot of Asians and Africans came over (Textile, shipping, metal industries, services and doctors, nurses, teachers etc), they knew they were coming here to live and integrated quickly into society. They came here with a future plan to be part of a community and worked hard in making sure that community did well and they were an active part of it. Unfortunately, towns and cities that tend to get a lot of migrants these days dont get to see that side of them any more which doesnt lead to a multicultural feeling at all

KnK

Don't think so. Just think it takes time.

I am not saying the immigrants are bad or dislike other nationalities, I am saying that my experience over the last 10 years has shown me time and again that migrant workers who come in first as workers rather than permanent residents dont successfully integrate as well as those who arrive on day 1 knowing they have the choice of living here permanently. It's my experience having lived through it at work and across a few cities, it isnt a generic statement applicable to every single migrant. I have, at my work, been surrounded by many in this boat and seen how things are. I think it's the situation of not knowing their longevity in the UK that makes a lot of them that way, I don't know for a fact but that's what it leads me to believe

In case of European migrants, there's lot of coverage in the media that a majority dont tend to mix and integrate with the community although, in this case, I am not so sure. From my limited experience, I have seen both sides of the coin, one group love to come out with us be it at work functions or family gatherings for dinners, chats, laughs etc while another group only go to each other's places to have a nice time and avoid everyone else.

From what I have read on this forum/heard from family out in Australia and compared to our as well as our friends experiences in the UK, I feel that multiculturalism is more 'real' and 'true' in Australia compared to UK, it could be just the groups of people we mix with but the same groups out in Australia, I have heard, mix a lot more.......we will only personally know after we land there and spend comparable amount of time in the community

KnK

I am not saying the immigrants are bad or dislike other nationalities, I am saying that my experience over the last 10 years has shown me time and again that migrant workers who come in first as workers rather than permanent residents dont successfully integrate as well as those who arrive on day 1 knowing they have the choice of living here permanently. It's my experience having lived through it at work and across a few cities, it isnt a generic statement applicable to every single migrant. I have, at my work, been surrounded by many in this boat and seen how things are. I think it's the situation of not knowing their longevity in the UK that makes a lot of them that way, I don't know for a fact but that's what it leads me to believe

In case of European migrants, there's lot of coverage in the media that a majority dont tend to mix and integrate with the community although, in this case, I am not so sure. From my limited experience, I have seen both sides of the coin, one group love to come out with us be it at work functions or family gatherings for dinners, chats, laughs etc while another group only go to each other's places to have a nice time and avoid everyone else.

From what I have read on this forum/heard from family out in Australia and compared to our as well as our friends experiences in the UK, I feel that multiculturalism is more 'real' and 'true' in Australia compared to UK, it could be just the groups of people we mix with but the same groups out in Australia, I have heard, mix a lot more.......we will only personally know after we land there and spend comparable amount of time in the community

KnK

Well I can only comment on the basis if my 30 years in Australia and I see no difference whatsoever. Most of the Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese, Vietnamese or whatever other nationality here came here as migrants not workers. I'm not really sure what you mean that it is more 'real' to be honest. The UK has been multicultural for centuries and from our experience of both countries there really is no difference.

You realise there are also a huge number of migrant 'workers' in Australia as well ?

Can I ask how long you have spent in Australia Kenneth ?

I find it hilarious and downright hypocritical when people say they want to "get away from immigrants" when in fact they are going to become an "immigrant" themselves !

Generally most these immigrants contribute a lot to society, although there may be some who do not integrate, refuse to learn the language of their host country and therefore become unemployable, but this is the case in any country not just in the UK.

Australia has committed to take and resettle its equal share of North African refugees fleeing war too if this is what they are on about .

The sad thing is when they get to Australia, they will not only find the exact same social issues they will face in most developed countries, but they become the "immigrants" themselves and expect people to welcome them.

In fact, they may find things worse given the much smaller population into which immigrants have to integrate into down in Australia.

All governments and voters are becoming far more liberal and left wing than they used to be, whether people like it or not.

The world is changing wherever you go, running away wont fix anything.

People have to live & let live and just get on with it, which thankfully most do.

Haven lived in Sydney, I agree. In fact I have had many a chuckle over the years at people saying they are leaving the UK to go to Sydney because of all the immigrants. I can just picture them arriving in Burwood lol.

Never understood that either. Australia is a country of immigrants for goodness sake. Perhaps the folk who say they are leaving the UK because of all the immigrants have the very old fashioned idea that Australia is just for British migrants. Australia is open to anyone from any part of the world and it is all the better for it.

Answering to bristolman : We havent set foot in Australia which is why I heed to the experience of those who have been there. We will be coming down for a few weeks in May to get a feel before we move later this year

To JockinTas and Ambivored : We have been looked at as migrants all our lives because we have kept moving, even when I stayed for 6 years in my so called home country for uni I was looked at as a migrant, fun days. So being someone who has been through that experience for most of my 35 years, I can tell a thing or two about migrants choosing to be part of the community doing their very best against those who dont give a hoot and enjoy the company of their 4 walls :)

KnK

and it never occurs to them that people might look down on them as migrants the way they look down on migrants to the U.K.

Exactly my point.

They then become the "immigrants" themselves, but think that its "okay" for them because they are British.

How hypocritical is that ?

Brits who come with a sense of "entitlement" thinking that because they are British, white and speak the same language are in for a huge shock because in Australia, the "land of immigrants", its all "fair dinkum".

Being British doesn't mean you will enjoy "almost an aussie" status.

@Kenneth Pinto - you will find your statements are not accurate for the whole of Australia, any more than they're true of the whole of the UK. Sydney is certainly multicultural (although it still has redneck pockets) but out in the country, you'll find people are quite intolerant and even racist.

I had to go to A&E i Southampton for a minor incident recently and was treated by a Filipino RN. In a bizarre way, it made me feel quite at home!

@Kenneth Pinto - you will find your statements are not accurate for the whole of Australia, any more than they're true of the whole of the UK. Sydney is certainly multicultural (although it still has redneck pockets) but out in the country, you'll find people are quite intolerant and even racist.

I had to go to A&E i Southampton for a minor incident recently and was treated by a Filipino RN. In a bizarre way, it made me feel quite at home!

I dont disgree one bit. I have been saying from the start it's been my experience and observations as we moved around the UK, nothing more. There is obviously a lot more of positive multiculturalism in the UK compared to negative, I was trying to draw a comparison to it's extent in the two countries. So my views are not for a majority, I am explaining what I think the meaning of being multicultural is in terms of work and living in the community.

My views on Australia too have been from posts on here and from family and friends in Syd/Mel so I will only know the true picture once I myself live in Australia, and I accept responses from more experienced folks who have lived it over mine that's just from reading forum posts!

KnK

Answering to bristolman : We havent set foot in Australia which is why I heed to the experience of those who have been there. We will be coming down for a few weeks in May to get a feel before we move later this year

To JockinTas and Ambivored : We have been looked at as migrants all our lives because we have kept moving, even when I stayed for 6 years in my so called home country for uni I was looked at as a migrant, fun days. So being someone who has been through that experience for most of my 35 years, I can tell a thing or two about migrants choosing to be part of the community doing their very best against those who dont give a hoot and enjoy the company of their 4 walls :)

KnK

I would say from my experience, integration of migrants is about the same as the UK or anywhere else. Some seem to have integrated very well, others not. My wife has done teaching to migrants to learn English in the UK and Australia and in both, some don't want to and have no desire to integrate. Some want to.

It is something that Brits are just as bad at as others - there are plenty of "little Britain" areas of Perth for example full of Brits who shop at the British shops, have other British friends and only watch British TV.