I'm tired of the incessant sunshine and warmth. No wonder so many people want to go home!

MARYROSE02

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always loved being near water be it a river, a lake or the ocean. I like to stand on the shore near the house and look out over the sea and think - not another human for 285 miles. We are a lot further away from the mainland than England is from France. I love island living! :cute:

Studies have shown that bodies of water, especially the ocean, have a calming affect on the brain which helps create a sense of general wellbeing.

Really. I didn't know they had studied it.

I find being near the beach very relaxing.

I love the "sea air" it smells great, gives me a good appetite and helps me sleep well.

I can see the beach from my street (awesome sunsets and rises) - extremely beautiful scenery which I find calming and relaxing.

But best of all, walking barefoot along the beach and paddling in the waves, puts me into a sort of super relaxing meditation state. Best way to de-stress there is I reckon.

I never really enjoyed walking on the beach in the UK. Too cold. Too many pebbles. Too much donkey poo.

But walking in the sun along an Australian beach and maybe having a cheeky ale or wine afterwards is the bees-knees for me.

Really. I didn't know they had studied it.

I find being near the beach very relaxing.

I love the "sea air" it smells great, gives me a good appetite and helps me sleep well.

I can see the beach from my street (awesome sunsets and rises) - extremely beautiful scenery which I find calming and relaxing.

But best of all, walking barefoot along the beach and paddling in the waves, puts me into a sort of super relaxing meditation state. Best way to de-stress there is I reckon.

I never really enjoyed walking on the beach in the UK. Too cold. Too many pebbles. Too much donkey poo.

But walking in the sun along an Australian beach and maybe having a cheeky ale or wine afterwards is the bees-knees for me.

you really need to visit better UK beaches. There are beaches in the UK that would rival or beat Australian beaches.

Personally i I can live without it. We live meters from the beach. My boundary back wall is the boundary of a lake. I am also less than 200m from the beach. I can hear the waves as I lay in bed. But, I spend less than 6 hours per year at the beach - other than walking the dog. The only reason I walk the dog there is to give him a run that is both legal and not as likely to be bitten by a snake.

If that's all you see then I feel sorry for you. The fascination for most, is being beside the sea as illustrated by Stacey's post.

It does not matter where you go whether in OZ or UK, you can find seats with little plaques on them that tell you about someone who loved to sit there.

Lakes and rivers work just as well. I find that any blues I have lift when I go to a beach.

you really need to visit better UK beaches. There are beaches in the UK that would rival or beat Australian beaches.

Personally i I can live without it. We live meters from the beach. My boundary back wall is the boundary of a lake. I am also less than 200m from the beach. I can hear the waves as I lay in bed. But, I spend less than 6 hours per year at the beach - other than walking the dog. The only reason I walk the dog there is to give him a run that is both legal and not as likely to be bitten by a snake.

Absolutely, I'm not a beach person but this ridiculous idea they are all pebbley is naive at best.

Absolutely, I'm not a beach person but this ridiculous idea they are all pebbley is naive at best.
Care to illustrate where and who quoted that they were all pebbley? One poster who likely is referring to their local beach in the UK and you chip in supporting an Oz v's UK post

Great beaches in both, but as I like swimming, the UK beaches are wasted on me and a pain to get to from where I have worked.

Pebble beaches can be nice though, crystal clear water on some pebbly beaches I swam at in Ibiza this summer

Great beaches in both, but as I like swimming, the UK beaches are wasted on me and a pain to get to from where I have worked.

Pebble beaches can be nice though, crystal clear water on some pebbly beaches I swam at in Ibiza this summer

Yes, I was amazed at how clean the water was at Brighton when we visited...............me coming from Blackpool 'n all

19696818682_c4e0f112d4_b.jpgLC5A7786 by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

19516510960_1fef03507b_b.jpgLC5A7746 by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

19518218389_86225e00de_b.jpgIMG_2005 by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

Great pics, Loving the guy lying down, can't be comfortable!

Cylinder beach on stradbroke island is one of my favourite beaches for sand and clear water. Good pub nearby too.

Yeah I wouldn't go in but I want to go up there. I just like sitting or walking on a beach but I probably won't even really go in the water in Australia either. Can't swim and I'll just worry that I'm shark food. There looks a cool outdoor pool in Sydney but I can't remember where it is, might splash around that

Yeah I wouldn't go in but I want to go up there. I just like sitting or walking on a beach but I probably won't even really go in the water in Australia either. Can't swim and I'll just worry that I'm shark food. There looks a cool outdoor pool in Sydney but I can't remember where it is, might splash around that

My favourite outdoor pool in Sydney is the one at North Sydney next to Luna Park. Great view of the bridge and the city.

If you go to a patrolled beach you will be safe Stace. The lovely lifesavers won't let you drown (although you could pretend to if you want to get up close and personal) and the shark spotting planes should ensure you don't get munched :)

Go to Hyams beach if you get the chance. It was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as having the whitest sand in the world. It is also very soft and feels lovely to walk on. It is also really safe as it's a bay beach rather than a surf beach. Actually all the beaches in Jervis Bay are gorgeous and there are lots of different types of accommodation for all budgets.

Yes there are nice beaches in England but many of them do have stones including my favourite beaches at Lepe and Calshot in Hants. Most Aussie beaches have sand rather than stones.