I'm tired of the incessant sunshine and warmth. No wonder so many people want to go home!

MARYROSE02

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry when I arrive it'll probably rain and go cold :laugh: I'm a bad luck charm

When are you due to arrive again? It doesn't rain a lot in Sydney but when it does, it buckets down - I can almost guarantee you'll never see rain like it.

What makes me laugh is the way the weather forecasters describe it. You know that thing about Eskimos having several different words for snow? I never realised it, but the Brits have several different words for rain, depending on what kind of rain it is - mist, drizzle, shower, rain, heavy rain, downpour, etc. In Sydney the rain is always pretty much the same (pouring!) - so the forecast only uses one word - but it's the one they picked that makes me laugh, considering how heavy the rain is. It's "showers".

When are you due to arrive again? It doesn't rain a lot in Sydney but when it does, it buckets down - I can almost guarantee you'll never see rain like it.

What makes me laugh is the way the weather forecasters describe it. You know that thing about Eskimos having several different words for snow? I never realised it, but the Brits have several different words for rain, depending on what kind of rain it is - mist, drizzle, shower, rain, heavy rain, downpour, etc. In Sydney the rain is always pretty much the same (pouring!) - so the forecast only uses one word - but it's the one they picked that makes me laugh, considering how heavy the rain is. It's "showers".

did you see the one about how many words Scotland has for snow lol. I've been in some bad downpours abroad but be interesting to see what Sydney is like. I arrive on the 6th so people prepare for rain haha

Don't worry when I arrive it'll probably rain and go cold :laugh: I'm a bad luck charm

I'm not saying it will be like this for you Stacey but I arrived in Sydney 34 years ago and started work a few days later. For 4 weeks it was dull or rained every weekend and during the week when I was working the sun shone :eek: I was really looking forward to enjoying going to the beach but the weather just wasn't kind to me until mid-December.

The weather in Sydney can be quite changeable up to Christmas. We had friends stay with us for Christmas one year. They arrived on 20th December and it was so cool we put the heater on one evening!! :eek: But it's usually warm. The hot weather is January, February and March even into April. It can also rain very heavily during those months too.

I quite like warm nights, I'd say I struggle more during the day. We had one day in Florida that must have been 40oc. We went to St Petes beach for a day trip and I honestly felt like I was cooking inside. Dave and his sister were the same and they are normally sun worshipers. So those are the days you'll find me in a freezer or a air conditioned place

The weather in Sydney can be quite changeable up to Christmas. We had friends stay with us for Christmas one year. They arrived on 20th December and it was so cool we put the heater on one evening!! But it's usually warm.

One Christmas Day I had to wear a cardy and ask for a hot toddy (hot coffee and whiskey) in a restaurant as I was so cold. The next year it was nearly 40'C and the air conditioner over loaded and broke down.

I quite like warm nights, I'd say I struggle more during the day. We had one day in Florida that must have been 40oc. We went to St Petes beach for a day trip and I honestly felt like I was cooking inside. Dave and his sister were the same and they are normally sun worshipers. So those are the days you'll find me in a freezer or a air conditioned place

On really hot days many people go to the shopping center or cinema - rather than beach.

Because there is free air conditioning there.