I'm tired of the incessant sunshine and warmth. No wonder so many people want to go home!

MARYROSE02

Guest The Pom Queen
Its been bloody cold down here this winter, ive had to scrape ice off the windscreen five times

I couldn't cope with Melbournes climate now it's either too hot or too cold.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That just shows you know nothing about up here. Townsville is dry tropics not wet tropics.

According to the Department of National Parks the Wet Tropics extends from Cookstown to Townsville but I certainly don't take what they say as gospel, they hAve definitely been wrong before. From a Southerners POV I always considered Townsville wet tropics but always willing to learn.

Guest The Pom Queen
According to the Department of National Parks the Wet Tropics extends from Cookstown to Townsville but I certainly don't take what they say as gospel, they hAve definitely been wrong before. From a Southerners POV I always considered Townsville wet tropics but always willing to learn.

Townsville is in a dry corridor which is a quirk of geology which shaped the coast line many moons ago. The SE trade winds run parallel to Townsvilles coast from Prossy to Rollingstone and because of the shape of the coast it pushes rain straight past Townsville.

I have to admit I didn't realise this myself until I looked in to it, I could never understand why Cairns down was always so Green, Townsville was brown and then South of Townsville was green again, now I know. I do know now why Cairns locals always called it Brownsville.

Townsville is in a dry corridor which is a quirk of geology which shaped the coast line many moons ago. The SE trade winds run parallel to Townsvilles coast from Prossy to Rollingstone and because of the shape of the coast it pushes rain straight past Townsville.

I have to admit I didn't realise this myself until I looked in to it, I could never understand why Cairns down was always so Green, Townsville was brown and then South of Townsville was green again, now I know. I do know now why Cairns locals always called it Brownsville.

There you go, I never knew that. I have only driven through Townsville once and didn't think much of it really.

What's with these never ending 'oh the weather is like this at the moment in Sydney' threads ? Seriously I would like to think most people aren't shallow enough to be so concerned about the weather. As for comparing the weather between the 2 countries, get over it. People don't come to the UK for the weather or go to Australia for culture or history.

I used to get beaten over the head with this rhetoric when we lived on the Gold Coast! Even the Shrink I saw there was incredulous that I could possibly prefer London to Queensland! Mind you, he did make a point of telling me during every session that he was a keen surfer, so that possibly explained a few things. :wink: When my OH told her (English) boss that we were leaving, his first response was to say "think of all the things you're giving up, like, durr, sunshine!" I think he thought that this was his trump card and that she'd immediately reconsider, seeing as Melbourne is situated somewhere inside the Artic Circle as far as people in Queensland are concerned!

Where's the fun in not reading threads lol. It's just ridiculous, oh today it was 17c and it's winter and it's warmer than the UK. How many times do we need to know the temperature in Sydney ? :laugh:

And how many times do we need to know you live in a cottage in a village and you find the UK much cheaper?

I used to get beaten over the head with this rhetoric when we lived on the Gold Coast! Even the Shrink I saw there was incredulous that I could possibly prefer London to Queensland! Mind you, he did make a point of telling me during every session that he was a keen surfer, so that possibly explained a few things. :wink: When my OH told her (English) boss that we were leaving, his first response was to say "think of all the things you're giving up, like, durr, sunshine!" I think he thought that this was his trump card and that she'd immediately reconsider, seeing as Melbourne is situated somewhere inside the Artic Circle as far as people in Queensland are concerned!

I used to just turn off, it wasn't enough to say you liked Australia you had to declare undying love and I wasn't prepared to do that. I don't care that its warmer, there are so many things to make up for that.

There are tons of people who have said to me that they couldn't live in Tasmania ................... so cold, nothing to do yadda yadda yadda. By the same token I couldn't live in Queensland. Everybody is different. I just like a temperate climate and rolling countryside and most of all - peace and quiet. That would drive some folk round the bend but not me. I love it.

There are tons of people who have said to me that they couldn't live in Tasmania ................... so cold, nothing to do yadda yadda yadda. By the same token I couldn't live in Queensland. Everybody is different. I just like a temperate climate and rolling countryside and most of all - peace and quiet. That would drive some folk round the bend but not me. I love it.

I don't think I would live in Tasmania because I would feel cut off, having said that it does look beautiful. Very English in a lot of ways.

I don't think I would live in Tasmania because I would feel cut off, having said that it does look beautiful. Very English in a lot of ways.

I like being cut off :laugh: After living in Sydney and often working nearly 50 hours a week - this is the life for me. I can fly from Devonport to Melbourne and Sydney whenever I want but after 19 months here, I really have no interest in going.

I like being cut off :laugh: After living in Sydney and often working nearly 50 hours a week - this is the life for me. I can fly from Devonport to Melbourne and Sydney whenever I want but after 19 months here, I really have no interest in going.

The rat race would kill me, it's why I love living rural. I see nothing to recommend cities at all, any city, anywhere.

I can fly from Devonport to Melbourne and Sydney whenever I want but after 19 months here, I really have no interest in going.

I remember a post a while back from someone who had moved from Melbourne to Launceston. She said the trip to her Launceston home from Melbourne was shorter than her daily commute when she had been living in Melbourne. :shocked:

We have very good Aussie friends of ours in devonport ...jockintas....

There's a lot to be said for it .....she used to travel extensively,that's how we met her .

Now ,because of terrorism,she's even frightened to go to Sydney now

When the **** hits the fan ,and it will ...tassie and n.z are good options.

N.z is where a lot of the worlds elite are preparing to move themselves.....

We had her over in the u.k with us .....she loved the cotswolds....we had to take her to Broadway for afternoon tea...bloody funny

Me ,a brummie .afternoon tea...perish the thought

We have very good Aussie friends of ours in devonport ...jockintas....

There's a lot to be said for it .....she used to travel extensively,that's how we met her .

Now ,because of terrorism,she's even frightened to go to Sydney now

When the **** hits the fan ,and it will ...tassie and n.z are good options.

N.z is where a lot of the worlds elite are preparing to move themselves.....

We had her over in the u.k with us .....she loved the cotswolds....we had to take her to Broadway for afternoon tea...bloody funny

Me ,a brummie .afternoon tea...perish the thought

Is something happening that we haven't been told about...seriously? Alot of the world's elite are moving to NZ ?

Is something happening that we haven't been told about...seriously? Alot of the world's elite are moving to NZ ?

I have just written a long reply and deleted it .....but I have heard the super wealthy are edging their bets in case things go pear shaped, have you seen how much pieces of art are fetching ,its seen as a safe money guarantee.....the super wealthy are getting out of the line of fire .....n.z...cook islands and iam sure parts of oz would be a good bet.

I have always said australias greatest gift may be its geography not its economy.....

I will leave it at that ....

As I said I could put up a long post ,but we all watch the news.

Haha, oh come on you're kidding yourself, winter here lasts for at least 13 months.

Having grown up and spent most of my life in oz, I find it funny that I don't like hot weather. 20 - 25 is perfect. Over 30 is a pain unless you are at the beach.

In my mind, today was perfect.

We are dreading the Summer heat.Always have,The sand flies with teeth,the humidity, the restless hot nights trying to get to sleep.Sweating Just standing there and feeling wet.Afraid the Sunshine Coast has lost it's glow for us. Sunshine none stop every single day is over for us.It's back to the Beautiful English 4 seasons for us.Depending on the exchange rate.Afraid the Aussie $ could plummet to .30 to the pound, the way things are going. A lot of people are going to be trapped here, out of work and big mortgages to pay.