I'm tired of the incessant sunshine and warmth. No wonder so many people want to go home!

MARYROSE02

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people genuinely do like to be near the sea. My husband hated it when we lived inland. Maybe it's because he grew up by the coast that it feels normal. Maybe there's something deeper psychologically?! I could happily live surrounded by fields.

It's funny because I've recently worked out that I feel the same, and wondered why. Interesting to read about the research.

Edited by Marisawright

Most of the nicest beaches in this country are sand just like anywhere else in the world.

I"m not trying to tell you that Aussie beaches are 'better" than Pommie ones, just saying that many Pommie beaches have stones rather than sand, including the two best beaches in the world for me, Lepe and Calshot. You are closer than me. Go and check them out. I imagine it's a geographical reason why they have stones. I seem to recall many other beaches along the south coast of England are the same. Brighton perhaps? Sidmouth? Chesil Beach? I know that other beaches, Newquay for example (my favourite West Country beach and town) has lovely sand, as does Tenby. I don't know any Sydney beaches that are predominantly stones rather than sand. If you were here, I would take you to every one of them to "prove" it. If I was back in Hampshire, I could take you to Lepe and Calshot, and other beaches nearby and "prove" that they are mainly stones. Lepe has some sand, but in the main it is stones. Calshot is the same, stones on the beach, though at low tide there is plenty of sand visible.

oh wow, that looks lovely.

Hyams Beach - one of my favourites

Looks even better in real life

And you can camp in Jervis Bay National Park:

http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/south-coast/jervis-bay-and-shoalhaven/jervis-bay/attractions/nsw-jervis-bay-national-park

Certainly worth a visit Stacey.

Some great beaches in Northern Scotland I agree.

One of my favourites too.

I also like the Boy Charlton pool by the Botanic Gardens.

But the best pools I reckon, are the free ocean rock pools found at most Sydney beaches.

Yes my fave is at Bronte with both natural rock pool and man made pool next to each other.

I went to Nielsen Park on Monday, first time for a few months. Can be hassle to park but it has everything, natural bush setting. wonderful views, good for families, plenty of shade, Cafe, two cafes maybe, historic mansion. I keep meaning to apply for ticket for NYE.uploadfromtaptalk1444431886556.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431741253.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431775292.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431807147.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431837272.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431862313.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431741253.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431775292.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431807147.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431837272.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431862313.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1444431886556.jpg

I have been to hundreds of UK beaches. Most of them were shite. Except for a couple of nice wild deserted ones in Cornwall, Wales and Scotland.

Also I have never seen a snake on a beach in Australia.

Although I once saw an adder near a Norfolk beach.

Last year on a beach in Devonport :shocked:

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/2730383/snake-on-beach-not-unusual-says-handler/

Laying on a pebbly beach can sometimes act like a massage.

Especially if the stones are warmed from the sun prior.

Think of Maseur massage sandals for your feet - pebbles work same principle for your back.

My memory of Brighton, admittedly 25 years ago, was stones and dog poo. Come to think of it, that favourite beach of mine - Lepe - with its marvellous foreshore walk was always covered with dog poo.

And you can camp in Jervis Bay National Park.

Looks like the link says you can't. But there is a camp ground near by I believe.

Personally I hate camping from very bad experiences in Wales, Scotland and the New Forest in Hampshire. I am sure camping in Australia would be much more pleasurable, but those incidences from my youth put me off for life.

When I go to Jervis Bay area, I either stay in a motel or splash out for a romantic getaway beachside cottage. Or stay in Kangaroo Valley which is another fantastic option as near a National Park full of beautiful waterfalls.

Snakes are commonly found on beaches.

Goodness can no-one read properly on this forum!

I have already agreed that snakes CAN be found on beaches!

I have read of people who have seen them on beaches - although personally I have never actually seen one on a beach in OZ.

But I did come close with an adder in the UK near a beach.

I am speaking from MY personal experiences here because who elses personal experiences could I possibly speak from!

Snakes on beaches? I don't like snakes but I'm far more wary of blue bottles. I've never seen a snake on a Sydney beach. In the bush certainly along with spiders. Actually I've seen very few snakes and spiders, sharks or stonefish even if I know they are all there just waiting to pounce! I've never been stung by a blue bottle either.

Last Time We were down Sydney way, at Manly Beach, Were had to watch we didn't step on a used syringe.They were even Shooting up, in the pub.Te Stein I think the name was..Nice Beach but awful goings on.Foul Mouthed drunks anddrug takers.

Last Time We were down Sydney way, at Manly Beach, Were had to watch we didn't step on a used syringe.They were even Shooting up, in the pub.Te Stein I think the name was..Nice Beach but awful goings on.Foul Mouthed drunks anddrug takers.

I like Manly. Spent many a happy time there and never observed foul mouthed drunks or druggies shooting up. Might be different at night though.

You are a right moaner Zack. You need to lighten up and be happy. Life is too short and you're a long time dead.

Edited by JockinTas

And what did the Police say when you reported this criminal activity to them?

Steyne Hotel on the corner of the Corso opposite the beach. I've but been there for a long time.

You could be unlucky and step on a syringe. They are all around Surry Hills. Then again in both this country and UK they dump syringes in post boxes hence the warnings to wear gloves and watch out for "sharps".

Where would Zack's utopia be I wonder? England? Australia? Somewhere in between?