Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't have a clue and not bothered, if a meal tastes nice what difference does it make ? Are pubs supposed to have all their food fresh in the cupboard and hope it all sells. Every pub in the world uses frozen food.

Of course they do, but to different degrees. I'm sure most pubs use frozen chips and pre-prepared vegetables because it's too labour intensive to prepare them by hand - but that's not the same as taking a whole prepackaged meal and just chucking it in the microwave.

In many Sydney pubs the kitchen is visible from the bar and you can see they're cooking fresh meat or fish etc. Those are the ones I'm more likely to frequent.

I'm always suspicious of pubs and restaurants that have a huge selection of dishes because they couldn't possibly have all those ingredients fresh or even individually frozen, so they must be frozen meals. If I'm just looking for something cheap then I don't mind but if I'm looking for a good dining experience then I'd rather go somewhere with a smaller range that's freshly prepared.

The most unexpected places can be guilty of serving prepackaged. I was in a city restaurant in Sydney once - not one of my usual places because it's on the pricey side and I didn't think much of the food, but it wasn't my choice. A group of Spanish tourists arrived at the next table and couldn't understand the menu, so I did some translating for them. One of them wanted the salmon but asked if it could be served without sauce and with a different vegetable - and the waitress said no, because it was all prepackaged like that! The Spaniards walked out!

Once again I suggest you actually read the menu, it clearly states that all £4, 6 and 8 meals come with a choice of chips, mashed potato or rice. I suppose I will be accused of hiding that fact lol

I might not agree with you often!!! But you are correct, at the bottom of the 4pd menu it does state those are included.

Still won't go there though.

where's my like!!!!

thank you

Edited by ramot

Once again I suggest you actually read the menu, it clearly states that all £4, 6 and 8 meals come with a choice of chips, mashed potato or rice. I suppose I will be accused of hiding that fact lol

I apologise. You are correct. It's in a small box at the bottom of column 3 on the second page. I didn't see it until you pointed it out.

Has anybody noticed that it's nearly always food people argue about on here. Wether it's about it being too expensive.. Too cheap.. Snobby.. Not snobby enough. The price of lemons. The state of the sausages etc :laugh:

And they will even argue when the facts are right in front of them ;)

I also apologise bristolman. My excuse is I'm old, tired and cranky tonight :frown: I usually get fed up of all the Aus v UK thing - don't know why I added to this thread really. Bit pointless.

No problem, I was quite surprised to see you wade in to be fair lol

I also apologise bristolman. My excuse is I'm old, tired and cranky tonight :frown: I usually get fed up of all the Aus v UK thing - don't know why I added to this thread really. Bit pointless.

Likewise unusual for for me as well, but I'm bored.

No, I questioned a few figures. A point of view to an extent can't be incorrect, it's like an opinion.

Yup, and no matter how many times you repeat that opinion to make sure it is heard, it doesn't make it anymore valid...