Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I I don't like Jamie Oliver neither he's over rated ! I am off my rocker lol ! I'm not joking when I go again I will take pictures of the menu ! I've been in a pub and show u between 38 and 42 I've paid ! Dollars ! And u can conclude all u like I shall reserve judgement on u my dear !

I didn't say you didn't pay $42 in a pub for a steak, what I did imply is that when you're surrounded by people who are enjoying their meals -- maybe it isn't the food or restaurant that is at fault...

Guest The Pom Queen
And I can walk in a country pub in UK and get proper hand cut chips not frozen shite !

I have also owned 5 pubs in the UK and can confirm with the other two members that pub food is not "homemade" the only way you would get homemade is if it was quiet and they had plenty of time on their hands. Chips were frozen, cakes were frozen, meat, fish, veg, chilli, pies everything. It's like working at a maccas everything needs to be quick and easy. Then you have portion control especially with the managed houses so their only way is to go ready made.

I have also owned 5 pubs in the UK and can confirm with the other two members that pub food is not "homemade" the only way you would get homemade is if it was quiet and they had plenty of time on their hands. Chips were frozen, cakes were frozen, meat, fish, veg, chilli, pies everything. It's like working at a maccas everything needs to be quick and easy. Then you have portion control especially with the managed houses so their only way is to go ready made.

well the one me and my mate go at Stanley which is cheap as well does proper hand cut chips lol :)

I didn't say you didn't pay $42 in a pub for a steak, what I did imply is that when you're surrounded by people who are enjoying their meals -- maybe it isn't the food or restaurant that is at fault...

ok sorry about that bit !

But I don't know what they thinks good then lol :)

i I would rather cook my own fillet :)

Guest The Pom Queen
well the one me and my mate go at Stanley which is cheap as well does proper hand cut chips lol :)

You are lucky then. I remember fish and chips at Blackpool were always frozen rubbish but go to Scarborough or Whitby and they were fresh and delicious. I don't know if they have changed to frozen these days.

A place serving up a dud steak for $40 won't last long. Can pay that or less and go to Iconic Brisbane pubs like the Breaky Creek, Morrison or Norman. Hell if i'm paying that much I would expect a river view in the city. Reminds me can get buy 1 get 1 free at Kingsleys through the enetertainment book have a view of river and story bridge.

Guest The Pom Queen
Looks great, when we going? :ssign20:

When you get your backside up here. I will be a cheap date anyway seen as I can't eat :tongue:

A place serving up a dud steak for $40 won't last long. Can pay that or less and go to Iconic Brisbane pubs like the Breaky Creek, Morrison or Norman. Hell if i'm paying that much I would expect a river view in the city. Reminds me can get buy 1 get 1 free at Kingsleys through the enetertainment book have a view of river and story bridge.

Yes i u der stand that but who wants go to the city all the time lol

I was just laughing about this thread with my MIL who managed a pub near Manchester in the 1960's.

She said even back then food was delivered frozen and just had to be warmed up or thrown in the deep fry lol. She thought it was wonderful when the brewery said she didn't have to cook from scratch anymore.

You can go country pubs in UK and find proper cut chips and homemade pie ! I know a cafe aswell and she bakes all her own stuff ! The weath spoon type pubs yes they are frozen dinners but u will get country pubs ! My grandad ran a pub the Earle grey pub in leek and my other grandad ran the Bulls vaults in Newcastle u Lyme when I was a girl and served proper food there too but today will be hard find pubs that do unfrozen meals but I know where to go in UK ! And also the chips and stuff are frozen here too !

Sure but expect to pay 15 pound a dish for something of the quality of a 25 dollar dish in oz.

Had a look some decent looking places to eat in Cleveland with good reviews

Sure but expect to pay 15 pound a dish for something of the quality of a 25 dollar dish in oz.

Had a look some decent looking places to eat in Cleveland with good reviews

I mi do pay that aswell 15 pound upward for a meal in UK ! And I've not had a bad one ! The pubs I go

and I also can go a country pub and get proper hand made chips for a fiver and homemade pie ! Lol well obviously I haven't tried every where in brissie yet but neither have I tried everywhere in UK I just find what I like and stick to what I know ! and also I've paid far more than 25 dollars for my meals in brissie and they haven't been great spice ave is good he does as I like it I just ask him lol and he doesn't mind at all !

I'm sorry it isn't homemade for a fiver or they are going out of business. How would that cover overheads?

Fresh fish? How awful

. Yes it is homemade my mate knows the landlord and yes awful fresh fish grose ! Needed chucking back in the sea it was enough turn my stomach looking at it :) anyway I'm just about get my eyebrows waxed to toddle pip lol

I I don't like Jamie Oliver neither he's over rated ! I am off my rocker lol ! I'm not joking when I go again I will take pictures of the menu ! I've been in a pub and show u between 38 and 42 I've paid ! Dollars ! And u can conclude all u like I shall reserve judgement on u my dear !

I think what people are saying, Shelley, is that you've told us about that ONE pub that served you a 38 dollar steak and we believe you - but that's one pub, and I could find dozens of pubs in Sydney that would serve you a decent steak for $15. You can't say a whole country is "more expensive" on the evidence of one snooty pub and pretend the others don't exist. Anyway, why you even went in there I can't understand, if I saw the steak was that price I'd have walked straight out again.

Edited by Marisawright

Just for clarity are people saying that pubs in Australia all produce their own food fresh each day from the finest local produce ? Also that all pubs in the UK buy in cheap frozen crap made from imported produce ? It is ridiculous as I feel as though I am being called a liar because the pubs we eat in actually make their own meals. I have noticed absolutely no difference in the quality of fresh food here or Australia, the belief that fresh food in Australia is just so much better is just bizarre. I can buy a beautiful steak cooked exactly as I want it with real chips for £6. I really couldn't care if people don't believe me or want to try and twist what I am saying. For some it seems it's not enough to say I genuinely don't see any difference between fresh produce in either country, you must say it's better in Australia even if it isn't the case.

I think what people are saying, Shelley, is that you've told us about that ONE pub that served you a 38 dollar steak and we believe you - but that's one pub, and I could find dozens of pubs in Sydney that would serve you a decent steak for $15. You can't say a whole country is "more expensive" on the evidence of one snooty pub and pretend the others don't exist. Anyway, why you even went in there I can't understand, if I saw the steak was that price I'd have walked straight out again.

Hi im just in taxi to airport lol , no I've been a few pubs like that and paid around that and also a fillet for 15 dollars don't like rump break me teeth lol it's got be a fillet if 15 dollars I can find a fillet I'll be in there Marrisa haha xx

I really couldn't care if people don't believe me

So why do you post in response every time somebody has an experience that is different to you own? "Are we kidding ourselves?" - no you are not. People have different viewpoints to your own, just leave them be.

So why do you post in response every time somebody has an experience that is different to you own? "Are we kidding ourselves?" - no you are not. People have different viewpoints to your own, just leave them be.

Why does anyone do that ? It's just human nature.

If indeed eating out is cheaper in the UK overall - and I am not wading into that circular debate on the prices in individual pubs/restaurants - it is very likely to have something to do with the substantial disparities in labour costs in the two countries. Australia has a much higher minimum wage than the UK and many hospitality workers in the UK earn little more than the minimum wage. So for those enjoying their £6 steaks or whatever perhaps spare a thought that the people cooking and serving it just as you like it are probably on a pittance.

If indeed eating out is cheaper in the UK overall - and I am not wading into that circular debate on the prices in individual pubs/restaurants - it is very likely to have something to do with the substantial disparities in labour costs in the two countries. Australia has a much higher minimum wage than the UK and many hospitality workers in the UK earn little more than the minimum wage. So for those enjoying their £6 steaks or whatever perhaps spare a thought that the people cooking and serving it just as you like it are probably on a pittance.

It's an interesting take on it really, today the UK minimum wage is equivalent to $13 but 3 years ago it was only amazingly $9.10 but if it the exchange rate goes to what it has been for many years before it would be $16.25. As has been said many times you can't just look at these things simplisticly. In a few months the person in the pub in the UK could be earning pretty much the same as the person in the pub in Australia.