Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

He is not alone, I also appreciate how good the uk is since returning. Everyone is different

Being good is a completely different discussion, this discussion is / was concerning the standard of living / comparative cost of living. There are many wonderful things about living in Britain, but standard of living isn't one if them, unless you got your feet under the table a long time ago.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being good is a completely different discussion, this discussion is / was concerning the standard of living / comparative cost of living. There are many wonderful things about living in Britain, but standard of living isn't one if them, unless you got your feet under the table a long time ago.

That's OK, we can agree to disagree.

Wide de awake at 4 am in a morn lol not good ! So I will post . Lol

why hey is the standard of living not one of them in UK . ? so what do you mean tousaint ? :)

Wide de awake at 4 am in a morn lol not good ! So I will post . Lol

why hey is the standard of living not one of them in UK . ? so what do you mean tousaint ? :)

We have a great standard of living here in the UK, so do our friends and so do millions of others. I get the feeling Toussaint isn't happy where he is and that can affect perception.

We have a great standard of living here in the UK, so do our friends and so do millions of others. I get the feeling Toussaint isn't happy where he is and that can affect perception.

I I had a great standard of living in UK too ! He might mean just weather difference ! If so I get that bit but standard of living I do not get at all lol :)

I I had a great standard of living in UK too ! He might mean just weather difference ! If so I get that bit but standard of living I do not get at all lol :)

No I don't get it, my standard of living hasn't decreased since coming back, we had a good standard of living in Australia too so it wasn't a shock to us.

No I don't get it, my standard of living hasn't decreased since coming back, we had a good standard of living in Australia too so it wasn't a shock to us.

I I had more money left over in UK lol but I am paying two rents here at the min but even so my standard hasn't changed ! I had better quality things in UK my cupboards were rammed lol not saying they not full here but not as full goodies galore in my cupboards in UK ! I shopped till I dropped in UK !

I I went out every Friday and Saturday day and night ! I got the crunchie feeling on a Friday in UK ! I was never bored rarely ! I went abroad ! I went days out just same ! I had a beautiful home well beautiful to me ! Winter months I loved Halloween bonfire Xmas new year I put parties on hired a marquee hired tables hired a heater lol hired the lighting ! Lol I applied for visas when we had three shocking summers on the trot and I was watching wanted down under with my cornflakes thinking I' want sit on that beach ! My son said apply for ya visas then so we did ! The only diff is here to me is ya guaranteed a great summer but when I think about it now ya working anyway in the heat not got time all the time for beaches ! And I got excited wen I went abroad in UK ! I haven't got it bad here by any means lol but I wouldn't say the standard was different ! :)

i catered for for my parties bought all the booze and spirits had them on optics nobody had to bring a thing just themselves lol ! January blues I got but u just go abroad ! :)

Edited by Shellybingobingo

standard of living IMO is far higher in the UK for me and plenty of others...please note I have put "IMO" which goes for you as well.

Edited by calNgary
Rude and personal

Lived in adelaide for 6 years found prices horrific. Bought 1991 mitsubishi wagon $3900! Home a year now and im drivin about in a spotless audi TT i bought for £2300. On drive.com.au same car same year $18000! We were earning 3 times what we get here and we couldnt afford to eat out. We dont drink. Houses were absolutely freezing no double glazing central heating and those bloody tin roofs! No thanks. We kept our house thankfully so we tucked up in a house we built here which even in adelaide would cost$1m at least. Hubby is a builder and was horrified at the build quality over there. I couldnt sleep for the cold and couldnt stand the noise of the blower thing on the wall! I really hope you get settled soon. Have you thought of moving to another area? I love being back. Being able to jump on a cheap flight to europe do the beach thing and come home. Financially the move to and from oz crippled us too but we are slowly recovering. We have plans to retire to spain NOT to resorts but costa de la luz. We ve been there loads and on boxing day it was 21 degrees! 2 hours and u can be home. We travelled all over oz during our 10 holidays before the move but when we lived there we werent able to go anywhere! Rent for a bungalow in a HUGE development, unfurnished was $375 a WEEK. Travel to work was horrendous taxi to bus, then 2 trains and taxi! Nooooo thanks. Luckily we got out because I think the recession is gonna hit Oz big time with the decline in demand for metal etc from china. Trust me we arrived back from oz with 2 suitcases and no money as u say ikea is gud. Also ebay i got sofa there for £125 . We furnished house between gumtree and auctions! Stay strong it will get better. Food cheap in aldi and lidl.

I remember years ago a man sayin to us on a sydney ferry....if it sounds too good to be true it probably isnt! Sooo true. Ni cant do sun anyway coz im 52 im into spray tans and botox because of my years in aussie sun!

Didnt u protect us face when in the Ozzie sun ! I wouldn't ever have Botox lol I use liz Earle or elimis morning and night keeps my skin lovely ! I don't sit in the sun for long u will find it catches you walking about I went home 6?weeks ago and my friends said I thought u lived in oz where is ta tan lol . I looked tanned to them but I look healthy I'd say not tanned lol .

I I found in the UK my skin dried out a bit . My hair did fall better in UK . My skin is now back to normal like a baby's bum ;)

my bestie in UK is 52 has great skin ! And looks 40 lol she swears by Nivea I used to use Nivea but makes my skin feel greasy so I swapped to liz Earle and I love elimis too in fact I think I prefer elimis out the two depends which one I have in what I use they took my liz Earle off me at Heathrow lol yet I went through with it in my hand luggage this end but coming back I had to bin it ! Good job I have a stash in hey !

That has to be the most inaccurate statement I have read in a long time.

Sorry but you are wrong - I worked for a company called Pilgrim Foods who was a food wholesaler and sold food to the restaurants/pubs/hospitals and schools.

The meal deals that you get in pubs are ready made, microwave meals and cost pennies to buy in bulk (Yes Pennies!!!) and they sell them for a fiver. We had a hotel called the petwood hotel in Woodhall Spa - a very expensive hotel. They were our BIGGEST customers.

The "home made" stuff you see on menu's? It's called "home made" because the company they bought it ready made from, get people to mix ingredients with their hands before adding it to the machines to be mixed - that is all!!!

Yes, you can get cheaper meals sometimes from places like whetherspoons, however it is the most vile crap you can eat!! - They advertise "chicken breast" - The meat is mechanically recovered breast. When you work at a food wholesaler, you get the ingredients and the way in wich the food was made. The chicken breast that those places buy is "mechanically recovered chicken breast" what that means is when people are cutting and preparing the chicken breast, all of the left overs that fall on the floor is then recovered by machines and formed into a breast shape.

The problem is this:

The UK often does offer cheaper meals, that is because the SHITE they put in it far suppasses the crap that goes into australian food.

The level of quality you get in Australian food is far beyond anything you get in the UK - the food is locally sourced and produced where possible. In woolworths i must see about 90% of the food labelled as "product of NSW" where as in England its all a product of Bulgaria, Spain, Holland along with all the E-Numbers and preservatives that it gets filled with.

Have a look at the lovely fresh Hovis bread and tell me how many E-Numbers it has in it at £1 a loaf - then have a look at Helga's, no one SINGLE E-Number at the equivalent of £1.75.

I choose quality over price any day......

Not the places I go do that I choose quality over price too and I had far better meals in UK than I've been served here ! For more money here ! Curry house is nice here though and the curry house what we usually use in UK is nice ! Depends where u go but for the cost of a fillet steak here I expected better ! It was crap and has been in the pubs I've been in here aswel only decent one was a restaurant in brissie ! I went a curry house in Cleveland they served me the arse end of the chicken I think it was foul ! And do u know what they do in curry houses in brissie I won't say which one of course and I won't say how I know ! The mango chutney what is left on everyone's table goes back in the tub behind the scenes ! It will go on everywhere **** like that will not just UK !

i shop in woollies and Coles all the time and for the cost of fruit and veg it's crap it is not fresh at all most days ! I also went the butchers for flame in yon that's not how u spell it I know lol but I ate it for tea that night and I had a right bad stomach next day ! And it wasn't cheap ! The fruit and veg in UK I don't care what label it's got on its always fresh as a daisy !

got back from UK paying 39p for a cucumber and 2:48 here other day bag of lettuce 5:50 84p in UK tomatoes 6:98 for the vine other day a pound in UK and fresher in UK ! Bananas taste better in UK to me lol I won't go on .

My my sons girlfriend her dad works at a chicken factory in brissie I shall ask him what happens ! I here the Chinese r good at boning lmao and I here enough about how many chickens he counts and I here enough about red hats and yellow hats to the point I'm suicidle ! But I shall ask him lol

In response to birdy990. I made a post similar to yours ages ago re "Good Indian Food" and was shouted down............. I was a pub relief manger for 15 yrs and had lots of experience re catering. Most food served in Indain restaurants is, as is also the case with much pub grub, made wholesale in industrial units, packaged, and delivered, some fresh, some frozen, to the restaurants who simply defrost and microwave. A very good friend of mine back then, actually worked in one of these units and although only a small ground floor unit 12m x 12m they turned out over 500 mains a day and upwards of a thousand each of samosas/bhajis/pakoras

Not the places I go do that I choose quality over price too and I had far better meals in UK than I've been served here ! For more money here ! Curry house is nice here though and the curry house what we usually use in UK is nice ! Depends where u go but for the cost of a fillet steak here I expected better ! It was crap and has been in the pubs I've been in here aswel only decent one was a restaurant in brissie ! I went a curry house in Cleveland they served me the arse end of the chicken I think it was foul ! And do u know what they do in curry houses in brissie I won't say which one of course and I won't say how I know ! The mango chutney what is left on everyone's table goes back in the tub behind the scenes ! It will go on everywhere **** like that will not just UK !

i shop in woollies and Coles all the time and for the cost of fruit and veg it's crap it is not fresh at all most days ! I also went the butchers for flame in yon that's not how u spell it I know lol but I ate it for tea that night and I had a right bad stomach next day ! And it wasn't cheap ! The fruit and veg in UK I don't care what label it's got on its always fresh as a daisy !

got back from UK paying 39p for a cucumber and 2:48 here other day bag of lettuce 5:50 84p in UK tomatoes 6:98 for the vine other day a pound in UK and fresher in UK ! Bananas taste better in UK to me lol I won't go on .

My my sons girlfriend her dad works at a chicken factory in brissie I shall ask him what happens ! I here the Chinese r good at boning lmao and I here enough about how many chickens he counts and I here enough about red hats and yellow hats to the point I'm suicidle ! But I shall ask him lol

You must go to low end places in Brisbane and higher end places in UK. Every visitor I have had remarks on the better food quality in Brisbane compared to my home town in UK

You must go to low end places in Brisbane and higher end places in UK. Every visitor I have had remarks on the better food quality in Brisbane compared to my home town in UK

Do u call in a pub 38/42 dollars for a steak lower end ! Here ! I go curry houses here my fav is spice ave in comparison what I've tried here he's the best one ! I also went for curry in Cleveland was dearer than spices and it was crap absorley crap and I've tried a few tried a few in Perth too and they r crap as well ! I have been restaurants in brissie they were good and still only 42 dollars for a steak ! Yet when u don't want go in the city do u think walking in a pub is good food because I don't for double the cost of UK pubs ! Depends what u have I only eat chicken or fillet here ! I don't do fish , I don't like Chinese here what I've tried , I like one fish in Aus and that's Sharkys in Mandurah ! So I can go a lovely pub in UK and at least it tastes decent for the money

Do u call in a pub 38/42 dollars for a steak lower end ! Here ! I go curry houses here my fav is spice ave in comparison what I've tried here he's the best one ! I also went for curry in Cleveland was dearer than spices and it was crap absorley crap and I've tried a few tried a few in Perth too and they r crap as well ! I have been restaurants in brissie they were good and still only 42 dollars for a steak ! Yet when u don't want go in the city do u think walking in a pub is good food because I don't for double the cost of UK pubs ! Depends what u have I only eat chicken or fillet here ! I don't do fish , I don't like Chinese here what I've tried , I like one fish in Aus and that's Sharkys in Mandurah ! So I can go a lovely pub in UK and at least it tastes decent for the money

I have to conclude you are off your rocker. Even Jamie Oliver only charges $35 for a steak in Brisbane: http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/australia/restaurants/brisbane/menu/mains#

I have to conclude you are off your rocker. Even Jamie Oliver only charges $35 for a steak in Brisbane: http://www.jamieoliver.com/italian/australia/restaurants/brisbane/menu/mains#

I I don't like Jamie Oliver neither he's over rated ! I am off my rocker lol ! I'm not joking when I go again I will take pictures of the menu ! I've been in a pub and show u between 38 and 42 I've paid ! Dollars ! And u can conclude all u like I shall reserve judgement on u my dear !