Six weeks back - my impressions (warning, whinge)

Marisawright

It's an interesting take on it really, today the UK minimum wage is equivalent to $13 but 3 years ago it was only amazingly $9.10 but if it the exchange rate goes to what it has been for many years before it would be $16.25. As has been said many times you can't just look at these things simplisticly. In a few months the person in the pub in the UK could be earning pretty much the same as the person in the pub in Australia.

Noting however that casual employees in Aust covered by the national minimum wage also get at least a 25 per cent casual loading.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it this could go backwards and forwards forever. If someone in the UK says they paid this then someone in Australia will say they paid less and they get paid 10 times what they did in England and vice versa. At the end of the day we can only comment on our own experiences but of course that doesn't mean you can just say anything and expect it to go unchallenged lol WE are finding it cheaper to live here, no one can disagree as it is what WE are finding. Our food costs are lower, eating out is lower and even running a car is lower for US.

Well as a significant proportion of people on the minimum wage in Aust are casuals I thought it was worth noting.

Absolutely which no doubt explains the disparity in eating out in the 2 countries. The UK does have a way to go to catch up but the way the exchange rate is going it won't be long lol

Sorry but you are wrong - I worked for a company called Pilgrim Foods who was a food wholesaler and sold food to the restaurants/pubs/hospitals and schools.

The meal deals that you get in pubs are ready made, microwave meals and cost pennies to buy in bulk (Yes Pennies!!!) and they sell them for a fiver. We had a hotel called the petwood hotel in Woodhall Spa - a very expensive hotel. They were our BIGGEST customers.

The "home made" stuff you see on menu's? It's called "home made" because the company they bought it ready made from, get people to mix ingredients with their hands before adding it to the machines to be mixed - that is all!!!

Yes, you can get cheaper meals sometimes from places like whetherspoons, however it is the most vile crap you can eat!! - They advertise "chicken breast" - The meat is mechanically recovered breast. When you work at a food wholesaler, you get the ingredients and the way in wich the food was made. The chicken breast that those places buy is "mechanically recovered chicken breast" what that means is when people are cutting and preparing the chicken breast, all of the left overs that fall on the floor is then recovered by machines and formed into a breast shape.

The problem is this:

The UK often does offer cheaper meals, that is because the SHITE they put in it far suppasses the crap that goes into australian food.

The level of quality you get in Australian food is far beyond anything you get in the UK - the food is locally sourced and produced where possible. In woolworths i must see about 90% of the food labelled as "product of NSW" where as in England its all a product of Bulgaria, Spain, Holland along with all the E-Numbers and preservatives that it gets filled with.

Have a look at the lovely fresh Hovis bread and tell me how many E-Numbers it has in it at £1 a loaf - then have a look at Helga's, no one SINGLE E-Number at the equivalent of £1.75.

I choose quality over price any day......

Rubbish and just not true,i have worked in these type pubs and the only things microwaved are the lasagnes, pies and curries, all chicken i chicken breast and whole half chickens cooked in the ovens or on the grill. Fish is battered at the pub and all meat is cooked fresh on grills. Australia has far more fast food outlets sellng low quality food than the uk

Edited by Perthbum

Absolutely which no doubt explains the disparity in eating out in the 2 countries. The UK does have a way to go to catch up but the way the exchange rate is going it won't be long lol

I'm not sure the exchange rate will impact very much on someone earning pounds and living in the UK unless they are saving to move to Aust.

Noting however that casual employees in Aust covered by the national minimum wage also get at least a 25 per cent casual loading.

Not all of them FF, if you sign an agreement you get nothing more, I earn $18.01 an hour if I work Boxing day or New Year's day I get $18.01, maybe a bit different over East unless

my employers are not doing the right thing !!!

Not all of them FF, if you sign an agreement you get nothing more, I earn $18.01 an hour if I work Boxing day or New Year's day I get $18.01, maybe a bit different over East unless

I was quoting the National Award. If you are covered by that and not be paid correctly under it you should contact the Fair Work Ombudsman.

Edited to add - the loading applies to all hours, not just those on public holidays.

Edited by Freckleface

I was quoting the National Award. If you are covered by that and not be paid correctly under it you should contact the Fair Work Ombudsman.

Edited to add - the loading applies to all hours, not just those on public holidays.

Thanks FF will have a good look into it !

Edited by calNgary

But who wants be served a fish what's ready jump off ya plate and staring at u not me 300 dollars for 4 people aswell each to their own but they can stick it up their kilt no thanks lol

Why did you order it Shelly if you don't like fish? Usually the menu description mentions how it's cooked or served

Rubbish and just not true,i have worked in these type pubs and the only things microwaved are the lasagnes, pies and curries, all chicken i chicken breast and whole half chickens cooked in the ovens or on the grill. Fish is battered at the pub and all meat is cooked fresh on grills. Australia has far more fast food outlets sellng low quality food than the uk

Unfortunately said fresh chicken is shipped from Thailand...

I'm not sure the exchange rate will impact very much on someone earning pounds and living in the UK unless they are saving to move to Aust.

Yeah you sort of missed the point. It was said that the minimum wage was substantially higher in Australia whereas that really comes down to the exchange rate as I explained in a previous post. The person who made the claim made a comparison, the difference goes wildly up and down dependant on the exchange rate but the actual rate of pay in each country stays relatively constant.

Exactly right and that is a bank holiday, this belief that casuals are rolling in it is a little hard to swallow. Unfortunately many employers aren't doing the right thing.

Guest The Pom Queen
Just for clarity are people saying that pubs in Australia all produce their own food fresh each day from the finest local produce ? Also that all pubs in the UK buy in cheap frozen crap made from imported produce ? It is ridiculous as I feel as though I am being called a liar because the pubs we eat in actually make their own meals. I have noticed absolutely no difference in the quality of fresh food here or Australia, the belief that fresh food in Australia is just so much better is just bizarre. I can buy a beautiful steak cooked exactly as I want it with real chips for £6. I really couldn't care if people don't believe me or want to try and twist what I am saying. For some it seems it's not enough to say I genuinely don't see any difference between fresh produce in either country, you must say it's better in Australia even if it isn't the case.

Ok then name some of these pubs.

In regards to Aus pubs I'm not comparing them I was just stating something that I'm qualified to say. I know my son has worked in a few kitchens in Cairns who state things are homemade and again they aren't.

In regards to Aus pubs I'm not comparing them I was just stating something that I'm qualified to say. I know my son has worked in a few kitchens in Cairns who state things are homemade and again they aren't.

That's easy, the New Inn and the Coach and Horses in Shrewsbury, The White Hart in Ironbridge, The Swan also in Ironbridge.

Guest The Pom Queen

It is still frozen.

We actually got pulled by trading standards for selling scampi and chips in a basket as the scampi was reconstituted. They use to come in undercover and choose a meal and check it was advertised correctly, the number of people who got fined for the scampi and also saying things were homemade was rife back then. The UK is more on the ball with misrepresentation than Australia.

It is no different UK or Aus, some pubs/ restaurants have frozen, reheated or imported meals and some make on site home made meals using fresh food .I am sure most towns in either country have both, which you go to is your choice.

Cal x

Exactly, 100% correct.

But you said £6 and its £17 + for steak http://www.odleyinns.co.uk/coach-horses/menu/

actually im glad you posted that as I use to think the UK was so much cheaper to eat out and it's not anymore.

I have been trying to remember the name of the pub, it is the Full Pitcher down in Ledbury. Well worth a visit if you ever find yourself in that lovely part of the country. £6 for a lovely steak.

Guest The Pom Queen
Just for clarity are people saying that pubs in Australia all produce their own food fresh each day from the finest local produce ? Also that all pubs in the UK buy in cheap frozen crap made from imported produce ? It is ridiculous as I feel as though I am being called a liar because the pubs we eat in actually make their own meals. I have noticed absolutely no difference in the quality of fresh food here or Australia, the belief that fresh food in Australia is just so much better is just bizarre. I can buy a beautiful steak cooked exactly as I want it with real chips for £6. I really couldn't care if people don't believe me or want to try and twist what I am saying. For some it seems it's not enough to say I genuinely don't see any difference between fresh produce in either country, you must say it's better in Australia even if it isn't the case.

That's easy, the New Inn and the Coach and Horses in Shrewsbury, The White Hart in Ironbridge, The Swan also in Ironbridge.

But you said £6 and its £17 + for steak http://www.odleyinns.co.uk/coach-horses/menu/

actually im glad you posted that as I use to think the UK was so much cheaper to eat out and it's not anymore.

Strange as that's what it seemed like to me