Better life for children???

dangiles

In my humble opinion,having happily lived in both places.

For young children ,Australia is hard to beat.....but my youngest is now 15,living here in the u.k and has a great life.....its full on .....shes got a dance competition at the albert hall in London on Saturday,then its off to Devon on holiday ,with us and her best mate on Sunday .....she as happy as Larry,and a real character.

I certainly wouldn't move her now....she has her mates...the gym ....dance ...travel ...and of course bloody shopping .....we don't have much sun or the beach ....but Solihull has everything else

The eldest is Aussie by birth,and recently received a video of oz from family ...the beach, the houses etc ....her response .." Is that it "......so it looks like the u.k for us...the good and the bad.....like sitting on the m5 for 2 hours yesterday on the way to Cardiff.....cardiff is a nice city though.....worth the wait....a lot of money spent

Australia struggles with the 15+ - especially now house prices ensure both partners have to work full time. I'm about to see what UK has to offer for 15+ - so far so good.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Australia struggles with the 15+ - especially now house prices ensure both partners have to work full time. I'm about to see what UK has to offer for 15+ - so far so good.

In what way does Australia struggle with 15+? My eldest came out at 15 and her sister 3 years later at 16 they have not gone back but stayed, and have said they have no intention of going back. Possibly depends on the 15 year old and whereabouts in Australia/UK?

Could say the same for those moving back :wink:

To some extent, but those moving back have far more experience of the UK than most migrants coming to Oz, and often have an existing support network too. However I agree it is important to take into account the rose-coloured glasses which everyone gets when they leave their home country: I've heard so many people say they get back to the UK, only to remember why they left. So I would worry about someone heading back after a very long absence unless they've examined their motives very thoroughly.

My main worry being here in the u.k,was how are my girls going to afford a property.....but it appears this is now an issue in oz

When I lived there in the 90s ,very young couples,could put in a big 5 years and pay their mortgage off...is this still the case ?

In what way does Australia struggle with 15+? My eldest came out at 15 and her sister 3 years later at 16 they have not gone back but stayed, and have said they have no intention of going back. Possibly depends on the 15 year old and whereabouts in Australia/UK?

Absolutely, In relation to your immediate surroundings in the u.k.....if I fell on real hard times and had to move into inner city brum....i would leave...no question

I had twelve mostly great years living back in the UK, plus frequent very enjoyable holidays before that, and even after my parents died, I continued to live there happily, but going back now, with no family and no close friends after seven plus years, I don't know?

Mum and Dad used to meet me at Heathrow, and even after they could no longer drive up to meet me, I knew they would be there in the house. If my tenants decided to move out, I think I might go back and have a look at the house. It's not that I could not re-adjust to life there, just that there is no advantage for me to do it.

My main worry being here in the u.k,was how are my girls going to afford a property.....but it appears this is now an issue in oz

When I lived there in the 90s ,very young couples,could put in a big 5 years and pay their mortgage off...is this still the case ?

The Sydney Morning Herald was gloating about the huge rise in property prices in Sydney, albeit it with worries about when it will end. I don't know what the answer is if you can't afford to buy a place? Just accept you will rent, as people in some other countries do? Put your name down for public housing (and hope the government will embark on a huge public housing construction project?) Invest in the stock market, instead of a house?

Having said all that, when I was paying my flat off 25 years ago, I would hardly have said that the interest rate - 18 per cent, I think, was easier to bear than someone paying off a mortgage at today's prices and on today's salaries at today's interest rates?

Three out of the four of my children went to live in the UK for a while ( separately)- and they all returned. They all loved it there but all felt there were a number of things they didn't like and , for them, Australia was better. All of them found it very easy to get work over there but found that the wages were terrible. They loved the pubs and the shops which are better there ( no one could deny that!). I won't go into the negatives because I don't think I need to- if you are emigrating you would probably be aware of them anyway!

I live half way between Perth and Bunbury - about 20km south of Mandurah. Even here, you are looking at over half a million for a house. Take in an average income is about $60k and it means a mortgage repayment that even on current low interest rates is out of reach. Factor in interest rate rises in the future and it is a hopeless cause for most

Three out of the four of my children went to live in the UK for a while ( separately)- and they all returned. They all loved it there but all felt there were a number of things they didn't like and , for them, Australia was better. All of them found it very easy to get work over there but found that the wages were terrible. They loved the pubs and the shops which are better there ( no one could deny that!). I won't go into the negatives because I don't think I need to- if you are emigrating you would probably be aware of them anyway!

Horses for courses - I brought my son out for a years working holiday visa. Got him a great job paying very good money - near $100k for a week on week off and nice environment. He was offered sponsorship. He turned it down and couldnt wait to leave. I would struggle to get him back for even a holiday. Hated Oz

I live half way between Perth and Bunbury - about 20km south of Mandurah. Even here, you are looking at over half a million for a house. Take in an average income is about $60k and it means a mortgage repayment that even on current low interest rates is out of reach. Factor in interest rate rises in the future and it is a hopeless cause for most

As you know there are plenty of places between Secret Harbour and Dawesville where you can buy a property for $400,000 and you can build for $350,000!

do'er uppers in Mandurah for a whole lot less!

Most people need two incomes anyway. They certainly do in the UK. A very nondescript house round here will set you back £350,000. Our 3 bed pebble dash semi has just sold for £423k which is well over $800,000. Really hard to start out but then you can pick up cheap flats (some above shops) for under £200,000. Gets you started but not great for families.

As you know there are plenty of places between Secret Harbour and Dawesville where you can buy a property for $400,000 and you can build for $350,000!

do'er uppers in Mandurah for a whole lot less!

I have just had a look. Acording to realestate.com, there are 20 out of 633 houses for sale under $400k.

I know what the market is like after spending the last 2 years looking. I also know what build costs are like haven just built. We bought the cheapest block of land that has come on the market in our suburb in the 7 years of living there - a sad case of a investor going bust. We managed to get an excellent deal on the build - First customers of Home Group WA, so a heavy discount to get the brand established. Total cost - without things like partition walls / fencing between neighbours was over $500k for house and land. The only upgrades we added were to the front door handle, a conduit under the drive and the normal electrical that every one has to do

But you have water views , you pay for them! I'd love to have them. Yours was not bog standard you said you made loads of alterations. Have I got that wrong? You said you paid extra for lots of things,. Yours is definately not a bog standard build for the area of Mandurah no way!

Agreed. Most people need a dual income to service a mortgage, when rent equals or is more expensive than mortgage I don't know how people can say a mortgage is out of reach? We service a mortgage on my part time husbands full time pay? Not particularly high earners either

I've been here 10 years and the doom-mongers have been saying that the entire time I have been here!!!

And imagine how much worse off you would have been if you had held off buying for the past 10 years on the strength of that :wink:

There may well be an adjustment at some time. All commodities can go down in value as well as up but who can predict it accurately?

Probably right. I think the 15+ can get lost in suburbia. Too young to own a car and get into town. But it does depend on the child and where you live.

Archived