Why move from the UK

paul1977

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to look back and think 'aw well i tried' rather than 'umm wonder what may have happened'. We migrated on a whim, fancied a change, wanted a more chilled out lifestyle, sick to death of sitting in traffic jams every day going to work, drizzly gray weather especially (for some reason) on weekends and holidays,lol , we just wanted something different, and we havent looked back yet.

It is darn hard work this first year or two and some things do take quite a bit of adapting too but we have no regrets, we managed to find, less working hours, more sunshine and less crime on the doorstep ,so if you check and pick your areas carefully ,you should be able to as well.

Lots of luck with your move and keep us updated

Cal x

Thanks, I will do

As much as you don't want to read about the bad or maybe more suitable "unsuccessful" experiences, it's important these threads are about show us that the worst can happen.

For my self tho, I'm not going in entirely blind. All though I was there on 2 year WHV I settled in a few places for fair amount of time. Made some great Ozzy mates and experienced a small amount of life in the suburbs(Brisbane) with them.

We are going out to try it for between 2 to 4 years. If, at the end of this period, we are all really are very sure we love it, we might then stay longer - but current plan is for 2 or 4 years.

When we arrive we will be a family of 5. Two professional parents (44 YO graphic designer, and a 40 YO Community Nurse manager), 3 kids, aged 12, 9 and (nearly) 6 upon arrival and our 4 YO old dog.

The reasons:

• 1 - We were already looking at moving in the UK, as I already commute quite a bit for work - so an amount of uprooting was probably going to happen anyway (kids moving schools, new area)
  • 2 - We like Australia. I have been 4 times and did work experience there when I retrained. My wife and I also did a 3 month backpacking trip around the millennium. We always talked about "in Australia we did x,y and z"...
  • 3 - We have lived in the same town all our lives (I am now 43) - and have never lived in a city, and wanted to try it.
  • 4 - We generally prefer summer in the UK, are generally happiest outdoors, doing stuff. We hoped to do more of this, and less being indoors throughout the year.
  • 5 - We were keen on this for a few years, and as my wife got towards the end of her 30s, the opportunity to get points for a PR visa would lessen considerably, so this is why it's going to be in 2015. It had to be!
  • 6 - We wanted a big 'family adventure' with our 3 kids, while they all still lived at home. Something we all did together that they could look back on.
  • 7 - To open our minds to more possibilities.
  • 8 - If we are honest, also to be nearer to the the beach! Where we are now it's a good hour to the nearest beaches (unclean) and 2 hours to the nearest nice ones. The water is always cold here in Wales.
  • 9 - Because you only live once. When our old dog died, I felt this with full force and emotion. Get living... This is not a rehearsal (insert cliches here...)
  • 10 Because a city like City like Sydney has a lot more potential for my career/work opportunities than where we live here in the UK. In the UK only London has greater possibilities, and we didn't want to go there... it's even more expensive than Sydney, but the work/life balance is entirely skewed towards work, and it isn't good for kids to live in (unless you have lots of spare cash...) - long commutes. Tube hell. London tubes are hellish, I have done this and it's not good.

There are more reasons, but it would be too boring to list them.

Since joining PIO I have read many of the posts, both positive and negative, so I feel like I have some awareness os the potential risks, pros and cons of migrating. I honestly expect things to be pretty tough going for at least 6 months. So many of these 'it all went wrong' stories have given me the wobbles, I have put it in context and we are off anyway. There are a million variables and everyone is different with their own particular set of circumstances.

Hopefully it will be great. It makes sense to practice optimism!

But if it isn't, we aren't selling up here, and we plan to save up for a kitty-fund for return flights as soon as we get there. If it goes pear-shaped, we can leave. We also don't think UK is bad. We love it. It's home, and it's where all our family and most of our friends are. Deciding to do this wasn't and isn't an easy decision for us. My wife and kids are especially close to her parents. So, it's a hard choice, and the cause of some anxiety.

In the end we just decided 'Screw it, let's do it'. If it all goes wrong we have have spent a chunk of money, and had this experience.

Edited by Captain Roberto
typos

Also remembered an extra reason.

We stayed here in the town we were born in. Over the years loads of our good friends moved away and a lot of my family. These are spread around the UK, but some overseas. We see them occasionally, but it's not like it was 'in the old days'.

We came to realise you can stay in the same place, but the goal posts move around you. Change happens. Change is inevitable.

In this case, we are being proactive in a big change. It's our time!

Edited by Captain Roberto

More like 6 months in the outback, we only have two seasons, summer and winter. In between are transition periods lasting no more than a month. I get bored of opening my curtains to scorching sun every day (in fact most days they stay shut to keep the house cooler). Makes being a stay at home mum pretty boring!

It always felt like it was about 9 months long in Queensland. We had a three month window between May and August when the weather was pleasantly warm, but for the rest of the year it was hellishly hot!

For us , we wanted a fresh new challenge. We both had good jobs but the thought of years and years of the same old was oppressive. The knowledge that my OH's skill was on the critical skills list in a country such as Australia was the main draw. We thought we give it a bloomin good try. It turned out for us to be the best thing we ever did. OH currently earns 5 times his previous salary. I ,all but retired at 43 something I could have only dreamed of in the UK. Paying off our mortgage in the next few years is a real probability and a very early retirement for the OH is on the cards. Added to that a climate with pretty much all year round sunshine and a welcoming population, a house 3 times the size of our UK home with a pool and a walk from the beach. It is achievable but do your homework, so many seem to get caught out. Make sure your occupation is genuinely in demand and that your skills are transferable once here. Be prepared to work at it and acknowledge you will have to go months if not years before you see your nearest and dearest, so if you are close to your family and friends a move here may not be wise. If olde worlde pubs are your bag then again don't come here. If after you've done your research you decide to still come then come with a "give it a fair go" attitude because negativity breeds contempt. Different can be good.

If he had a "good" job in the Uk when you left then he would have been earning about 35,000 pounds pa, so now he's on 5 x that makes him earning $350,000 pa Thats awesome and no wonder you stayed !

If he had a "good" job in the Uk when you left then he would have been earning about 35,000 pounds pa, so now he's on 5 x that makes him earning $350,000 pa Thats awesome and no wonder you stayed !

I said a good job not well paid. Hes a skilled worker who's a time served apprentice but in England that doesn't always equate to good money for a blue collar worker. I was a civil servant and my wages were rubbish. I get more per hour here walking dogs than I did as an Employment Law Adviser.

The flight thing is a real consideration because Australians are forced to pay much more for flights than anyone else. A family of five, for example, could easily be looking at $10,000 - $12,000 before touching down at Heathrow. We came as a couple and started our family here, and to be honest while I could stand going back and would like the family to be together, I'm not sure I like the look of UK schools and what I hear about GPs and waiting times concerns me a bit.

The free public schooling is far superior in the UK, all the statistics show this. If you pay private I think they are better to be fair but we couldnt afford to pay for 3 kids but my 'average' kids were top of class ! And the old chestnut about GP waiting times. If you have an urgent concern you can see a doctor with 48 hours in the UK (or go to A & E - just for the record I waited 4 hours to be seen in Oz last month so no better which surprised me)

I said a good job not well paid. Hes a skilled worker who's a time served apprentice but in England that doesn't always equate to good money for a blue collar worker. I was a civil servant and my wages were rubbish. I get more per hour here walking dogs than I did as an Employment Law Adviser.

So a tradesman ? for sure much, much better pay here. You would have got a good secure pension with the civil service but again the government jobs pay much more here you just cant get them. Not even he Ozzies at the moment from what ive heard :(

Be interested to hear from people who are about to leave the UK

what are your reasons for leaving...? How do you think Australia will solve/improve things and why couldn't you do these changes back in the UK..?

Historical in my case, as we've been here over 6 years. Australian missus who was unhappy and homesick in the UK and who basically gave me an ultimatum that we were moving to Australia as she was tired of asking me nicely! Seeing as I love her and our daughter, I wasn't really in a position to say 'no!'

That said, I can see why a lot of people come here. Most Brits seem to stay, and I don't think that I've ever met one who professed to not liking the place - apart from me obviously!. It obviously works out very well for many people, particularly if they enjoy an outdoors lifestyle, are seeking an adventure, or just a fresh start. If around 25% return to the UK, then the odds on it working out well are still very much in favour of it being a successful move. :smile:

what are your reasons for leaving...? How do you think Australia will solve/improve things and why couldn't you do these changes back in the UK..?

Definitely the climate in Brisbane compared with the UK is no 1 reason. Have always dreamed of living in a hot country and fortune has afforded me this opportunity. Keen to escape the London rat race and live a slower pace of life. I will be 55 on arrival so am viewing it as an early retirement if I don't actually find work (but not even going to try looking for at least 6 months and even then only informally rather than applying).

House prices in Brisbane compare favourably with Surrey which helps a lot too and our mortgage is paid off so we should bank a surplus and have a nicer house near the coast with any luck.

For me,i was never moving because i thought it would "improve" or "solve" things,nor was it really the weather,i was going to SA or Tas,so wasn't moving for sun,i don't like working in it for one(and i know SA has hot summers btw)

I was just going for a last adventure/experience kinda thing,and because i could basically

My first choice was always Canada tbh,B.C,but i was half way through the Aus visa process before i realised Canada wanted bricklayers,this was years back now btw(lazy research and too much assuming on my part!)

Having visited Aus for the small matter of three weeks to validate visa,i liked it a lot,liked the people too

I'll never know if i would have settled/stayed there now,as i wont be going,PR ran out,so did one yr RRV

I "think" i would have settled there though,but all hypothetical now,will move my focus onto Europe for that last adventure maybe?

I never once allowed myself to think moving to Aus would be "living the dream" tho btw,set the bar too high, and little annoyances become that bit bigger, in my eyes anyway.

Im a product of my city,and i think most of us from here are a little bit cynical,or cautious about expecting too much,i/we,tend to believe it when we see it,i guess its a kind of self protection blanket,don't expect too much and you wont be disappointed?

So just saying really,that not "everyone" expects utopia,some just expect different,a new life experience,and the "hope" that life in general might be a bit better in some ways,but not "all", IE i "know" i wouldn't get the same buzz on a day out in Adelaide pubs as i would on a Saturday afternoon in town,but then i wouldn't have the fantastic skies or coast road here that there is in S.A?

So like i say,swings and roundabouts,but mainly for the experience

Edited by pablo

We hadn't yearned, nor planned to leave Scotland. My oh simply came home one day in 2001 and said that his company wanted to transfer him to Houston, 4 weeks later we were all on our way to Texas! 10 years after that move, and after living in another 2 countries we ended up here in Australia! Will it be forever? Who knows...

Edited by ScotsQuine

For me,i was never moving because i thought it would "improve" or "solve" things,nor was it really the weather,i was going to SA or Tas,so wasn't moving for sun,i don't like working in it for one(and i know SA has hot summers btw)

I was just going for a last adventure/experience kinda thing,and because i could basically

My first choice was always Canada tbh,B.C,but i was half way through the Aus visa process before i realised Canada wanted bricklayers,this was years back now btw(lazy research and too much assuming on my part!)

Having visited Aus for the small matter of three weeks to validate visa,i liked it a lot,liked the people too

I'll never know if i would have settled/stayed there now,as i wont be going,PR ran out,so did one yr RRV

I "think" i would have settled there though,but all hypothetical now,will move my focus onto Europe for that last adventure maybe?

I never once allowed myself to think moving to Aus would be "living the dream" tho btw,set the bar too high, and little annoyances become that bit bigger, in my eyes anyway.

Im a product of my city,and i think most of us from here are a little bit cynical,or cautious about expecting too much,i/we,tend to believe it when we see it,i guess its a kind of self protection blanket,don't expect too much and you wont be disappointed?

So just saying really,that not "everyone" expects utopia,some just expect different,a new life experience,and the "hope" that life in general might be a bit better in some ways,but not "all", IE i "know" i wouldn't get the same buzz on a day out in Adelaide pubs as i would on a Saturday afternoon in town,but then i wouldn't have the fantastic skies or coast road here that there is in S.A?

So like i say,swings and roundabouts,but mainly for the experience

Sorry to hear that mate. For what it's worth, I think you'd have enjoyed your time here. I think the general Scouse mentality of not expecting too much and being prepared to muck in and have a laugh can be a massive advantage when approaching moving to Aus.

I would balance that by saying that in my case, my refusal to be impressed with stuff just because I was told to be, proved to be a bit of a handicap, and has caused aggro for me with the missus, her family and friends over the years. I've always held the view that I'll let you know when I'm impressed with something, but don't expect it from me. I tried to explain it to my OH by saying that LFC fans used to go to Wembley and sing "sh*tty ground" as a way of winding up the Londoners, of puncturing their conceit that it was the only place that mattered! I don't know if she's ever really understood that, but I employed the same rational towards Australia!

Overall, I think it's fine. There's lovely parts, there's grubby parts, and there's bland, boring parts, just like any country really.

Sorry to hear that mate. For what it's worth, I think you'd have enjoyed your time here. I think the general Scouse mentality of not expecting too much and being prepared to muck in and have a laugh can be a massive advantage when approaching moving to Aus.

I would balance that by saying that in my case, my refusal to be impressed with stuff just because I was told to be, proved to be a bit of a handicap, and has caused aggro for me with the missus, her family and friends over the years. I've always held the view that I'll let you know when I'm impressed with something, but don't expect it from me. I tried to explain it to my OH by saying that LFC fans used to go to Wembley and sing "sh*tty ground" as a way of winding up the Londoners, of puncturing their conceit that it was the only place that mattered! I don't know if she's ever really understood that, but I employed the same rational towards Australia!

Overall, I think it's fine. There's lovely parts, there's grubby parts, and there's bland, boring parts, just like any country really.

Ahhhh no worries mate,no one's died,bit of a pain in the arse tbh,probs spent about £15 k on the whole thing,inc validation,and it caused a lot of stress between me and her as the clock ticked down,since split up tbh,still tried up to Aug 12th last yr(RRV)but actions my ex took made it really difficult to sell up the hse and get the £ needed to go.

As i say mate,only spent 3 weeks there,so no expert lol,but every time we went out over there we were invited back to stay behinds,house parties and the like,and that WAS every time,went out twice on my own,invited back to houses then too.

We're both outgoing types,gab to anyone kinda thing,and we always ended up with groups of aussies having a beer,and asking what part of Ireland/Scotland we were from,and although i say we're outgoing,we aren't the type to geg in on people,no,they just ended up sitting with us,i got on good with them tbh.

Was funny in the Oaks Plaza pier in Glenelg one night,i had a thing going with the barman,he was filling litre bottles for me with fancy cocktails,which i took up to the room,dropped him $10 a go.

I was sitting with a load of lads and their wives from Broken Hill,down for the AFL i think.

One of them asked about the cocktail bottle i was getting,so i explained,thought they'd realise it was a bit of a fiddle(well,the bar prices were silly!)

Next thing,the lot of them stood up and marched to the bar,asking for bottles of $10 cocktails!!:twitcy:

The manager was looking at them like :huh: wtf! had to go up meself and say to them "no no,ffs its not an offer,just me and the barman!":laugh:,my fault for being naughty i guess!:wubclub:

I get what you mean 100% EW,i understand others outside of here wont tho,viva republic comrade:wink:

I am heading to Sydney for the reasons below. My partner is Australian, so the defacto visa gives me an opportunity that I wouldn't have otherwise had.

1) I've always lived in the UK so would like to experience life in another country. I'm not a big fan of super hot weather, but am happy to give it a go (as I currently sit with two pairs of socks on!).

2) It will give my partner the chance of reconnect with his family (mum, dad, four siblings, nieces, nephews) after 12+ years away. I'd also like the chance to be part of a large family and to support him with the decision to return.

3) Life/time is ticking on and I'd like to experience something different and see what new opportunities may present themselves. I've visited Australia twice (Melbourne, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane, Tasmania) and am looking forward to seeing these places again, and exploring new areas as well.

I am certainly not thinking that Australia will solve any existing problems, and it may well add some new ones! But life is a gift and I'm guilty of not having made the most of chances I've had, so let's suck it and see!

Edited by vickyplum

The flight thing is a real consideration because Australians are forced to pay much more for flights than anyone else. A family of five, for example, could easily be looking at $10,000 - $12,000 before touching down at Heathrow. We came as a couple and started our family here, and to be honest while I could stand going back and would like the family to be together, I'm not sure I like the look of UK schools and what I hear about GPs and waiting times concerns me a bit.

Just to repeat a post above, I'm not sure where all this about GP's seems to come from. I went to see my GP last week, called at 8.30, appointment for 10.50. I don't think that two hours is bad, especially when it's completely free. It's important to remember that last bit, any observations about australian healthcare should only be compared to a UK private hospital in order to be fair.

Just to repeat a post above, I'm not sure where all this about GP's seems to come from. I went to see my GP last week, called at 8.30, appointment for 10.50. I don't think that two hours is bad, especially when it's completely free. It's important to remember that last bit, any observations about australian healthcare should only be compared to a UK private hospital in order to be fair.

The "postcode lottery" element to the UK healthcare system is half the problem, of course. My parents live in a very rural part of the country and have no problems seeing the doctor, but my wife's parents live in a large, busy town, and no longer get to see the doctor. The procedure is to telephone the surgery, whereupon you describe the symptoms to a receptionist, and that person then passes your case to the doctor who calls you back after assessing the seriousness of it. In one case they phone about a 90 year-old relative who had had a fall and cut himself and no one phoned them back - they had forgotten.

I'm not sure what makes you say we may only compare private hospitals in the UK to public hospitals in Australia if we are trying to be fair. I am comparing public hospitals with public hospitals, the only difference being the way the system is funded and managed - perhaps I have misunderstood you though?

I'm not an expert on the australian system, but from my own experience...dental check up $189, told I needed a couple of fillings replaced didn't bother asking how much it would cost as I was going back to UK in a few months so knew could wait and get both done for £100, grateful I never needed an ambulance as I didn't have insurance for that, all the stuff with some surgeries bulk billing and some not confused the hell out of me. When I went to the doctors last week I appreciated that the problem hadn't come up whilst in Oz otherwise I'd be just as worried about how much it was going to cost, whether it was going to cost at all, how to go about getting a rebate etc as I was about my health. I can't imagine it's fun for elderly or any vunrable person trying to comprehend all that.

I'm not an expert on the australian system, but from my own experience...dental check up $189, told I needed a couple of fillings replaced didn't bother asking how much it would cost as I was going back to UK in a few months so knew could wait and get both done for £100, grateful I never needed an ambulance as I didn't have insurance for that, all the stuff with some surgeries bulk billing and some not confused the hell out of me. When I went to the doctors last week I appreciated that the problem hadn't come up whilst in Oz otherwise I'd be just as worried about how much it was going to cost, whether it was going to cost at all, how to go about getting a rebate etc as I was about my health. I can't imagine it's fun for elderly or any vunrable person trying to comprehend all that.

When you've been in Australia a while you get used to the system

My local Dr bulk bills most things for us (He's from the UK)

I'm having several injections into my neck done via guided CT scans and I'll be out of pocket by about $200 for each of those

Dentists well don't get me started on the costs

We have extra's cover so all checkups, cleans and xrays are included

Ambulance cover is included here in QLD (I think its in the electric) but I would have it in the extra's anyways