Winter in Australia

Guest The Pom Queen

Here in Sydney it has been very mild this year, I remember feeling the cold a lot more the past couple of winters. The flying foxes in the gum tree across the road usually hibernate around now, but they are still active because there is still blossom to feed on. :animal-bat: noisy bleeders though...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was there 2 months ago and didn't want to leave. Now I'm back in Melbourne and at night it is freezing - been using the electric blanket and it's not even winter yet.

I can't believe the sudden shift to winter in Melbourne. Its been like nearly freezing in the mornings, can't remember it being this cold for quite a few years.

Brisbane in winter is basically a UK heatwave :wink:

Well it may be gorgeous but enough is enough. I have bought some new boots and v little chance to wear them! Still, off to Melbourne for my hols soon. I still find it odd that 25 degrees in UK and we're all stripping off & jumping in unheated pools to cool down whereas here it's beanie and warm fire time. It's like people in Brissie are determined to have a winter irrespective of the temperature

I'm currently feeling badly done to as winter has well and truly arrived. Last week was freezing it was 28 degrees (82F) during the day and 16 degrees (60f) at night. Look how cold everyone was around the lagoon

yry6usem.jpg

Please share your "Winter in Australia" photos

Wherabouts is this?

Cheers

Saw a few Australian winter climates last week. Flew to Townsville from Perth last Tuesday. 28 degrees in the day and about 17 at night in Townsville, perfect. Flew back via Sydney Friday, cold and raining. Got back to Perth and it had been in the low 20's all week. Landed in the evening and it was still 17 degrees.

Cooler weekend and a bit cloudy but went for a brilliant mountain bike ride in just about perfect weather for that. About 20 degrees, overcast but no rain. First time I've been on the mountain bike tracks up in the Perth hills and they are brilliant. Lots of serious mountain bikers up there, challenging tracks. Definitely be going again.

• 4 weeks later...
Saw a few Australian winter climates last week. Flew to Townsville from Perth last Tuesday. 28 degrees in the day and about 17 at night in Townsville, perfect. Flew back via Sydney Friday, cold and raining. Got back to Perth and it had been in the low 20's all week. Landed in the evening and it was still 17 degrees.

Cooler weekend and a bit cloudy but went for a brilliant mountain bike ride in just about perfect weather for that. About 20 degrees, overcast but no rain. First time I've been on the mountain bike tracks up in the Perth hills and they are brilliant. Lots of serious mountain bikers up there, challenging tracks. Definitely be going again.

Hi Paul,

How much is a mountain bike at the lower end of the pricing scale in Perth. At moment in uk I have a Giant Rock which is about 7 year old but won't be bringing with me as won't be worth the AQIS hassle. Do you get many decent 2nd hand ones for sale.

Cheers

11 C 2 nights ago, 14 C right now. Hate winters...

But the fishing is good in winter...but only for mackerel and bream...Barra in summer...Bugga of a life some of us have to put up with, innit?:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

I'm currently feeling badly done to as winter has well and truly arrived. Last week was freezing it was 28 degrees (82F) during the day and 16 degrees (60f) at night. Look how cold everyone was around the lagoon

yry6usem.jpg

Please share your "Winter in Australia" photos

I wonder what that fellow 2nd from right has been looking at?

Archived