anyone else in Oz missing the NHS?

audre

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of doctors appointments.. So are you calling me a liar when I say I have to wait 2 or 3 weeks?

I think loads of people would agree with you Stacey, Bunbury had obviously been exceedingly fortunate. I am convinced that the majority of NHS doctor receptionists believe it is their duty to stop as many people getting to the doctor as they possibly can. Trying to get a doctor appointment has always been very, very stressful and difficult ever since I moved down south in 1995.

I think loads of people would agree with you Stacey, Bunbury had obviously been exceedingly fortunate. I am convinced that the majority of NHS doctor receptionists believe it is their duty to stop as many people getting to the doctor as they possibly can. Trying to get a doctor appointment has always been very, very stressful and difficult ever since I moved down south in 1995.

Yep I think that about the receptionists too. Like I said last time - obviously depends on the area. Some people up north have no problem, some down South have some problems. It just really annoyed me being told that I was talking crap just because I posted my experience

Well had my last chemo session yesterday 28 weeks done and dusted, my oncologist has booked me in for a load of tests,, ct scans, bone scans, bloods, heart scans, mammogram, to check How the chemo has affected my body before I go for my op at end of May. I cannot praise the staff at Royal Perth enough they have been fantastic. I never had any bad experiences witH the NHS either, but then again never had any major problems. My hubby's uncle lives I. Perth and has private healthcare, he was diagnosed with bowel cancer and although he's happy with his treatment he's had about $16000 to pay for stuff that wasn't covered. I do wonder if private healthcare is worth it unless it's for the extras like dental etc.

Yep I think that about the receptionists too. Like I said last time - obviously depends on the area. Some people up north have no problem, some down South have some problems. It just really annoyed me being told that I was talking crap just because I posted my experience

You're definately not talking crap stacey, it has become an absolute nightmare trying to get an appointment in most surgeries where I live. My doctors is 6 miles from where I live, right across the other side of town, which is a nightmare, all the closer surgeries are full and not taking anymore patients. I just don't bother. I must visit the doctors once a year if that, for me and the kids, it is just not worth the stress. However I have become a bit of a doctor myself now!!! I'm amazed how much I have learnt and diagnose and treat most minor ailments myself!! I will do whatever it takes to stay away from the docs. Theres a big push on trying to get people to see their local pharmacist, but even that I have found to be a waste of time, as whatever I have gone to the pharmacist for they always turn round and say "I think you need to see the doctor!"

Frustration and stress, for heaven sake, don't ever try and get to the doctors for stress as it'll just about finish you off!!

Cant agree more, retired, our pension frozen in uk, no more rises. We have to wait 10 years before we can apply to make up pension with oz pensions. Cataract??????? LOL!!!! Doctor quote" ÿou can go on list at hospital, but you will never get it done"" Paid private now for both eyes. Prescriptions, well, you cant get half of what you had in uk as "not on list". Advice, get private health cover if you can ASAP as it will get worse. Our 53 year old son, now oz citizen said last night, him & his wife will not get pension because of saved assets, he said, not worth saving ENJOY YOURSELF!!! Zena Ex UK 2011

I'm on WHV but understand I have full medicare. Paying $50 to see the doctor to have my blood pressure taken and $70 for 3 months of the pill I find very steep! Reciprocal isn't quite that!

I understand there are other contraceptive options but I can't imagine a family with daughters find it easy - or maybe I'm just not used to it. Interesting though that the same brand can be purchased in Asia over the counter for $8 a pack, and it certainly doesn't cost the NHS $70. The pharmacy or manufacturer is making a bomb somewhere along the line. I wonder if the tax from these companies goes back into healthcare? If it does then I guess it's a pretty efficient system?

I have used medicare without insurance for my family ( we only have extras, ambulance costs no insurance needed in qld)

I have been diagnosed with a super rare auto immune disease and see a heamatologist/oncologist every 3 mths, was mthly, been through operations, scans, blood tests, checks etc.. never paid anything and see promptly, infact seen faster than my mum, having more urgent surgery in the UK.

From my experience, it has been every bit as good as the NHS, infact more so and less waiting.

I think either system has its pros and cons.

I couldnt get a NHS dentist in the UK when it ll changed, so similar to here anyway and we go to bulk billing doctors, there are HEAPS where we live, so also no cost (for now)

I'm on WHV but understand I have full medicare. Paying $50 to see the doctor to have my blood pressure taken and $70 for 3 months of the pill I find very steep! Reciprocal isn't quite that!

I understand there are other contraceptive options but I can't imagine a family with daughters find it easy - or maybe I'm just not used to it. Interesting though that the same brand can be purchased in Asia over the counter for $8 a pack, and it certainly doesn't cost the NHS $70. The pharmacy or manufacturer is making a bomb somewhere along the line. I wonder if the tax from these companies goes back into healthcare? If it does then I guess it's a pretty efficient system?

Those prices don't seem right if you have full Medicare. Do you have a card? Have you been to a Medicare office to claim back part of the doctor's fee? I don't think any GPs are charging $50 over the standard fee, but I'm happy to be told otherwise.

I think it depends on the brand. Mine were only $30 for a 6 month supply. I've only ever had to pay $30 over and above the medicare rebate.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think its anywhere near as well organised as our system in the UK. If you are able to find a good bulk billing clinic your fine but that you see is the problem.

Ok so picture this I has an allergic reaction to some hair dye and I felt like my head was on fire. Now I don't agree with paying for the doc, its just wrong, couldn't afford it anyway. And I could not for the life of me find a bulk billed clinic around my area. Problem is Google doesn't tell you which clincs are and which aren't. I did in the end-find one but it was miles away. The doctor was great but it wasn't an easy experience. I also was ill in Melbourne once and saw this one doctor, couldn't understand a word she was saying her english was so poor. And as I was bulk billed and this clinic wasn't 100% bulk billing she just hurried me out and was very unhelpful. I did however see one really good doctor who helped me greatly, i am not signed up to that surgurey so will return there If I get ill again. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

How much would each doctor appointment be in oz for example in the last fortnight we've had our 8 month old daughter at the doctors 3 times and myself twice due to illness. Would this be a total of a few hundred dollars/less or more? So on top of medicare levy you're also paying for docs appointment & then any associated medicines.

Edited by Keefo

Guest km75

Children are usually bulk billed (free).

A doctor's appt usually costs around $70 and you get about half back. There is also a safety net in place which caps your medical bills (I think about $400 per person). So once you reach this cap you would be bulk billed.

You would be charged for prescriptions.

Children are usually bulk billed (free).

A doctor's appt usually costs around $70 and you get about half back. There is also a safety net in place which caps your medical bills (I think about $400 per person). So once you reach this cap you would be bulk billed.

You would be charged for prescriptions.

Is that $400 per year and does it flash up somwhere that you've hit this cap/safety net. As you've described, it doesn't seem that bad although you're still paying medicare and then getting billed.

Guest km75

Yep, it's about $400 a year per person - as a family you get a medicare card (listing all members of your family), which you'll swipe each time you go to the doctors etc. They tally it up, but you can keep receipts etc. to check. Think prescriptions also have a cap.

The medicare levy is currently 1.5%, rising to 2%, of your taxable income. There is also an additional surcharge of 1% if you don't have private health insurance.

My son is insulin dependant , I miss the NHs for him not because the money , it's because I think they were on his case for follow up appointments , here they don't do that , he has to remember well I do .

Think his care was better in uk , but when I have had a problem straight away sent me for infusion , saw a consultant 172 I paid got 128 back from Medicare ,

i have private ins too , and ambulance cover costs me around 90 a year for ambulance cover and 234 a month for top hospital cover but need look into extras didn't realise eyes wasn't on it , been told to ask and been told to ask if the will waive waiting period too.

Me lads on 3 different insulin costs me about 130 a prescription , I have a ndss card and get needles for free and pay 15 dollars for tests strips instead of 45 .

nurse did tell me about ndss card for him , if he held a concession card he would get his prescription for next to nothing and 2.50 for tests strips , ect...

There was somert on news last night about diabetes free checkup sat QUT or somert but kids were rattling so I missed it lol .

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And lose a kidney whilst under anaesthetic? as a person who lives part time in thailand i can attest to the fact that you won't lose a kidney or any thing else they are very professional and clean ,you could eat your dinner off the floor. thailand may be a third world country but their healthcare is pretty good. they also pay a copayment 30 baht about a dollar

Edited by heyyu
addition

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And lose a kidney whilst under anaesthetic? as a person who lives part time in thailand i can attest to the fact that you won't lose a kidney or any thing else they are very professional and clean ,you could eat your dinner off the floor. thailand may be a third world country but their healthcare is pretty good. they also pay a copayment 30 baht about a dollar

Yes Thailand is good if as a foreigner you can pay for private hospital treatment. Not so great for an ordinary Thai though. Third World does indeed mean little for medical care and facilities if have the ability to pay. Spent time in Laos and Cambodia and both those countries, though great in most respects, for anything of a medical nature one wouldn't want to go to hospital there. Indeed Thailand is the place of choose.

Yes Thailand is good if as a foreigner you can pay for private hospital treatment. Not so great for an ordinary Thai though. Third World does indeed mean little for medical care and facilities if have the ability to pay. Spent time in Laos and Cambodia and both those countries, though great in most respects, for anything of a medical nature one wouldn't want to go to hospital there. Indeed Thailand is the place of choose.

i can only reply from my own experience of the thai system which i have used without private medical insurance,for as i later found was a minor problem but i had all tests and was only charged 20 aud, so i can't see it being any worse treatment for thais at 1 aud no false teeth in thailand the all have screw ins as decreed by the king

Edited by heyyu

There are heaps of bulk billing doctors where we live, I pay private for myself as I really like and trust my doctor, I am out of pocket $35ish an appointment, but they bulk bill under 16's, however, If I need too and am short on cash, there are lots of freee bulk billing doctors around for the entire family :)

Meds are extra.

We do not have private health and never paid the surcharge. This goes by if your single/family etc.. and how much you earn.

How much would each doctor appointment be in oz for example in the last fortnight we've had our 8 month old daughter at the doctors 3 times and myself twice due to illness. Would this be a total of a few hundred dollars/less or more? So on top of medicare levy you're also paying for docs appointment & then any associated medicines.
Edited by fairystar32