I move back to the UK 1 year ago... Oh my, I really wish I hadn't bothered!

Splash77

Your quote from the 3rd of January:

"I love England soooooo much especially these parts, yeah I had all that crap of people before we came home, I just laugh and smile. Because deep down we all know England is the best country in the world x"

What the 'eck has happened since then???

See post from April:

im from Doncaster, I moved back from oz last October and I can honestly say its the worst move I've made... I couldn't wait to get back to England coz I missed it so much (I know there will be people reading this thinking wtf) but its a an absolute mess, I've been to some beautiful areas for a look since coming back (but they are all quaint little villages with money) and also been to London BUT then you come back to the north and its a total mess....I've been looking for work last October and I might be in a chance finally of becoming a porter.... We have gone from 150,000 a year living in oz to £4,200 year living on job seekers allowance what the hell have we done.... And it's all down to thatcher making this beautiful country such a devastation she has destroyed community's and Doncaster is the biggest **** hole I've ever lived in, yes I'm from Doncaster and I've lived here for 30 years but this place is totally destroyed through thatcher, this town used to boom now it's full of smack heads, unemployment and homeless

I hope she rots in hell...

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also remember (and again, this isn't personal) how "vitriolic" (for want of a better word) some of your posts about Oz seemed to be............you hated the drivers, the tv, and the education system amongst other things...........if your kids are still of school age, how do you feel about bringing them back to that education system.

and that's putting it mildly Kev

There's nothing personal in what I am about to say, but have you really thought this thing through? Are you just going through a bad patch atm and are making a hasty decision?

I remember how enthusiastic you were about your return to the Uk and your pictures taken when you took your stroll through the village...............you seemed quite happy then.

I also remember (and again, this isn't personal) how "vitriolic" (for want of a better word) some of your posts about Oz seemed to be............you hated the drivers, the tv, and the education system amongst other things...........if your kids are still of school age, how do you feel about bringing them back to that education system.

Whatever it was that you disliked about australia will still be here when you return............. whatever it was about the uk that drove you to return, will still have that pull once you are here. Ask yourself is it really what you want? Whatever it is, I wish you all the best but please assure yourself that you have thought long and hard.

Australia now collectively dons its tin hat and waits for the other shoe to drop :goofy:

There's nothing personal in what I am about to say, but have you really thought this thing through? Are you just going through a bad patch atm and are making a hasty decision?

I remember how enthusiastic you were about your return to the Uk and your pictures taken when you took your stroll through the village...............you seemed quite happy then.

Whatever it was that you disliked about australia will still be here when you return............. whatever it was about the uk that drove you to return, will still have that pull once you are here. Ask yourself is it really what you want? Whatever it is, I wish you all the best but please assure yourself that you have thought long and hard.

Good points! The usual response I guess would be - have you thought about trying somewhere else in UK?

Dont know that I'd be that keen about Doncaster either!

yes that was then…this is now my account hasn't been hacked gpo1971 no wind up…yes i said some bad things but hey, everyone makes mistakes this is a forum to express how we feel ,, so that was then, this is now! yes i did have certain issues but taking step back and looking at the bigger picture i was wrong to say things about australia…but i disagree with people copy and posting things on threads when that was quite bit ago…anyway the truth of the matter is since being back in england I've now realised this is NOT where a wanna be so some of the problems i did outline about oz where MY problems at that time of my life and they certainly rant as bad as the problems I'm having here in the uk…but thanks for everyones good wishes hope you all have a nice day….

Guest guest41161
yes that was then…this is now my account hasn't been hacked gpo1971 no wind up…yes i said some bad things but hey, everyone makes mistakes this is a forum to express how we feel ,, so that was then, this is now! yes i did have certain issues but taking step back and looking at the bigger picture i was wrong to say things about australia…but i disagree with people copy and posting things on threads when that was quite bit ago…anyway the truth of the matter is since being back in england I've now realised this is NOT where a wanna be so some of the problems i did outline about oz where MY problems at that time of my life and they certainly rant as bad as the problems I'm having here in the uk…but thanks for everyones good wishes hope you all have a nice day….

I feel your pain and in the same sort of position. Not that I hate the UK, but I just cant seem to make it work here. Left a job where I was QLD manager for a large company and being back here at the bottom of the rung is a killer, and I mean bottom, basic staff member on poor money. Wife also left a career of 14 years with an airline to give UK a bash, and again bottom of the ladder, and we no longer have staff benefits, goodbye my business class everywhere. It was a chance we took, but the longer we go on, it appears we lost the bet.

Will it be the same back in Oz now too? I don't know, I'm only asking.....it's just that stuff has changed so much in the UK with pay / pensions etc being stripped back and if you have left it you can't now get it back.. Eg. a friend of mine has an old BA contract and works few part-time hours but if she left and came back she would never get this deal now. Is OZ the same possibly?

I feel your pain and in the same sort of position. Not that I hate the UK, but I just cant seem to make it work here. Left a job where I was QLD manager for a large company and being back here at the bottom of the rung is a killer, and I mean bottom, basic staff member on poor money. Wife also left a career of 14 years with an airline to give UK a bash, and again bottom of the ladder, and we no longer have staff benefits, goodbye my business class everywhere. It was a chance we took, but the longer we go on, it appears we lost the bet.

Guest guest41161
Will it be the same back in Oz now too? I don't know, I'm only asking.....it's just that stuff has changed so much in the UK with pay / pensions etc being stripped back and if you have left it you can't now get it back.. Eg. a friend of mine has an old BA contract and works few part-time hours but if she left and came back she would never get this deal now. Is OZ the same possibly?

In regards to airline benefits, depends on the airline. She could go back but would start again and have to wait 7 years before having access to upgradeable tickets. Different airlines though have different options eg CX allow upgrades after 6 month probation. JQ and Virgin I believe are also after probation. If she could get back in then employees entitled to pay into airlines super fund as per usual. Unions have a hold of it over there, and staff have so many rights, where here its a case of if you don't like it go, we will find someone else and we don't and won't care.

Well for me that would b quite a big factor. People say money doesnt matter but if perks enable u to do the nicer things in life I think thats a biggy

In regards to airline benefits, depends on the airline. She could go back but would start again and have to wait 7 years before having access to upgradeable tickets. Different airlines though have different options eg CX allow upgrades after 6 month probation. JQ and Virgin I believe are also after probation. If she could get back in then employees entitled to pay into airlines super fund as per usual. Unions have a hold of it over there, and staff have so many rights, where here its a case of if you don't like it go, we will find someone else and we don't and won't care.

Problem is when you hated oz and went on and on about it on this forum the feelings cannot possible have changed in 12 months, the same things you hated about oz are still there, how can the UK have changed in the shirt time you were in oz

To the OP

seems you made some hasty decisions...both ways.

now you've had time to weigh up both countries....

if you do decide to come back to Oz, then be prepared, the things that you hated will still be there..

we all know about them...it's just the way of the land.

if you want it to work 2nd time around ...accept them. Nowhere is perfect 100%, but in my eyes Oz has so much to offer, don't be the whinging pom. Make it work for you, accept its different but so so good. Adapt and there is a lot less problems.

good luck

To the OP

seems you made some hasty decisions...both ways.

now you've had time to weigh up both countries....

if you do decide to come back to Oz, then be prepared, the things that you hated will still be there..

we all know about them...it's just the way of the land.

if you want it to work 2nd time around ...accept them. Nowhere is perfect 100%, but in my eyes Oz has so much to offer, don't be the whinging pom. Make it work for you, accept its different but so so good. Adapt and there is a lot less problems.

good luck

Good advise, both countries gave so much to offer and some people just find the choice hard to make and that is why people ping Pong and some stay in oz some come back for good and some ping pong.

A few of you's on here will remember me on here, how I dreamed of being back here in England, I wish I'd never bothered I hate it here

yes I was certainly looking through rose tinted Glasses when I moved back so fed up with this gloomy grey depressing lifestyle....

Well I'm making plans to come back and to stay for good...

god I was so close to saying stick your citizenship WHY I felt like that I will never Know...

moving back to the UK has learnt me so much in a way I'm glad I moved back because I would of always been thinking an daydreaming about being here but in reality it's not what I thought, I now know the reasons I left in the first place. I've learnt so much and realised after selling our home our cars giving up our wonderfully paid jobs it was the biggest mistake of our lives!

But I'm determined and I'm gonna get my live back in order.... Yes I have family here in the UK but I now realise you can't live in there pockets And they art gonna pay your bills when times are tough so here's to the future...

I never thought I would say this but Australia is the best place to live in world!!!

Best of luck to you Larsson , we all make mistakes ....that's ALL of us .....all the best for your return .

My situation is different , I love both countries ...I just get on my high horse when people start slating Emgland

Last time round I found you unrelentingly dismissive of anything australia had to offer. But it sounds like its been so tough back home that a re-think is warranted. One word of advice. I love Australia, and Melbourne in particular, but I'd still struggle to enjoy my life in the burbs. You seemed to most struggle with boredom and a lack of stimulation last time. I'd seriously consider a different location that will give you more. Perhaps paying a bit more for housing closer in or heading to a beach. Whatever floats your boat but I'd aim for something completely different this time round. For those that find life here dull, nothing's changed.

Wow ... I can only imagine how much guts it took Larrson to make this OP to have people drudge through their previous posts and copy and paste them and use them. I'm glad to see that some people are being supportive of their decision and the end of the day it's theirs and doesn't really effect us does it?

Good luck to you Larrson

I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about Culture Shock on these forums because it's a common reaction for people moving to a new country. I think people assume that because Australia is English speaking and "like Britain", Culture Shock doesn't apply - but it does. "Hostility to the host nation" is one of the symptoms - and you obviously suffered from it!

Now you're back, it sounds like you can see some of that hate was irrational and just part of what you were suffering, not real. However before making any decisions to come back, I strongly suggest yo sit down and write a clear "pro's and cons" list, to make sure they really were irrational. You don't want to start ping ponging!

OP Can you explain what makes you say the UK is a "disgrace"? I'm not having a go, I'm genuinely interested as we are moving back to England after 10 years in Aus.

Yes and these are only based on my experiences and where I live..I live in Doncaster so that is enough said really I was looking through rose tinted glass's I know this sounds crazy but I watched a lot of he midsomer programmes when I lived in oz and it was like wow please let me live in one of hem houses with the straw roofs and the beautiful little villages but in reality it's not like that (for me anyway) having everything in oz and now really struggling just to live day to day (missing bills)Im finding it a real struggle it's dull grey and depressing wages I really thought bein back in England is what I wanted but it's really not I miss the Laid back lifestyle the weather which I never thought I would say the parrots the wild life the clean beaches the friendly hospitality in the shops ... Now I know why weaves in the first place good luck anyway with your move back I hope it's everything you've dreamed about x

Thanks for expanding a bit. I'll be okay as I love both the UK and Aus - we came here for an adventure rather than because we hated England so we're moving back to a place we were happy. I wondered if the place had changed a lot since we were away but it sounds like maybe it's a Doncaster thing for you rather than a UK thing. Good luck with your next move, I hope you find a place where you feel truly at home.

Yes and these are only based on my experiences and where I live..I live in Doncaster so that is enough said really I was looking through rose tinted glass's I know this sounds crazy but I watched a lot of he midsomer programmes when I lived in oz and it was like wow please let me live in one of hem houses with the straw roofs and the beautiful little villages but in reality it's not like that (for me anyway) having everything in oz and now really struggling just to live day to day (missing bills)Im finding it a real struggle it's dull grey and depressing wages I really thought bein back in England is what I wanted but it's really not I miss the Laid back lifestyle the weather which I never thought I would say the parrots the wild life the clean beaches the friendly hospitality in the shops ... Now I know why weaves in the first place good luck anyway with your move back I hope it's everything you've dreamed about x

midsomer in Doncaster ....lol please ...its all about where you live whether that be in oz or the u.k ......if I lived in Doncaster with depressed wages I would be out of there as well

I was in Australia on a working holiday visa and while I was in Perth, I met a guy.

problem was I absolutely hated Perth, infact I hated everything about Australia. Give me anything and I could of moaned about it. Then me and mr Australia got serious so after lots of difficult conversations I gave in and said fine il move to oz ( at one point I was begging him to come to England) I'm now off shore waiting for my visa, in fact I'm in England waiting for my visa back into oz and I'm so glad I came back to England. As it made me realise what the am I thinking, there really is nothing left in England any more, sad but true and I can't wait to get back into Australia

Just out of interest, would you try anywhere else in the UK first or is it Doncaster or bust sort of thing?

I only ask as I've moved round the UK a bit and elsewhere in the world and at least in the UK, moving areas often changed life dramatically. Work, social life, housing and more. About the only thing you really can't change is the weather. Some parts fare better than others just its still not going to have a climate like southern Europe or hotter parts of the world.

I get why you would choose to head back to Aus of course, and think thats fair enough, but wondering given you were happy to be back initially, if you'd maybe find somewhere more suited to you away from the Doncaster area.

Guest Guest66881

I was thinking along the same lines a Snifter, why not look at the Eurozone rather than just England, why not try Wales for instance if you want to stay in Britian or Germany if you feel a bit more adventurous?

Living back in your 'comfort' zone does not usually mean comfortable, especially if you have been away for a while i think.

I was thinking along the same lines a Snifter, why not look at the Eurozone rather than just England, why not try Wales for instance if you want to stay in Britian or Germany if you feel a bit more adventurous?

Living back in your 'comfort' zone does not usually mean comfortable, especially if you have been away for a while i think.

We looked into moving to Wales as we spent lots of time down there and really liked the area, but work was a big issue for us ,so ruled it out as somewhere to live full time. We then went to Spain and although we did enjoy our time there ,it wasnt enough to make us want to stay and raise a family there, hence we then looked into Australia and here we are,lol..

Cal x