What made you decide to move to Aus

Londongal76

So somehow on my 3rd trip down under over christmas, to visit my beautiful godson and best friend, i've decided that leaving my 2nd family over there is too hard every time and to apply for a SOL visa. Not something i'd ever considered before, thought my life plan was here in the UK, but i'm single, no kids, so have nothing to lose. I figure if i get a visa, i can always go over and come back if it doesn't work out, I have friends and family in the UK but we're all over the place and most have families of their own and are busy with their own lives so we don't catch up too often, and family wise my parents are already gone, and the rest of us are a bit disjointed and not very close, so I don't think missing them will be a huge factor.

I realise the 9-5 will still have to happen, and it won't be like being there on holiday, but i have a support network there and hopefully the ability to get a decent paying job. I just think i'd rather spend my weekends on the water/camping/outside instead of watching TV in a bid to avoid the cold.

What made you move over? What were your reasons? Trying not to second guess myself here:wink:

Edited by Londongal76

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The desire for a less stressful lifestyle - I perceived Australia to be more laid back, more opportunities for outdoor sports (which I love) and something different from the typical suburban commuter lifestyle I had in the UK.

It didn't work out that way at all and we moved back - the losses were greater than the gains. Neither country is perfect, it's about finding out which meets your personal needs best and what you have to give up for that.

Yes, I realise you get out what you put in. And i don't hate the UK at all, far from it. Just had a moment of wondering if i really want life how it is now, to be how it will be forever. And i guess home is where the heart is, and my heart is hugely there at the moment. I feel more like i'm existing here, where as there i feel like i'm living.

I'm moving back for family. It's different as I was raised in Australia, and moved to the UK 8 years ago. But last year I was quite ill, and realised that while I love so many many things about living in London, in the end nothing is as important as family. But then we are a very close family, we talk almost every day on whatsapp which helps keep up close, but for the smaller kids that just doesn't work.

So we are heading off! Hopefully there by the end of the year once we get a visa for my husband.

We are moving for the adventure, desire to see and live in more places than just one. It`s not the first move for us, we migrated 8 years ago to the USA. This time it`s a little bit more complicated because we have kids now but they are still little and I believe and hope they will adapt easily. We wanted to move somewhere else for the past 3 years ( Houston is flat, very busy, we saw all the attractions within driving distance multiple times). We looked into moving to the west coast of the US, Australia or New Zealand ( Canada was out, beautiful but freezing). Australia looked the best fit for us - based on our research. We made a quick 2 week visit last year and had a blast.

I know that feeling too. I lived in Cape Town for a year a few years ago and honestly, apart from missing Marmite, I don't think i was homesick once. I'm at a point here in London where i want to move further out, moving out means leaving the friends i have here anyway and starting over somewhere new - where that would be would really be random as i've no real calling to anywhere and other friends are scattered around the UK, or living abroad themselves. I love the UK but i'm quite adaptable, and with no ties here (apart from some good friends, i have the same down under too) i think i'm thinking why not.

I just don't get homesick. I hated every minute we were in NI and only once when I was pregnant and hubby in Afghan did I desperately want to come "home". We have my family but we aren't close at all (apart from my Grandparents) and with hubby in the army we haven't laid down "roots" we have friends all over the world too although my best friend is in the UK she is an Army wife too so don't live on each others doorstep and I know she will visit lol x

Edited by Counting Stars

I am planning to move from UK to Australia (Sydney area), before the end of 2014, because my partner is Australian. He's lived in London for 12 years and wants to go back home now - to be closer to aging parents, three siblings, nieces, nephews etc. He really loves being in the UK but we are both prepared to give it a go. I am not insanely excited about it but am of the opinion that is it an opportunity I wouldn't be able to take if it were not for the OH. I've never lived outside the UK and I would be very happy to spend a few years there at least, and see where it takes us. So no pressing reasons really, just taking a chance and and an interest in things unknown!

Edited by vickyplum

Ah I know Helensvale quite well. How are you settling in?

loving it! Been a hectic 4 month with a trip back to the UK for Christmas but we couldn't wait to return, felt like we were 'coming home'! It's a lovely neighbourhood, nice to be able to walk around go to shops without encountering hordes sof youths in track suits, caps and trousers tucked in socks intimidating folk like they did where we were in the Uk. Gone from a 2 bed terrace to a 4 bed bungalow with pool! Love sitting outside with my cuppa before work watching the birds. Made some lovely friends, got a job at a local GP practice, son at Helensvale High School. All good so far!

when are you looking at coming over?

So somehow on my 3rd trip down under over christmas, to visit my beautiful godson and best friend, i've decided that leaving my 2nd family over there is too hard every time and to apply for a SOL visa. Not something i'd ever considered before, thought my life plan was here in the UK, but i'm single, no kids, so have nothing to lose. I figure if i get a visa, i can always go over and come back if it doesn't work out, I have friends and family in the UK but we're all over the place and most have families of their own and are busy with their own lives so we don't catch up too often, and family wise my parents are already gone, and the rest of us are a bit disjointed and not very close, so I don't think missing them will be a huge factor.

I realise the 9-5 will still have to happen, and it won't be like being there on holiday, but i have a support network there and hopefully the ability to get a decent paying job. I just think i'd rather spend my weekends on the water/camping/outside instead of watching TV in a bid to avoid the cold.

What made you move over? What were your reasons? Trying not to second guess myself here:wink:

I moved many years ago when the economy in the UK was very depressed, so it's not relevant. However I think you should go for it! As you say, being single you're not going to have as much expense as moving a family, so it won't be so painful if you decide it was the wrong decision.

Besides, my observation is that proximity to loved ones is a very important factor in whether migrating works or not. It's the people who deeply miss their family or friends who are most likely to go home, regardless of other factors. So the fact that you're coming TO the people you care about most, suggests to me that you'll do just fine!

Moved for the adventure - although was never meant to be permanent. Came on a WHV and still here nearly 3 years later! I think the weather and the beaches sold it to me when it was always so cold and grey in England.

I don't get homesick really, but I do feel a bit of a twinge when I know I'm missing out on things back there, like my best friend telling me this week she's pregnant with her first child. I know I'm not going to be a part of their lives and it makes me a bit sad.

But I do love living here, so that's the pay off I guess.

I just think i'd rather spend my weekends on the water/camping/outside instead of watching TV in a bid to avoid the cold.

Much the same thoughts as you when we emigrated. We had come to a point in life where we really couldn't see things improving in the UK. We were both working in good jobs, had a small end terrace we had to spend loads on to make livable, had our first child, couldn't afford a holiday abroad that year, for the first time in probably 25 years and the weather was crap the whole summer. We got to thinking is this as good as it gets, taking the youngster in the pram, covered up so he wouldn't get wet, to the duck pond in the village was the highlight of the weekend.

My wife was a bit scared of telling her parents we were emigrating as they only lived down the road and would obviously miss us all. They were really supportive though and said it's the best thing you can do. Her Dad asked me why we had chosen Perth and Australia, as we hadn't been to Aus and didn't know that much about it. He caught me a bit by surprise and I just came out with "the weathers so much better and we love sunshine and beaches". Didn't fill him full of confidence I can tell you.:biggrin:

We've never looked back though and we've taken to it like ducks to water.

Yes, I realise you get out what you put in.

I hear that quite a lot on PIO and I'm still not sure what it means? Some seem to infer that if they "throw their heart and soul into it" it'll work out. I've been on the forum a while now, longer than my profile suggests, and I know that some have put in plenty and it still doesn't work out for them........................I've come to relaise that "luck" does play a part...................being in the right place at the right time.................job opportunies/finding friends/ settling down etc.............some do try their hardest and "luck" just seems to just pass them by.................whatever "luck" is?.................I really feel sorry for them.

So, to your question..............the primary reason..........my father lay on a trolley in a corridor for 3 days (when the hospitals were 're-structuring" to go trust)..................he died there as they couldn't find a bed..................my wife was a nurse on the ward that he should have been admitted to. She came home in tears one day, shortly thereafter, and simply said, "I can't nurse like this" She was ready to give it all up after going through all the re-training from originally being a helicopter mechanic.............that's how bad she thought it was, and how much she felt that it would get worse. The other (major) reason was that our area was going downhiill (crime-wise) and we could see no future for our kids.............personal safety for the family became a major concern...........so here we are...............safe (touch wood) with a job that my wife loves, colleagues that are full of enthusiasm, doctors who don't see nurses as subordinates, and kids that have grown to feel safe, and who recognise what opportunies Australia has offered us. We feel secure, something that we never felt in the UK.

I think I just came for an adventure, and I sometimes look back and regret breaking our family up, encouraging my brothers to follow me, leaving my parents and grandmother behind, but my parents came out many times, and made contact with long lost family in NZ.

I've been back to the UK many times, and lived there for twelve years, but now my parents have passed away, and I've been back in Sydney for five years, and I guess I just 'live' here now. I don't have any plans to go back to the UK.

I had been working international FIFO and two jobs arrived that meant moving international. One in Canada, the other in Oz. I was actually more keen on the Canada one. But then my wife found out about the climate where we would be living in Canada - a small town in the arctic circle. And that was the decision made for me. But, it's working out.

Still miss ice and snow though.

I had been working international FIFO and two jobs arrived that meant moving international. One in Canada, the other in Oz. I was actually more keen on the Canada one. But then my wife found out about the climate where we would be living in Canada - a small town in the arctic circle. And that was the decision made for me. But, it's working out.

Still miss ice and snow though.

Leave WA and there's plenty of ice and snow around Australia