What made you decide to move to Aus

Londongal76

We came for several reasons.We didn't like life under Ted Heath for one - constant strikes, electricity cuts , bread queues etc. We also wanted more sunshine,a better house, more cash and especially for our babies and any future babies, some land around us. So we got our education, degrees etc- and did the dump on the UK.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when are you looking at coming over?

No idea - only just back from a months holiday there :) during which i had my lightbulb what am i doing with my life moment, and starting looking on the SOL list.

Spoke to a migration agent yesterday who seems to think a 189 SOL Independant visa with enough points to get an invite to apply won't be an issue. He came recommended from here so i'm hoping he's worth the ££. He reckons 9 month or so for the visa process, so who knows.

As i understand it, if you get a visa, you have a certain amount of time to fly to Oz and 'activate' it then 5 years to move over permanently?

It is the living in it I miss - last job before Oz was Siberia. But just about to have a g&t in the pool, so not all bad :)

Quite a change that...

Bit different to most posters as we chose to retire here 11 years ago. We have moved around a lot, lived in Germany, Africa and 9 years before retiring in Brunei. Didn't fancy or weren't ready to go back to UK, on retirement. Always liked Australia, from frequent visits + working here for a while, so thought why not live here for a few years. So glad we did, we love it. Have travelled round lots of Australia, the outback, far north QLd, South Australia, Tasmania and more. Go back to UK most years and know we made the right decision for us.

2 of our 3 children have since joined us here, so life is even better than we could have hoped.

No idea - only just back from a months holiday there :) during which i had my lightbulb what am i doing with my life moment, and starting looking on the SOL list.

Spoke to a migration agent yesterday who seems to think a 189 SOL Independant visa with enough points to get an invite to apply won't be an issue. He came recommended from here so i'm hoping he's worth the ££. He reckons 9 month or so for the visa process, so who knows.

As i understand it, if you get a visa, you have a certain amount of time to fly to Oz and 'activate' it then 5 years to move over permanently?

Without checking my paperwork I think it's 5 years to validate. Not knocking agents but if your case is straightforward you could prob do process yourself. I did with a lot of help of folk off here! Good luck

Well, I know some of it is straight forward, but i'd rather do the skills assessment with some help as I believe it's pages of documentation that needs to be written in 'the right way', also they hand hold you through getting higher points in the english tests, which i need to get the higher end of the points scale and guarantee an invite.

What made you move over? What were your reasons? Trying not to second guess myself here:wink:

In short, my husband! The big 'four oh' is approaching this year and he's suddenly decided he wants more out of life! We have an amazing life here in the UK, so to say it came as a bit of a shock is an understatement! We do worry about the children's future and what opportunities will be possible in the UK 10, 20 years from now (lots of boring economic reasoning) but we've also realised we don't need to move at the pace we do here and would most definitely like a better work/life balance. My husband is a workaholic and I have no doubt life in Australia will eventually start to resemble life back here but the thought of more quality family time, evenings spent outdoors, increased recreational time, better weather etc etc and simply just having him around to see the children grow up....it seems like a no brainer! I'm devastated at the thought of leaving all my friends and family and whilst I'm really excited, I also have pangs of apprehension, but life is short and I feel you should always grab the chance of a new adventure......

In short, my husband! The big 'four oh' is approaching this year and he's suddenly decided he wants more out of life! We have an amazing life here in the UK, so to say it came as a bit of a shock is an understatement! We do worry about the children's future and what opportunities will be possible in the UK 10, 20 years from now (lots of boring economic reasoning) but we've also realised we don't need to move at the pace we do here and would most definitely like a better work/life balance. My husband is a workaholic and I have no doubt life in Australia will eventually start to resemble life back here but the thought of more quality family time, evenings spent outdoors, increased recreational time, better weather etc etc and simply just having him around to see the children grow up....it seems like a no brainer! I'm devastated at the thought of leaving all my friends and family and whilst I'm really excited, I also have pangs of apprehension, but life is short and I feel you should always grab the chance of a new adventure......

It is scary isn't it. I've scared myself a little just seriously considering it, but like you say, what if isn't worth it. Worst that can happen is after a couple of years if you really don't get on, you can come back. either way, it'll be an adventure and life experience that's irreplacable.

It is scary isn't it. I've scared myself a little just seriously considering it, but like you say, what if isn't worth it. Worst that can happen is after a couple of years if you really don't get on, you can come back. either way, it'll be an adventure and life experience that's irreplacable.

that's what I figure as well - good attitude! ;)

Definitely! I've lived life flying by the seat of my pants lol, having children has grounded me slightly and having 3 little lives we're responsible for has meant we've approached this with much more caution, as we have to make the right decisions for their future! If I was in your position...there would be no hesitation! You've got the opportunity to create a whole new future for yourself, scary yes, but very exciting :-D

T

That is so funny as it is our reply when people ask us why we came here. 33 years in June and absolutely no regrets

There must be an awful lot of people here because of one women. We were a few years behind you but it was the way the country headed under Thatcher that was one of the reasons we started looking at emigrating. Every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

I had been working international FIFO and two jobs arrived that meant moving international. One in Canada, the other in Oz. I was actually more keen on the Canada one. But then my wife found out about the climate where we would be living in Canada - a small town in the arctic circle. And that was the decision made for me. But, it's working out.

Still miss ice and snow though.

Buy a bloody ice maker!:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
Punct.

Moved out here (from London) in Oct 2012. Live in Sydney. Had all the trials of homesickness, cant find a job etc, no friends. Overcame all these issues. Was back in London at Christmas for a week. I do miss aspects of home but in truth they are all minor and I can afford to go back whenever I like so I am pretty fortunate. I have a standard of living that is much better than I had in London.

Now I am a bit more settled, have steady work and live in a nice place but do feel occasionally I am losing my edge, Sydney is a small city in respects. Never hated London, quite the opposite and may well move back someday. My partner is Aussie and she feels the same.

For all that, sometimes I look at the harbour bridge/opera house from Circular Quay station and remember why I came. Similarly when we drive for two hours and have an unspoiled beach to ourselves or hang in a beer garden on a beautiful day without fighting for a seat. Or the friendly service at (most) pubs and the fact that I can wear t-shirts and shorts for 10 months of the year and realise most of my day to day problems are utterly trivial.

Will be hard to leave...

Lost my job due to the big R word tried for two years to get work had the odd bit here and there but nothing sustainable

lost my house.

lost my cars except one that my gran-dad bought back off the guy I sold it too as a birthday present

lost my girlfriend of 4 years.

almost lost my mind trying to find work and fighting insurance companies to pay up each month

I was broken.

Sister rang PR in Melbourne 14 years said come and live with me for a year ill pay for your visa and ticket.

Got offered a 457 while working for a company on the WHV and two years later applied and got our PR.

Lost my job due to the big R word tried for two years to get work had the odd bit here and there but nothing sustainable

lost my house.

lost my cars except one that my gran-dad bought back off the guy I sold it too as a birthday present

lost my girlfriend of 4 years.

almost lost my mind trying to find work and fighting insurance companies to pay up each month

I was broken.

Sister rang PR in Melbourne 14 years said come and live with me for a year ill pay for your visa and ticket.

Got offered a 457 while working for a company on the WHV and two years later applied and got our PR.

There's a song in there! (I went to see 'The Grapes of Wrath' yesterday too, which shares a similar theme?)