Why did you take citizenship....?

paul1977

Did you take it up to generally be classed as Australian or did you take it purly so you can live in Australia indefinitely ..?

PR allows you to live here indefinitely.

I did it because I knew I would not be moving back to the UK and I wanted the stability of being able to vote etc. My children were born here and I wanted to have the same citizenship as them.

It's like being given the opportunity to join an exclusive club, two clubs in fact, because you remain a member of the 'Pommie Club', and now you are a member of the 'Aussie Club' too.

More importantly, it's a convenient 'fall back position' when England are playing as badly as they are in The Ashes!

I've actually let my 'Pommie Club' 'membership expire, not having renewed my British passport. What does it matter anyway? No Aussie will ever accept me as 'True Blue' with my accent!

Both, to make it easier coming and going, to give us 'options' but mostly as the final and natural piece of the jigsaw to fully intergrate and participate in the country we call home. We will never be 'Australian' imo..though it will say so in our passports...I see it more as like an 'honourary' degree...an honourary citizenship...I believe your country of birth and origin is usually the nationality you feel most affiliated towards...I expect the longer you are here the less relevance country of birth has though...I stoll feel very English despite my citizenship...just a pom in Oz!

I've not got it yet, but I can't vote here, despite paying my taxes and contributing in every other way. I worked for the Civil Service in the UK and can't here. Because to get an RRV every single time I want to go abroad is expensive. I want my son to get Citizenship to give him choices. Roll on next year :cool:

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

We did it because you know what the future holds.

10 Years ago ,we hadnt even thought about living in Aus, so regardless of what happens in the future we have the freedom of living /moving between either country relatively easily. More than anything it gives our children a choice when they are older, without all the hoop jumping and financial outlay we had to do.

Cal x

We don't plan on returning to the UK, this is our home and we wanted to be able to vote. I understand that people want the ease of coming and going/if the children needed it in the future, I can honestly say that wasn't something we thought about, getting citizenship and belonging was the final piece of our jigsaw.

Couldn't wait to get it as it was always in the back of our mind that they might change the rules and suddenly decide people who hadn't taken the option would get sent back. Literally used to have nightmares about that.:laugh:

Just seemed a natural thing to do. Australia had been good enough to accept our application, we settled in well and love it and we thought it would be great to acknowledge it was the place we wanted to be. Haven't bothered keeping bot passports going for us or the kids as it's too expensive. The options always there though.

Gives the kids heaps of options as they get older too.

PR allows you to live in Australia indefinitely you don't have to become a citizen for that. The advantage of citizenship over PR is that it allows you to leave Australia indefinitely without ever losing the right to return.

Exactly, its a bit stupid to have a PR visa or the visa itself is stupid. After 4-5 years you cant then leave the country so realistically it isnt a proper PR sa you cant even go on holiday. therefore you are pushed to get the citizenship.

Now this is where it gets tricky especially if you bought a house in Oz and still have it and leave. You may be liable for ozzie taxes................

Guest littlesarah

I'm doing it because I want to be able to wave my blue passport under my husband's nose like he always does to me! And I don't want to be the only non-Aussie in our house!!

Seriously, I want to take up citizenship because Australia is now my home and I want to make that a permanent connection. Somehow having citizenship seems more permanent than a permanent residence visa (which requires another visa to re-enter the country once the original visa expires). And for me, I like the thought of being a citizen before Baby Little arrives (hopefully).

Guest Guest66881

Seriously considering it now, all the jitters and stumbles have been shuck off hopefully so from now on it's positive thoughts and a positive future for all of us.

This is our home and we have earned it, and we all don't want to be anywhere else.

Ok you get added securities with it in place also, closes the loop so to speak.

2 years until we can apply but we will be because:

a) after 5 years you have to apply for an RRV and again every 5 years - seems like a pain to me

b) if we leave and go elsewhere we always want the option to return without jumping through hoops (again)

c) Other half said he'd like to 'be like James Bond' and have two passports :rolleyes:

Did you take it up to generally be classed as Australian or did you take it purly so you can live in Australia indefinitely ..?

We will take it when we qualify. Mainly for the latter reason around being here indefinitely, there is no final piec of the jigsaw for me, it is purely a practical option.

2 years until we can apply but we will be because:

a) after 5 years you have to apply for an RRV and again every 5 years - seems like a pain to me

b) if we leave and go elsewhere we always want the option to return without jumping through hoops (again)

c) Other half said he'd like to 'be like James Bond' and have two passports :rolleyes:

Wouldn't bother with 2 passports Nic, it's expensive and when we went back to the UK recently we used our Aussie ones and we were through quicker then people in the UK line. There were only about 6 of us in the non-UK line.