Heading back to the UK after 18 months of a living nightmare,

Fryertuck

Ok, we got sold the big picture about living in Oz, we have family in Brisbane we've been before and we knew what to expect or so we thought, so cutting to the edge, my wife and I are in management, me a PM in construction, my wife A HR consultant, I gave up getting a job after 150 plus applications, my wife gave up 120 both on seek and through networks, every time we had an interview we were told we lack QUEENSLAND EXPERIENCE, like we used to work in LONDON on mulit-million pound platforms, its the same systems in both our professions. So we sent money on courses, my wife joining the HR organisation and still no luck, and to be honest, unless you have a job secured in Australia, there job cuts every where here in Brisbane, we now have the 3 months of no employment because everyone basically takes 3 months off for holidays as it is so hot.

We've found it very boring, there are so many times you go to the park, or go swimming, everyone is in bed at 8:30 /9pm up at 4:30 /5am to beat the heat, we've done all the beaches, the whale watching, turtles, barrier reef, now were heading to wheat i can only say is not xmas, not as you know from the UK or we are customed too, the weather is lovely, you can't beat it, but meeting new friends, securing a job we've found impossible. were fed up renting, we pay more rent in 1 week then out mortgage in the UK, our car a 10 year old jeep cost us $20,000 dollars and its not about import taxes, the cost of living here is so extreme, so we are heading him win Jan 2014, were going to sydney for new year then heading home, i use the term home as we've never settled here, its a lovely place, but home its not, but being sold the big dream about lifestyle, easy jobs, great salary, living in the sun, no…sorry its not like, don't be fooled, great the job first, buy the house don't rent, then you maybe in a better situation, but a dream it hasn't been, but good luck to all who try..

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is the very reason I always take the (sometimes unwelcome) stance of raising and frantically waving the red flag when I hear newbies talking about things such as; better life, easy jobs, great salary, living in the sun etc. Australia is just another first world country, it has all the challenges of a certain other first world country. It is important to be clear about reasons for moving and also to pick the spot appropriately ... on that note, perhaps Brisbane was not the best place for your skill sets and maybe Sydney / Melbourne would be better?

Brisbane is a tough one to break into. I have many Aussie friends there and they have been in the situation of facing redundancy and finding new jobs - with little success.

It's competitive to say the least and local applicants are naturally preferred. A lot of Aussie families are doing it tough there.

Your career opportunities will be in Sydney. Try your luck here b4 you give up !!

Ok, we got sold the big picture about living in Oz, we have family in Brisbane we've been before and we knew what to expect or so we thought, so cutting to the edge, my wife and I are in management, me a PM in construction, my wife A HR consultant, I gave up getting a job after 150 plus applications, my wife gave up 120 both on seek and through networks, every time we had an interview we were told we lack QUEENSLAND EXPERIENCE, like we used to work in LONDON on mulit-million pound platforms, its the same systems in both our professions. So we sent money on courses, my wife joining the HR organisation and still no luck, and to be honest, unless you have a job secured in Australia, there job cuts every where here in Brisbane, we now have the 3 months of no employment because everyone basically takes 3 months off for holidays as it is so hot.

We've found it very boring, there are so many times you go to the park, or go swimming, everyone is in bed at 8:30 /9pm up at 4:30 /5am to beat the heat, we've done all the beaches, the whale watching, turtles, barrier reef, now were heading to wheat i can only say is not xmas, not as you know from the UK or we are customed too, the weather is lovely, you can't beat it, but meeting new friends, securing a job we've found impossible. were fed up renting, we pay more rent in 1 week then out mortgage in the UK, our car a 10 year old jeep cost us $20,000 dollars and its not about import taxes, the cost of living here is so extreme, so we are heading him win Jan 2014, were going to sydney for new year then heading home, i use the term home as we've never settled here, its a lovely place, but home its not, but being sold the big dream about lifestyle, easy jobs, great salary, living in the sun, no…sorry its not like, don't be fooled, great the job first, buy the house don't rent, then you maybe in a better situation, but a dream it hasn't been, but good luck to all who try..

I agree with the others- Brisbane and the Gold Coast are notoriously difficult to break into. Why? Mainly because lots of people want the good life up there and already have good contacts for getting employment. It is where many Australians go for their holidays and then fall in love with the place and stay on, looking for work.

I've seen countless posts on here about Brits not being able to break into HR through lack of local experience . I think with certain jobs your going to have to take a step back career wise and accept that before you give yourself unrealistic expectations . Seek is not a realistic measure of what jobs are on offer. People must do their homework and see what the job market is like before coming out. It was the case when we came and I'm sure nothing's different .

Edited by Que Sera, Sera

You say you've family here and that you've been before...so who sold you the dream?

Sounds more like you liked what you saw while on hols and maybe fancied a bit of what the family living here had.

Im not knocking you by any means, I just wonder if your thoughts would have been the same had you walked into a job in the first week. No matter how great a place, if you've nothing to live on and your self esteem keeps getting knocked its going to bring a place down.

everybody has thoughts on what risks you should take coming here. I know thousands do it and I take my hat off to them but no way would I have moved without a job in place.

wishing you all the best in your next venture

I do understand your frustration .. Gotta say but there is alot false statements in your post. Who stops work for 3 months in brisbane because its too hot. Lived here all my life and never heard that one before. Building trade in brisbane is in a good position at the moment for tradies. Finding now blokes that left there trades over the years are getting back into again. Even adds run for tradies in the paper are not getting replys as everyone's working. Puts blokes in a good position for better money.

We do stop work over christmas for our annual break usually 2-3 weeks but there is alot of blokes i know this year who will be working mostly right though as there so busy.maybe that's what your talking about . Christmas is usually most tradies holiday break. Using seek and job agencies for construction work was the first mistake here. I'm not knocking you or having a go as i do know its hard breaking into a industry in a different country. most of the time its not what you know but who you know, regardless of the country. Good luck in your return

Well this is the very reason I always take the (sometimes unwelcome) stance of raising and frantically waving the red flag when I hear newbies talking about things such as; better life, easy jobs, great salary, living in the sun etc. Australia is just another first world country, it has all the challenges of a certain other first world country. It is important to be clear about reasons for moving and also to pick the spot appropriately ... on that note, perhaps Brisbane was not the best place for your skill sets and maybe Sydney / Melbourne would be better?

Sorry Rupert, You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

You really have no idea how impossible it is to secure a job here when you live in another country. As an employer myself, there is no way I would consider giving a job to someone from 12,000 miles away sight unseen when I can see a local within a couple of days of application.

Tony.

You really have no idea how impossible it is to secure a job here when you live in another country. As an employer myself, there is no way I would consider giving a job to someone from 12,000 miles away sight unseen when I can see a local within a couple of days of application.

Tony.

Which is not what Rupert said, is it?

I find your post very honest and thought provoking, moving to OZ really can be a gamble, for some it's a great success, for others it dosnt work out and your story highlights that so much. The most important part of emigrating is getting employment so you can establish yourself, and that can be hard. Here in Perth I was at a kiddies party tonight talking to a lovely lady who has an Economics and Business PhD and significant work experience in her own country at a high level! she has a young child and has been out of the workforce for 12 months and hasn't yet done any work here in OZ, she is now looking for work and is pitching herself at admin level and is having a really hard time, so far she has just received rejections or silence, it can be very hard to get your first foot in the door and my conversation with this lady tonight really emphasized this to me. I wish you all the best of luck and would just add like others maybe try Sydney/Melbourne before you throw in the towel. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you both xx

Oh dear what a shame but it is also true that you came here and saw what you thought you wanted - you sold yourself the dream no-one else did. As for boring well what can I say - that's up to you. I certainly don't know anyone who comes home from work and goes to bed so early most people I know are out doing stuff. Boring? There is so much to do anywhere in the world get out and experience it however I do realise that your judgement is very coloured with not having work and I can understand that but please don't blame any place or anyone for the situation you are in - it is unfortunate circumstances. Anyway if you end up going back good luck to you

Tony.

What are you on about? Rupert said nothing about securing a job whilst overseas. Perhaps try reading her post again before replying to it..

To all, lack of planning maybe but being turned down for jobs because of a lack of Queensland experience, sorry not having that. We've tried it, we're very happy to do so, since we have been in Oz we've applied for jobs nation wide to stay here from Perth to Melbourne Sydney, to no avail.. We have family who have lived here for 8 years who have helped in there own way, but we landed 2 months before the massive job cull, so no matter wat we did, planned or arranged it was always going to be hard, but that made it impossible..on the positive we loved the experience, would not want to live a life wishing we tried, we can leave happy we tried, great memories, just not our home, sold the dream by immigration agents maybe, family friends and our previous trips, onwards and upwards.....

Thanks to all with positive notes, very kind..

for balance for some I have Project management institute trained, I worked on the London Olympics programme or works award winning, my wife was HR consultant, in senior role for a finance company, we've tried to get work and move ourselves around Oz to secure our future and in 18 months, not a sniff, very sad, but that's life.

my post was just a little sample for others on the way here, to help know it will be tough. Boring comment, Brisbane is very expensive as is Oz in general without a job you can't do everything, we do go out and enjoy the place, but if people think Oz is sports mad, sorry think again..oh and the TV isn't to clever, but we didn't come for that either...we will enjoy our last warm Xmas...as I hope you do, thanks for reading...

To be fully trained, qualified, experienced to fulfill a role and be told sorry we can't take you because of a lack of Queensland experience is a complete cop out, maybe even Union related who knows, it's so frustrating, we've met so many people who have struggled, I feel for 457 visa people, we have PR visa, but after the struggles we've had, my wife and I stopped applying 4 weeks ago, I have written over a 100 covering letters to no avail..time to say that enough, we will enjoy what time we have left but sadly we go, but with found memories and heads held high, we leave a space for others to try and full fill there dreams..

Tony.

What? :confused:

I think more to the point you have no idea what I am talking about as I did not even mention jobs or looking for work.