dubai water bottles

newjez

Same at all airports I think since they introduced the restrictions on liquid amount you can take on a plane

Agree with this. When transiting you face the same 100ml (or is it 150ml I forget) restrictions. Take an empty bottle and fill it at a water fountain once you clear the security checks. We do this from the off and haven't had a problem. So long as it's empty when you go through the security checks they don't seem to worry.

• 1 month later...

The problem isn't 'dubai water bottles' or people in shops in Dubai. The problem is Australian government paranoia and it is their regulations that prevents you from taking a bottle of water onboard a flight to Australia even though you bought it after security. Board a flight to London in Dubai and there will be no problem with a bottle of water.

Australia is one of very few countries that demands 'secondary screening' at the gate.

• Like 1

The problem isn't 'dubai water bottles' or people in shops in Dubai. The problem is Australian government paranoia and it is their regulations that prevents you from taking a bottle of water onboard a flight to Australia even though you bought it after security. Board a flight to London in Dubai and there will be no problem with a bottle of water.

Australia is one of very few countries that demands 'secondary screening' at the gate.

I disagree. We got into difficulty with this boarding a flight to London from Dubai. However, the universal get out (which they let you through with), is that the bottle contains sterile water for the children (only works if the kids are under 5). We have done this several times in the Middle East and been allowed on with full water bottles. This was both to and from Australia.

Never had secondary screening in Oz. Though usually get it in Dubai - not always. Get in most African countries and in Dar es Salaam you cant even get in the airport till screened

Rubbish, nothing to do with flights to Australia! We've travelled on 4 international flights USA to Australia with no secondary screening after security nor water bottles confiscated. The USA is the most paranoid when it comes to screening onboard luggage and understandably so. However I've flown many times within, to and out of the USA since Sept 11th with no issues boarding with liquids post-security. Sounds like a bizarre Middle-Eastern quirk more than anything.

• Like 1

Happened to us in Dubai. What was more annoying was that hubby went to the shop to buy water for the plane and took a large bottle to the check out - assistant told him he wouldn't be able to take a large bottle on board so should buy two smaller ones. Purchased and walked about 5 meters to the gate and we weren't allowed through with them. Wasn't impressed!

Rubbish, nothing to do with flights to Australia! We've travelled on 4 international flights USA to Australia with no secondary screening after security nor water bottles confiscated. The USA is the most paranoid when it comes to screening onboard luggage and understandably so. However I've flown many times within, to and out of the USA since Sept 11th with no issues boarding with liquids post-security. Sounds like a bizarre Middle-Eastern quirk more than anything.

No it's not rubbish...and it has everything to do with Australia. It's a middle east thing if Hong Kong and Bangkok are in the middle east too then. If it's not an Australian regulation then explain to me why when boarding a flight to Australia in Hong Kong, after having your boarding pass scanned you then have your carry on bags rummaged through by security personnel and there are bins full of bottles of water, whereas boarding a flight to London, also from HKG, this does not happen.

Anyway, you can read about Australia's inbound security requirements here:

Restrictions for inbound flights to Australia

Australia applies restrictions for flights both to and from Australia. Australia requires airlines to put in place procedures at overseas airports for flights to Australia, to ensure that passengers do not have liquids, aerosols and gels in their carry-on baggage in excess of the restrictions.

The only method by which liquids (>100ml) can be taken onboard is when the shop delivers them to the gate for you...this happens in Singapore for example bacuase security screening has always been at the gate lounges in SIN, therefore they would have no duty free industry left otherwise!

Just to be clear that the Australian regulations forbid you to take your own, purchased after security, liquids onboard the aircraft it goes on to say:

Passengers flying to Australia should be aware of the following:

Don't have liquids, aerosols or gels in containers larger than 100 millilitres in your possession. You will have to surrender these at the security screening point in order to board your aircraft.

the only liquids, aerosols and gels that are allowed in a passenger's carry-on baggage are:

• liquid, aerosol or gel products supplied to the passenger onboard the aircraft after departure for Australia (e.g. cans of drink supplied in-flight or duty free purchased on board the aircraft).

Edited by bcworld

Rules must have changed since the end of August, when we flew home from LA there was no secondary screening and, as always, we had no issues taking water purchased after security on the plane. We always grab a bottle of water as it's often a long time from boarding the plane to having access to a drink. Will find out if things have really changed when we go to Hawaii next week!

Rules must have changed since the end of August, when we flew home from LA there was no secondary screening and, as always, we had no issues taking water purchased after security on the plane. We always grab a bottle of water as it's often a long time from boarding the plane to having access to a drink. Will find out if things have really changed when we go to Hawaii next week!

These are definitely not new rules...I first became aware that these were Australian regulations at play when I had water confiscated at HKG in Sep 2010.

If it doesn't happen in the US perhaps the LOTFAP simply chooses to ignore Australia's requirements...I don't know, but they certainly exist.

It's an incredibly stupid regulation when you consider that there are no liquid restrictions on Australian domestic flights...clearly domestic flights can't be dangerous...oh wait...!

There has generally been tougher restrictions on taking bottles onto Auss bound flights for some time. HKG, where I travel via several times a year always has screening just before boarding the plane to Auss, but not going the other way ie to London. But the nature of security checks is to be random, levels of paranoia change each day !!, however this doesn't excuse shops etc in transit areas from selling you something they know has a good chance of being confiscated. Best advice I can give is what I do. Take a couple of small empty plastic bottles with me, and get the cabin crew to fill them for me. Fairly often the crew have actually given me a new sealed bottle on the plane to keep, when I say I drink a lot..(water)..it saves them from serving you numerous times in the flight.!!

• 10 years later...
On 01/11/2013 at 23:26, newjez said:

Why do they sell you water bottles in dubai transit and then take it off you when you try and get on the plane? I'm sure they just resell it to the next mug. Next time, I'll take an empty bottle on board with me and fill it from the dispenser.

I fell for it again.  I asked the cashier in the shop if you can take bottles onto the plane these days -“yes of course you are already past security”

Grrrr

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Every flight I've been on, for years now, give you a bottle of water once you've boarded. Then you can keep refilling it throughout the flight. I've not felt the need to buy water en route at all. They're dinky little bottles too - very handy for popping in your bag to go down town. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Quoll said:

Every flight I've been on, for years now, give you a bottle of water once you've boarded. Then you can keep refilling it throughout the flight. I've not felt the need to buy water en route at all. They're dinky little bottles too - very handy for popping in your bag to go down town. 

Their dinky bottles of Shiraz are very nice too. 

• Like 3