McMansions

fifi69

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some beautiful houses around.We watch the property programmes on Sky and some of the houses they feature are to die for.Unfortuantly they are out of the price range of most people who come out to Aus, unless they have a least a million or want to take on massive loans.

But we can only dream!!!!!!

Oh wow look at my big house...!!! I must of made it now..!! Yawn

Speaks volumes.............not about the house owners either. A lot can be read into the way you think about this subject. Why can't you accept that some folk simply like Mcmansions and don't commit their hard earned money to them just to show off...............

I love them too. In Mandurah there are loads on the canals and at Christmas you can do a Christmas lights cruise because they all go mad with the decorations . My favourite one was the house in Surfers Paradise that has a helicopter on the end if the jetti rather than a boat ! I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could afford one.

I think the best looking houses are Queenslander's, I wouldn't particularly like to live in one but they make the streets around me look really nice!

I'm not a fan personally but I always say to OH as we drive up west coast hey, checking them out ' I wouldnt say no if someone gave us one!' Id prefer a timber and glass a frame mcmansion with cathedral ceilings, lots of natural light and woodburner in a forest setting. In fact I'd probably really like your house Kate.

Guest The Pom Queen
There are some beautiful houses around.We watch the property programmes on Sky and some of the houses they feature are to die for.Unfortuantly they are out of the price range of most people who come out to Aus, unless they have a least a million or want to take on massive loans.

But we can only dream!!!!!!

It all depends where. When we first arrived you could buy a beautiful house like that for between $250-$300k. Unfortunately prices have now risen but there are some areas where you could pick one up for $400-$500k

Guest The Pom Queen
Got a ticket in this Cairns house lottery which is drawn today. This would do me nicely. Just waiting for the phone call.

I'm sure its on Canopys Edge like the last one. Although stunning houses I don't compare them to the McMansions of Melbourne where they really are made of a poor quality. Up here because of the cyclone rating you know its a good quality build.

Good luck with the lottery.

Guest The Pom Queen
I think the best looking houses are Queenslander's, I wouldn't particularly like to live in one but they make the streets around me look really nice!

I never liked Queenslanders but have to admit my taste has changed over the years and I love them now.

a5ejasaz.jpg

I don't like the others but this one has character. It reminds me of Frank Lloyd Wrights "Falling Water".

The best things in life aren't things.

I'd describe it as 'pig dog ugly'

Give me a bungalow with a bull nosed verandah anyday.

I love them too. In Mandurah there are loads on the canals and at Christmas you can do a Christmas lights cruise because they all go mad with the decorations . My favourite one was the house in Surfers Paradise that has a helicopter on the end if the jetti rather than a boat ! I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could afford one.

Poser! :wink:

I like some especially with pools around the house like a moat. hey why not if you can afford it.

Some are truly without taste though but i find the nicest ones the ones which are new but built in the old ozzy style with wood veranda etc...

Older houses (more than 20 years) in Perth tend to be dingy, most are rentals to be fair. They build em but you pay most for land and then re build on the same plot 20 years later, apparently a problem with termites and rot which makes them useless for restoration. Some are restored and modernised and look great.

One thing i hate in perth is that the new builds are slotted next to the nice old ones. it kind of degrades the area, they should have planning permission to make them build old style houses in the older areas - Subiaco is one of these areas

Thats what I've realised we need for our next move, a new house in an old style. I hate modern, it just doesnt appeal and feels so lacking in character and warmth which is importnat to me in a home...but have come to realise that our budget just doesn't cover the modernisation that our ( older) but charecterful house needs...new doors and windows ain't cheap...neither is flooring and kitchens.....the newer houses that look old though are often the most sought after...and pricey! Can't win.

O buggr. Almost makes me want 2 be back so I could post a pic of the Tudor style mcMansions I found in Carindale, Brisbane. What were they thinking?

Yeah get a fair few of them in my area around clayfield!

Thought another thread suggested folk out here are simplistic tastes of a non material nature endorsed by most on here. Seems most in actual fact like these Mc Mansions, more ostentatious the better, too big I would suggest for the average needs and un necessary. Afraid besides some built with a degree of individuality and quirkiness, a number are just plan ostentatious with limited appeal in my view.

Especially those built on blocks that squeeze as much Mc Mansion as possible onto a small space. Then there is the cleaning, upkeep and maintenance.

We like our little 70's house.

It has the rooms we need although not the ensuite we want. A little (lot) of paint and effort and it is in great condition.

We have our garden and entertaining deck and room for a veggie patch too.

The best thing is the granny flat at the bottom of the garden, visitors can come over from the uk and have their own space, and keep out of ours!

We can't see the point of a big house on a small block as we have a small family, we would prefer to utilise the space as an outdoor retreat.

Mind you to spruce up the deck has cost over $600 in stain alone. Maybe it could have been a touch smaller!

Archived