McMansions

fifi69

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of these McMansions are so try -hard, cheaply built and tacky. More room than a family ever needs. There's loads around Northern suburbs of Melbourne, relatively cheap and big , crammed onto plots, some with no external space whatsoever. Banged right next to the next property. It looks ridiculous and horrible and i do wonder whether some will end up heavily subdivided into flats and become slums / rental ghettos in the future just like many ostentatious Victorian mansions in London did in the mid 20th century when fortunes declined and the upkeep was too much. god knows what it costs to run some of these places, any repairs required you're looking at large bills too. time will tell.

Guest The Pom Queen
Many of these McMansions are so try -hard, cheaply built and tacky. More room than a family ever needs. There's loads around Northern suburbs of Melbourne, relatively cheap and big , crammed onto plots, some with no external space whatsoever. Banged right next to the next property. It looks ridiculous and horrible and i do wonder whether some will end up heavily subdivided into flats and become slums / rental ghettos in the future just like many ostentatious Victorian mansions in London did in the mid 20th century when fortunes declined and the upkeep was too much. god knows what it costs to run some of these places, any repairs required you're looking at large bills too. time will tell.

Aussies don't want gardens hence why they build a larger house. The plots aren't all small most on our estate were on 1600 plots but even we struggled with the garden. Even the smaller plots are ample and a lot larger than what you would have in a terrace house in the UK. I do agree though that in Melbourne they are made on the cheap.

I find the insides very interesting. Personally I've never seen the need to have Roman or Greek style columns in my hallway. I hate magnolia - but some of the colour schemes are very lively - to the point of being psychedelic. But I guess at least they go with the bright orange sofas. The thing is - I've lived in Oz most of my life, and I've never known people who would decorate in such a grandiose style. Who are these people?

Yep agree. All too many are cheap looking and tacky and un necessary. As noted the cost to maintain such piles can be a lot.

Guest guest30085

A family member used to have a MacMansion down at Hilary's/sorrento area, it was impressive, I quite like some of them, but I wouldn't be bothered for one - unless I could afford to hire an army of cleaners :yes:.

If I could afford a house like that, it would mean financially I would be well off ... so why would I waste my leisure time cleaning the MacMansion :confused::laugh:

Ive seen the house I want to buy and it's a one level 1910 Federation house down in Fremantle that has been renovated inside with wood flooring and white walls but still has original fireplaces, original stained glass windows in the doorway and a white picket fence :wubclub::wubclub:

All I need is a visa and a large sum of money ..... but I won't let those small matters get in my way ...:wink:

There is a new one a couple of hundre meters down the road. Vile thing. They have covered it in multi coloured stone cladding - just like the Duckworths in Corrie. I always call it the Duckworth house now.

One that was built opposite was just thrown together. The brick work was so bad there were holes in the walls that you could get a fist through. Owner never realised as they filled them in with newspaper and rendered it. I think its structural and longevity are pretty slight. Must have cost $2 mill as well.

Guest Ptp113
I find the insides very interesting. Personally I've never seen the need to have Roman or Greek style columns in my hallway. I hate magnolia - but some of the colour schemes are very lively - to the point of being psychedelic. But I guess at least they go with the bright orange sofas. The thing is - I've lived in Oz most of my life, and I've never known people who would decorate in such a grandiose style. Who are these people?

You know very well who they are....................

Guest Guest16631

.....I like the duckworths house.........

......my ideal home would be a terraced with a long garden........!

We bought a terrace in Greaseboro , SY. Brill house 1800 front , stairs you need climbing gear to get up , 5 meters out of back door to pub , I'm welling up now lol, 200 mt to the dams and Wentworth Park with Wentworth Woodhouse stately home

Guest Guest16631

......our first house was a terrace.....

.......just didn't have the long garden.....

.......loved that house.......

my best memories of my first home as an adult where I spent 8 happy years was in a mid terrace, teeny tiny strip of slabs as a garden..many a happy summer eve bbqing on a teeny cast iron bbq with the oh! Its not where you live...its who youre with! I was very happy there...dodgy neighbours...salt of the earth neighbours...galley kitchen..one at a time please...painted the downstairs myself...took a lot of pride in my first home!

The brick work was so bad there were holes in the walls that you could get a fist through.

I once had a (fairly) newly arrived Pom bricky visit us for advice about the area. He'd been here 7 weeks and did nothing but moan about prices, weather, and building standards. He even pointed out how shoddy my place was with all those holes between the bricks...............................errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm???..............................they're weep holes mate................................no wonder he couldn't find work.

I once had a (fairly) newly arrived Pom bricky visit us for advice about the area. He'd been here 7 weeks and did nothing but moan about prices, weather, and building standards. He even pointed out how shoddy my place was with all those holes between the bricks...............................errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm???..............................they're weep holes mate................................no wonder he couldn't find work.

Yeah but many from Europe sat the same thing.

Are they there to let the snakes in? Seriously though - Can't they use air bricks for this? I recently had a rat infestation though a hole such as this.

Archived