Need somewhere to stay - urgent

DisillusionedScot

In regards to the HR licence - we told you this the last time. Nobody is going to hire you without one, its just the way it is. Its the same here, its even difficult to get someone to take you on without experience sometimes.

Im sorry to hear about centrelink, thats crappy :(

Please take fifi's offer of a bed for you and your dog. I know its hard to accept help sometimes but people on here are so kind. You'll get back onto your feet eventually, i promise

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a lovely lot of posters there are on here! Alan must do his bit too though- accept help when needed and go to Centrelink and explain the situation. As a PR he is entitled to that. Alan please do not wallow- you will feel better for doing something even if it is just accepting help offered! Have you tried the Salvation Army? They are pretty good in a situation like yours and at least they might be able to tide you over until you get back on your feet. Do you have no income whatsoever? How did you manage before?

Hi, thanks for you comment, appreciated. I have tried Centrelink but to no avail I get nothing because I haven't been here long enough. There's a two year waiting period and I won't get anything until next January. Personally, I'd rather have a job and be able to live something of a decent life than be on benefits.

As for my income, no, nothing at all. All my savings have gone on rent and bills. I've been paying for eveything out of my savings thinking i would get a job before things got to this stage, but it hasn't happened.

I can't even afford to go into a homeless shelter - Kwinana wants $20 a night which I just don't have. I know what the solution to all this is, it's a job. I've known that all along, but if it really were that easy to get a job that would pay enough to even just pay rent, I wouldn't be spending time with Centrelink.

I guess I should say my depression doesn't make it any easier to find or keep work. But it doesn't stop me trying.

I've failed. I've failed at my relationship and I've failed at looking after Max. I've even failed at looking after myself. And I know there are folk out there who take the view that I should stand up for myself, give myself a shake and so on, and to an extent, those folk have a point, but it really isn't that easy. Had it not been for having tried everything I can think of I'd perhaps even be saying the same things myself. Th problem is, I have tried everything I can think of.

Guest Guest26012
Hi, thanks for you comment, appreciated. I have tried Centrelink but to no avail I get nothing because I haven't been here long enough. There's a two year waiting period and I won't get anything until next January. Personally, I'd rather have a job and be able to live something of a decent life than be on benefits.

As for my income, no, nothing at all. All my savings have gone on rent and bills. I've been paying for eveything out of my savings thinking i would get a job before things got to this stage, but it hasn't happened.

I can't even afford to go into a homeless shelter - Kwinana wants $20 a night which I just don't have. I know what the solution to all this is, it's a job. I've known that all along, but if it really were that easy to get a job that would pay enough to even just pay rent, I wouldn't be spending time with Centrelink.

I guess I should say my depression doesn't make it any easier to find or keep work. But it doesn't stop me trying.

I've failed. I've failed at my relationship and I've failed at looking after Max. I've even failed at looking after myself. And I know there are folk out there who take the view that I should stand up for myself, give myself a shake and so on, and to an extent, those folk have a point, but it really isn't that easy. Had it not been for having tried everything I can think of I'd perhaps even be saying the same things myself. Th problem is, I have tried everything I can think of.

Hi again, I've had this conversation with you before Alan! What happened with the flight back to the uk? Are you being treated for depression? It doesn't seem that you are any further forward from when I last spoke to you months ago? I'm not trying to be harsh at all but at some point you're going to have to help yourself, if you can! Have you been in contact with councellors etc since we spoke? You have had some good advice and offers on here so take them up. Good luck!

Hi again, I've had this conversation with you before Alan! What happened with the flight back to the uk? Are you being treated for depression? It doesn't seem that you are any further forward from when I last spoke to you months ago? I'm not trying to be harsh at all but at some point you're going to have to help yourself, if you can! Have you been in contact with councellors etc since we spoke? You have had some good advice and offers on here so take them up. Good luck!

hi, I've PMd you with an update ;-)

Just to say folks, I've been in touch with FiFi and I'm just trying to find the words to say to work something out. I just want folk to know that I have been in touch with some incredibly kind folk on the forum and if I haven't replied personally it's just because today has been long and really tiring and I will reply personally to everyone.

Thanks guys. :-)

Guest JK2510

Hi Scott....I'm very sorry for the situation you are in....there have been some lovely people offering food and a roof over your head.....have you had stormy organise some shopping? Fifi has offered you a room...have you taken her up on the offer....

Hi Scott....I'm very sorry for the situation you are in....there have been some lovely people offering food and a roof over your head.....have you had stormy organise some shopping? Fifi has offered you a room...have you taken her up on the offer....

Hi JK, I did take stormy up on his unbelievably kind offer. One day i want to pay him and everyone else back ten fold for their kindness. I'm just trying to work out in my head what to say to FiFi. I'm nervous about being with other folk, I've spent the last twenty years with just me and my partner, I don't know how to be in a family in all seriousness.

I hope you sort something out Alan, doesnt seem much we can do here that will be lasting, just a quick fix in terms of immediate help. If I were in your shoes Id first get myself off to the GP for advice and a possible referral for some counselling ( free under medicare for a certain number of sessions). For all I know you could be involved in something similar already...there are heaps of organisations and shelters around , not ideal but a place to go if things hit rock bottom and you have no choice..too cold for the streets in Perth. Maybe you need to let someone take care of Max for you while you get organised if needs be? I would be happy to help in this way, we have a dog so he wouldnt be lonely and we are animal lovers and would treat him with kindness. Next I would keep knocking on doors, apply for anything and everything, have you tried agencies? It can be ad hoc but they should be able to offer odd days...if you need an address I'm sure someone on here would let you use theirs for correspondence. Join a library..access to free internet for job hunting etc...

There is light at the end of the tunnel but you must keep battling. If theres anything I can do please dont hesitate to contact me

Fiona

Hi JK, I did take stormy up on his unbelievably kind offer. One day i want to pay him and everyone else back ten fold for their kindness. I'm just trying to work out in my head what to say to FiFi. I'm nervous about being with other folk, I've spent the last twenty years with just me and my partner, I don't know how to be in a family in all seriousness.

:hug: You'll be fine .... Fi Fi is a wonderful and kind person, I am sure you will get along very well .... just be yourself x x

And the offer of some shopping still stands if you need it, don't feel pressurised either way, I fully understand how you must be feeling right now, take care, give your dog a hug from me ... LS x x

Sorry to hear of your situation - if you need a sympathetic ear with possible new alternatives don't forget Lifeline 131114. Sometimes there are no magic answers but just a help to alternative thinking can make a difference. You've had some amazing help on here! Onwards and upwards!

Guest Ptp113
Eh, how could it be worse? I think I should clear a few points up just so there's no misunderstanding. My other half left me and took all our savings. I had three weeks with no money at all before she finally gave me some money back. I now have zero contact with her, don't even know where she's staying or even have a phone number for her. That was in February. I have tried for many, many jobs without success, as recently as yesterday I tried to get a job driving a bus only to be told they now only hire people with a HR license. My lease is up on the 26th July, I have nowhere to go and no money left to pay for a place to stay. I will not be separated from my dog.

Centrelink: May - 1.5 hours in the Mandurah office in Tuckey St only to be told I was entitled to - nothing. not a cent.

Today: Arrived at Centrelink at 11:20. Left Centrelink at 3:45. Result? Nothing.

I have been told to apply for something called 'Special Benefits', but their opinion is I won't get it because it appears not to be payable to 176 Permanent Residents such as myself. There is also a processing time of 16 days. That's 16 days with no money and were it not for the extraordinary kindness of people on this forum that would be 16 days without food, or resorting to begging. Literally.

So, being told to 'focus on what I do have', maybe you could tell me what that is because all I can see (other than the extreme kindness of the people here), is well, not much. I don't even have my health anymore.

One last thing: homeless shelters: a) I can't go with Max and b) they charge here. It's $20 a night for the shelter in Kwinana. I don't have that. Of-course they can take it off your benefits..but I don't get benefits.

Do you have any idea how many hours I've spent crying today. I've been in tears since 10am this morning.

Having said all that, you've told me what you think I should do and I'm happy to try anything, so, maybe you could expand on what you've said and tell me what I should be focusing on and how to stop this 'never ending thread of misfortune'. I'm absolutely open to any reasonable suggestion.

If partner 'took' all the savings that could be theft yes? Are you eligible for legal aid?

So sorry for what you are going through DS. Sometimes when we fall very low it is very hard to see things clearly even when people are offering ideas and solutions. There are so many kind people here I am so touched by what I have read on this thread.

It sounds like you have spent a lot of time alone lately with just Max and your thoughts. The company of staying with a fifi's family would really do you good. When you are thinking a little clearer you will be able to come up with a plan to get out of your situation. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who can help you with how to diversify and expand the skills you already have towards some paid work.

When I first arrived and was applying for jobs the justice of the peace in the shopping centre advised me to get volunteering. She said it was the best way to get known and put the word out that you are looking for work, whilst also showing that you are ready and willing. There will be other options as well.

I know it is hard because so much has gone wrong but there is only one way to go from here. Try and clear your head of what has been lost up to now and the good people here will try to help you make a plan.

I think there is an old saying. It's about how we get up after we have fallen down.

:hug:

Millie x

Alan, I've only just seen this thread and am so sorry to hear of your situation. I've been homeless so know what you're going through. I've also had trouble fitting in with other folk so.............Mate, you're having no joy with jobs there, if you can find the means to get you and the dog to brizzy, I'll put you up for as long as it needs for you to find your feet here...................maybe a better chance of work? Try and clear your head of the negatives and look forward. In particular, (and I know how hard this can be) accept the help that others offer even if your "social skills" ain't up to scratch, anything has to be better than what you are goin through now. You'll be welcome in our home and can have your "own space" with your dog, if that's what you want.

kev

Edited by Johndoe

Went to bed but couldn't sleep for thinking of a way for you, out of your predicament. One thing crossed my mind.................if you lose the rental, you need a forwarding address/bank for you to claim the bond back...............at least you'll have a small bit of cash to tide you over for a short while.

Killing someone with kindness...sometimes people need to hear how it really is...I don't believe I said anything not 'nice', it is what it is..

Of course people need to take responsibly for their own life's I agree, but surely a helping hand, a bit of breathing space, time to gather their thoughts is a start.

hi alan, i dont know if i can be much help but thought i would offer a few suggestions. i am not sure what the area is like that you live in, would it not be possible to find any work in a pub/bar, or even cafe/resturant/hotel? just thinking for that type of job you probs wouldnt need any prior experience, and at least it would be some cash for you. is there no friends that you could stay with for a little while til you get back on your feet? or maybe another option if your house/apartment is a 2 bed place, you could flat share, at least that way there would be someone to help you with the rent. as i say just a few suggestions. hope something turns up for you, good luck to you and your dog. jess x

DS. Can you not post something on Perth Poms. Maybe someone there can help you out with a job. Only suggesting it as the people on this forum, as lovely as they are, are from all over australia whilst the people on Perth Poms are closer to you.. You could post something there too. Maybe you'll catch a break xx

Debs

you send him some money then.?

Sorry, maybe i misread the posts. I didn't hear him asking for money. I wouldn't send money to any1 that i didn't know personally. Also having children, i wouldn't invite any1 into my house....But if sending someone some supernoodles & dogmeat were to be my biggest loss, then guess what?? I could swallow that....If he is in the same situation later on and has declined the help that has been offered then maybe we do have the right to judge....but until then lets be as supportive as we can or move on to another post that we ARE interested in....

Alan, you have had some great offers of help and some really good advice off of members on here.

It is extremely hard when you feel in a state of total and utter despair, but I feel you really do need to try and help yourself here

Theres no logical way you can stay in Aus, in this mess

You are going to get your bond back, and my advice to you would be book your ticket home with that money

I know you have your dog, and you want to keep him with you, but you may only be able to afford a ticket for yourself

Are there any friends or relatives back home, who could lend you the money to fly your dog home?

Even if you can leave your Dog with RSPCA, until you get home and get the money together to fly him back.I think someone previously posted that the RSPCA will look after him free of charge, for you, because of your situation

Edited by Sapphire

Ask your GP for a referral to Ruah they are mental health related http://www.ruah.com.au/

Community First assist people who have MH difficulties in finding work and have offices around Perth. http://www.cfi.net.au/

Are you already tied into MH services were you live/attached to the community clinic? - Go and see your case manager

Homeless Advisory Service (24 hrs) 1800 065 892

Crisis Care (24 hrs) 9223 1111

you have had so much help offered to you I can't understand why you underestimate that help or see it as almost nothing...it's a bit of a kick In the teeth to those trying to help you...take all the help you can get, anything, even accepting it just to cheer someone else up who will feel good for doing a good deed. I know how debilitating mental illness .

I don't think you do actually. A refusal of help shouldn't be viewed as a "kick in the teeth". Sometimes those in need of help, are so "low" that they don't know how to accept. Sometimes they refuse because they don't feel 'worthy", some times they refuse because they are in such despair that they (subconsciously) think that it will not affect the eventual outcomes, and other times, they refuse because thay are frightened of placing themselves in a situation whereby they have to "deal" with other people. Allen has clearly stated that he is not used to 'family situations' so I think that those who seem to be in the "boot up the arse" brigade, back off.

• Like 1