Need somewhere to stay - urgent

DisillusionedScot

Hi there guys, not been on here for a while, been too much going on. I'm not going to go into a long story suffice to say I'm in Mandurah, can't get work, I'm now on my own with my dog and my lease expires on the 26th July. All my savings are gone.

I'm *literally* facing having to live on the streets. Having been homeless before 30 years ago I've no intention of giving up my dog that we brought over from Scotland to go and live in a place with drug addicts and alcoholics (apologies if you're a drug user or alcohol but you know what I mean I guess).

Things are well, critical. I'm facing losing all my possessions, everything. The ex took almost all the money and what was left has been used up for rent. I can't get benefits because I haven't been here for two years.

If anyone has *any* ideas as to how to get out of this situation please, please let me know. Utterly desperate.

Many thanks in advance.

Alan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are not working, and leaving anyway, could you maybe travel to some of the fruit picking areas. Treat it sort of like a year out, and give yourself a chance to re-find 'you' again. If you have a car and a tent, take the dog and drive. That's what I'd do in your position.

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Alan lovely to hear from you :hug:

Alan I'm so sorry to hear your dilemma. The RSPCA and AWL have a service where they will board your dog free of charge until you get back on your feet.

I know you don't want to head back in to a shelter but it may help you get back on your feet look at these links http://www.homelessnessaustralia.org.au/index.php/about-homelessness/are-you-homeless

Also another option is managing an outback hotel you get free accommodation and a wage.

Another option is the house sitting I know plenty of people who go around doing this, no wage though but free accommodation

WA - Mandurah??? Not sure where that is but i'd leave there too if theres no work and head to mines or elsewhere to make some serious money quickly. You dont say how old you are or what type of work you do. But i'd take any work anywhere to gradually get back on your feet. As for your stuff - Do you know anyone who could store it for a few months while you're away? If possessions are tying you to a town you can't stay in, then sell some of it to give you money to travel. Dont be sentimental at a time like this. We've been here nearly 14 years and have next to nothing that we brought from UK. Things are replaceable.

WA - Mandurah??? Not sure where that is but i'd leave there too if theres no work and head to mines or elsewhere to make some serious money quickly. You dont say how old you are or what type of work you do. But i'd take any work anywhere to gradually get back on your feet. As for your stuff - Do you know anyone who could store it for a few months while you're away? If possessions are tying you to a town you can't stay in, then sell some of it to give you money to travel. Dont be sentimental at a time like this. We've been here nearly 14 years and have next to nothing that we brought from UK. Things are replaceable.
Sorry but you cant just rock up to a mine site and ask for a job????

OP hope you get sorted out quickly

Guest guest30085

I'm so sorry to hear of your current situation :hug:

I wish I was in a position to help but I'm not over there.

As above, do you at least have a vehicle and some means of putting fuel in? I would apply for any and every job going, even fruit picking etc, sell any possessions you can which aren't necessary and at least you can feed yourself and get some fuel or means of travel. Are you due a bond back also from the rental (I really hope this isn't one time the estate agents start being idiots as seems to happen so often).

I really wish you some good luck, even if someone has a sleep out you could stay in temporarily, it would at least give you a roof over your heads.

Edited by guest30085

Hi guys, no, not got a car, the ex took it with her. And...my motorbike blew up yesterday. Completely dead, was stranded on the freeway for ages. So, got no transport to get anywhere. I'm 47 and I'm too long in the tooth for this kind of lark. I took my dog for a walk tonight 'round some of the industrial areas just to see if there was anywhere with cardboard I could sleep in, doesn't look too promising. My dog is 10 now and the separation anxiety will be the end of him. Not sure how long I could actually survive sleeping rough, it's cold now and I mean what do the homeless do for food?

I'm on meds for high blood pressure and arthritis, don't know what on earth I'm going to do when I can't pay for them!

Anyway, if anyone does know of somewhere Max and me can go please do let me know.

Cheers guys.

Alan

So sorry that you have found yourself in this position.

You say that the lease on your current place ends on the 26th. That at least gives you some time to work out what you are going to do. I think that you need to apply for every job that you can. Whether it is at Woolies stacking shelves, cleaning toilets or whatever, just apply. Don't be proud, and don't wait for the perfect job in whatever career that you trained for. Many of us have been there, and the best thing that you can do is to do anything you can.

Have you looked in to whether you are entitled to any financial help or guidance from the government at all? Claiming benefits, whilst you still have an address will be far easier than if you don't.

Hi alan

Glad to see your back, was worried about you after last time. I take it you didnt get to do your driving licence last time?

Sorry i cant help you from over here but the other guys have gave you some good advice and you never know once the australian members on here wake up again there might be someone who could let you kip on a couch somewhere for a while.

Try not worry about your dog too much, im sure it wont be too anxious. Mines have been moved around a lot the last few years and they seem fine

Try the helpX website or woofers.People look for workers who can help around their properties.It could be anything from painting and dec,gardening,feeding animals.You agree to work 5 days per week for 5 hrs(max)per day,and in exchange they offer a bed and 3 meals per day.People advertise for anything length of time from a week to 6 mths!Not sure about your dog hon.You may be able to take it with you,depending on the people you stay with.Some even offer to pick you up!Best of luck and I really hope something comes your way.xx

Also, there is a food shelter place in the centre of mandurah. It is near woolworths. They will be able to give you a hot meal and hve a lot of connections for places to stay. They have a sign on the pavement at the road junction.

Many thanks, I will try that. I've got just enough money left to pay the next two weeks rent then I'm down to begging.

Get to centre link as well. They will have contact details for charities that can help out in an emergency.

Hi, I've been to Centrelink and they said basically that I would get nothing because I haven't been in the country for two years. A few days later I got a letter from them saying I was entitled to benefits - starting in January 2014. Centrelink isn't a pleasant experience :-(