Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

It's actually in Sydney I think, have not heard in 49 years in Melbourne- it is an old fashioned NSW name for a suitcase. it is a shortening of Portmanteau - so now you know....

When I started school in NSW I had a "port" for school.

When I moved to Tasmania the same thing was called a "case".

But that was in the olden days - before school backpacks. :cute:

As someone who is arriving in 2 weeks, this thread is great! Keep 'em coming :biggrin:

In two weeks time they say the weather is going to turn and will rain non stop for Eight weeks all over Australia !:sad:oh well ,like the Brits always say "we needed that rain"

Guest The Pom Queen

If you ask for a raincheck its nothing to do with the weather and I'm still not 100% myself but afaik if say Target have a sale and they have a duvet at 50% off but by the time you get there they have sold out you can ask for a raincheck which means as soon as they have them back in stock they will honour the 50% discount. If this is wrong please correct me, I've never used it so not 101%

If you take a gamble and walk out into the road to cross without being at a crossing and with a green man, it's technically jay walking and if you get caught you can get a fine!

Not here....so perhaps the thing "people need to know about Australia" is that many (most) laws are set by the state, not by the commonwealth. Driving rules especially so, and states also differ in terms of their enforcement policies. So be careful when it comes to laws of assuming that what gives in, say, NT, applies similarly in TAS. It may well not

Not here....so perhaps the thing "people need to know about Australia" is that many (most) laws are set by the state, not by the commonwealth. Driving rules especially so, and states also differ in terms of their enforcement policies. So be careful when it comes to laws of assuming that what gives in, say, NT, applies similarly in TAS. It may well not

Fair point.

Pedestrian crossings sound like you're counting down to a race, and you feel as if you have to walk really fast when the green man shows, as the bleeps are so manic!......... Great fun!

Found a clip of one on YouTube, so will try to put a link below...... :biggrin:

Great thread, when we were on holiday visiting family, they had to tell me to stop packing the shopping into bags at the supermarket, the checkout lady was not amused with me. Having to stop to give way to pedestrians when you get a green filter light to turn left meant I nearly mowed down a few people, then when walking it feels like you should not be crossing. Everyone seemed to get very excited about Bunnings stores, Dan Murphys was great tho. Paul

If you ask for a raincheck its nothing to do with the weather and I'm still not 100% myself but afaik if say Target have a sale and they have a duvet at 50% off but by the time you get there they have sold out you can ask for a raincheck which means as soon as they have them back in stock they will honour the 50% discount. If this is wrong please correct me, I've never used it so not 101%

i always wondered what this meant!! V educational thread!

There has been a law in Wales enforced by the government to charge 5p ber bag within the last year or so. It's a pain in the bum lol, especially when shopping in tesco lol.

Never paid for a Carrier bag in tesco or other supermarket but have noticed shops like wh smith and TK maxx charge

Edited by munchbaby99