Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

• 3 weeks later...
A pencil is a grey lead....I think? And English football is soccer....but my oh insists on still calling it football when we're at home -so we have bizarre conversations where neither of us know exactly what we're talking about as I sometimes call it soccer out of habit from making myself understood around Australian colleagues and clients at work during the day!

Football was actually called Soccer at first in the UK and was changed when us lower class citizens in the UK started to watch it

Avo...Avacado

Servo..Petrol Station

Reno...Renovation/Renovating

Macca's....Mc Donald's fast food

All sweets are called Lollies :chatterbox: wether it's has a stick or not! :no:

Ice Lollies....Icy Pole....again with or without a stick!

And as some one else mentioned , make sure you park facing the way your driving, I was caught out by this lol until some kind lady said if I new I was parking illegally :embarrassed:

Its funny to watch TV and the presenters/news reader seem to use all these shortened slang words also...takes some getting used to. I'm not into these sorts of shortened slang type word, in the UK or here so I say it as it is....the whole word lol :biggrin:

And yet you have to do IELTS ha ha makes me chuckle

Guest hoffer

My biggest lesson so far.

What ever you do dont eat at a Hogs Breath and then when you leave disappointed having spent more than you would have in most other mid level restaurants and vow never to go back in there again remember the last time you went. Dont do what i did and give it one more try as just because its in a different city does not improve the food.

I would now rather not eat than eat the shite they serve up as food

What ever you do dont eat at a Hogs Breath and then when you leave disappointed having spent more than you would have in most other mid level restaurants and vow never to go back in there again remember the last time you went. Dont do what i did and give it one more try as just because its in a different city does not improve the food.

never eaten there, does the same apply to sizzler?

Undertaking is not legal. It's just that everyone does it.

I checked this out after getting a load of abusive hand gestures (from a Sheila !) for moving over to let her pass safely on the outside when I saw her approaching at speed.

On the QLD highways website it states that undertaking is illegal unless two lanes are slow moving traffic (same as UK).

Having said that, even the police undertake !

I'm not sure what law you refer to...undertaking is legal if a road has marked lanes?

Assuming I've guessed the circumstances accurately, if she was approaching in a lane to the left of you at speed you shouldn't change left in front of her (depending on how far back she was and her speed of course).

Edited by fish.01

You should see the mega yacht the bloke owns. It was based at Airlie Beach Marine (Abel Point)

So, someone is still throwing good money his way.

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Using the third person singular instead of the plural to describe sports teams..

Liverpool has beat Tottenham instead of have for example.

Pronouncing debut as dayboo.

Both drive me crazy when watching sport on telly.

Another is correcting the pronunciation of English place names and telling me that I am wrong, despite growing up and living there before coming to Australia! I know how to say Launceston, Devonport, Ascot and Exmouth properly!...and Maroon!

Using the third person singular instead of the plural to describe sports teams..

Liverpool has beat Tottenham instead of have for example.

This is grammatically correct.

Liverpool (Football Club) is singular, therefore the singular verb is correct.

Pronouncing debut as dayboo.

This is also correct. The word is French and has an accent aigu (accute accent) over the "e" which changes it to the "ay" sound.