Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

When Australia is beaten in any sport, but particularly if it's by England, a resounding silence will follow at work.

To be fair, there was much silence in my office recently - by the Brits. As opposed to the summer (UK) when I was constantly being harassed by Brits about the cricket. It goes both ways... just saying :)

Don't buy black vehicles

I'll say. It's a fashion now, but when my other half and I holidayed in Perth a few years back we hired a car and were given a black one. I left my Birkenstocks in the back for a couple of hours (in 35 degree heat) and the soles melted! Black anything is bad in heat, but cars are the worst!

A nursery is day care. When looking for a job when we first arrived I wrote on my resume that I had been a manager of a nursery and was getting no replies. I found out in Queensland it is a director and daycare. As soon as changed it to the right terminology over here I got replies!

When Australia is beaten in any sport, but particularly if it's by England, a resounding silence will follow at work.

Much in the same way that when we didn't win the Ashes for 18 years, coverage was quietly moved from BBC2 to Channel 4 and then to Sky... The public and MP outcry only came in 2005, after we won them again....

A HOOVER............is a vacuum

A GARAGE.........is a Garaaage

A GARDEN........is a Yard

LEGGINGS............are Tights

TIGHTS.......are Stockings

THONGS..........are Flip Flops

SETTEES............are Lounges

VITAMINS..............are Viiitamins

AMENITIES.............are AmENaties

I could go on.....................:)

Going through the Skills Assessment at the moment, but just back last week from a couple of weeks in Melbourne. I can recognise so many things here from my time in Aus, or from the chats my girlfriend and I have had. Things not mentioned so far that amuse me and my Aussie girlfriend are:

Chip shops - you can't buy a pie. Why? Because it's a fish and chip shop, not a pie shop apparantly. Still not happy about that.

The chase - It's a chaisse longue. Or in Aussie, a chase lounge.

Bikies - motorcycle riders

Tradies - any trades person

There are tons of these 'ies' and 'os'

Along with jay walking, I don't think you can start crossing if the green man has turned red and is flashing.

You'll very often be asked if you want a receipt after a purchase, sometimes they say doco, sometimes receipt but usually quickly so expect it And you won't have the awkward exchange lol

One thing I've not seen in England, there are non smoking sections of open street in Adelaide and Sydney, maybe other places signalled by signs on the pavements and bins but not always easy to spot. And not that you would, but some streets and public areas are no drinking. You also can't smoke on any covered public transport stand/station and a bus driver in Sydney said it's an offence to smoke within x meters of a bus stop (it was just a stop, no shelter) though there are bins next to most so I don't know how true this is.

Most bins and some signposts have butt bins for cigs but they are often smouldering so put out first!

Finally for smokers, pack sizes are different. 25s is the norm, cheaper ones are 26s and you can buy double packs or large 50+ packs. 20s are available but more expensive. Prices vary wildly but supermarkets will be average.

Putting your feet on the seats on public transport is fineable and they will really tell you off and enforce this (at least in Melbourne where I saw it a few times)

Prices, even is supermarkets can vary wildly day to day. Lemons for instance rose from $1 to $2 in a day at the same store. There can also be huge discrepancies store to store, ie bunch of kale $4.99 in Coles, $1.99 at Harris farms and the grocers. If you see a good price, buy it then. Smaller shops i.e grocer, butcher etc can often be cheaper than the supermarket in my experience.

if you buy bottles water do so at the supermarket, for 90c or so vs $4 for the same in a newsagents

Edited by Britpop

No postal deliveries on a Saturday

JP's have a desk in the shopping centres for a couple of hours 2 days a week and all services free......costs a small fortune in UK

Cops keen on RBT's any time any where.......

If you're overcharged for an item in Coles they will give you your money back plus the item for free.......

JP service fore free?? You just saved me £60 in notary fees...may as well wait till we're out in Sydney and have it done for free.

Thank you very much

Bikies - motorcycle riders

Tradies - any trades person

There are tons of these 'ies' and 'os'

Along with jay walking, I don't think you can start crossing if the green man has turned red and is flashing.

You'll very often be asked if you want a receipt after a purchase, sometimes they say doco, sometimes receipt but usually quickly so expect it And you won't have the awkward exchange lol

One thing I've not seen in England, there are non smoking sections of open street in Adelaide and Sydney, maybe other places signalled by signs on the pavements and bins but not always easy to spot. And not that you would, but some streets and public areas are no drinking. You also can't smoke on any covered public transport stand/station and a bus driver in Sydney said it's an offence to smoke within x meters of a bus stop (it was just a stop, no shelter) though there are bins next to most so I don't know how true this is.

Most bins and some signposts have butt bins for cigs but they are often smouldering so put out first!

Finally for smokers, pack sizes are different. 25s is the norm, cheaper ones are 26s and you can buy double packs or large 50+ packs. 20s are available but more expensive. Prices vary wildly but supermarkets will be average.

Putting your feet on the seats on public transport is fineable and they will really tell you off and enforce this (at least in Melbourne where I saw it a few times)

Prices, even is supermarkets can vary wildly day to day. Lemons for instance rose from $1 to $2 in a day at the same store. There can also be huge discrepancies store to store, ie bunch of kale $4.99 in Coles, $1.99 at Harris farms and the grocers. If you see a good price, buy it then. Smaller shops i.e grocer, butcher etc can often be cheaper than the supermarket in my experience.

if you buy bottles water do so at the supermarket, for 90c or so vs $4 for the same in a newsagents

Oops, now you've done it, you've mentioned the price of lemons!

Chip shops - you can't buy a pie. Why? Because it's a fish and chip shop, not a pie shop apparantly. Still not happy about that.

The chase - It's a chaisse longue. Or in Aussie, a chase lounge.

This must be one of those state/regional differences because pies are available in fish and chip shops here.

It would come down to equipment I presume.

A fish and chip shop has deep friers and hot plates, thus fried seafood (the occasional fried fruit or confectionary too), chips and grilled burgers.

A pie would require baking in an oven. An oven is common equipment at a bakery, thus, that is where you will find your pie.

Most shopping strips would have these two shops within 100 metres of each other anyway....

And "bikies"! No...they're not just any motorcycle rider. :no: There was a whole thread on PIO re the difference between "bikies" and "bikers" in Oz.

It's not interested enough to search for it!

However by the time we reach 38 degrees today, I may be bored enough to.

• 3 weeks later...