Living in Australia - What you need to know

Guest The Pom Queen

Remember on our first visit, my cousin asked me to get the 'Eski' out the garage, I didn't have a clue...Cool box!!! I guess its Eski as in eskimo Box?

I noticed my OH had put Esky on our packing inventory (we're moving back) and I quizzed him on it - he had actually forgotten what they are called in the UK.

A vest is a singlet,

off licence is a bottle'o

doona is a bed quilt/cover

crock-pot is a slow cooker

glad wrap is cling film

docket is receipt.

restaurants can be BYO..bring your own (alcohol) got caught out by that one night...dry night!

My wife went to a shop asking for a pin as her skirt had started to tear whilst she was out...the shop assistant took her to the stationary section....thinking she was from New Zealand!

We move out there in 7 weeks after living there for a year in 2008 and we cant wait!

• Like 1

Chickens are chooks.

Not all eggs are free-range

Not all tuna is 'dolphin friendly' (since that's all that available in the major supermarkets in the UK it caught me out)

Tipping is not customary ( and bar staff, waitress etc get paid very well)

Wogs are from Italy, Greece etc. and it isn't nearly as offensive as in the UK - there is an Australian movie called the Wog Boy (& 2)

Coon is a brand of cheese

Durex is sticky tape

Important for parents - there is no Calpol - Panadol for children is the same - phew :)

Chickens are chooks.

Not all eggs are free-range

Not all tuna is 'dolphin friendly' (since that's all that available in the major supermarkets in the UK it caught me out)

Tipping is not customary ( and bar staff, waitress etc get paid very well)

Wogs are from Italy, Greece etc. and it isn't nearly as offensive as in the UK - there is an Australian movie called the Wog Boy (& 2)

Coon is a brand of cheese

Durex is sticky tape

Important for parents - there is no Calpol - Panadol for children is the same - phew :)

:chatterbox:

:elvis::swoon:

For real or just kidding ????? http://www.durexusa.com/?gclid=CKu42b_33rcCFRDl7AodRVwAjw&gclsrc=aw.ds

A lake/pond is a "dam" whether it had a dam on it or not.

A stream is a creek

"bream" (as in fish) is pronounced "brim"

An aluminium boat is a 'tinny" as is a can of beer.

methylated spirits are "metho" and have innumerable uses from hardening corns and skin prior to removing, to dabbing on ticks to get 'em to drop off, to adding to home brew (depending on culture and not advisable)

"bangaroo" is a marathon sex session

"buckleys" means "no chance"

"goon" box of wine

"woop woop" middle of nowhere..............generally out bush.

If you pay with a card, you'll be asked "cheque, savings or credit" which means, which of the (up to 3) accounts associated with this card would you like the money to come out of?

In this context, "cheque" doesn't mean cheque, "savings" doesn't mean savings and "credit" doesn't mean credit.

Trainers are called runners, and wellies are called gumboots.... I'm a Podiatrist so these were need to know essentials! And don't bother trying to explain to a client that they're due their Diabetes foot 'MOT' they will nod and smile but won't tell you they don't have a clue what the new Pommy Pod is going on about! Lol!

• Like 1

Money (purchases) is rounded up or down, Copper coins arent used here.

Chips are crisps, Hot Chips are chips..

Poppers are kids drinks not drugs (was shocked when asked if my child wanted a popper shortly after we arrived)

Felt tip pens are called Texta's.

Cal x

Guest Ptp113
Takeaways and Restaurants usually close around 9pm some of the fast food joints open longer

Not here they don't. Must be a Qld thing?

'A park' usually means somewhere to put your car rather than a green open space. As in: I couldn't find a park. There's a park over there!

Domestic, free-to-air tv is appalling. You'll definitely need to investigate alternatives such as foxtel, big pond TV, bbc international iplayer, quickflix, or one of the many legal/semi legal/ non legal sources available.

Also: many people use "fair dinkum" frequently and unironically. It's probably best to resist the temptation to snigger when they do!

Even in professional offices, people find it hard to comprehend that your husband irons his own shirt.

A few random nuggets of wisdom there, based on my experiences so far!

Guest Ptp113
Local phone calls from landlines are flat rate not timed

Americanos are long blacks (whites are flat whites or any of the other myriad of coffee choices) - that's been the hardest for me to eradicate!

Some banks charge if you use a competitor's card to withdraw cash

Car registration is called Rego

You pay through the nose for ambulance if you call one so get ambulance insurance (some states - Qld has it free but other states charge like wounded bulls)

Dont be surprised at social functions if there is a blokes space for chat and a sheilas' space for gossip - segregation is frequent and expect to see the bloke weilding the barbie tongs

ACT free, at least it was for our trips (no insurance)

A pencil is a grey lead....I think? And English football is soccer....but my oh insists on still calling it football when we're at home -so we have bizarre conversations where neither of us know exactly what we're talking about as I sometimes call it soccer out of habit from making myself understood around Australian colleagues and clients at work during the day!

I have. Common terminology here (am a runner and member of a running club, it seems to be the word most use). Perhaps it varies state to state?

Or even local? I've heard some terms by schoolkids where a kid from another school has no idea what they're talking about.

What, even more variations to remember?! I'm in Melbourne, where is the 'joggers' term used? By the way, the word joggers brings to mind track suit bottoms or slow runners!

Brizzy, Qld.

Just to turn your stomach................."brown eyed mullet" a turd in the sea where you're swimming :embarrassed:

Ha Darta I hate that, its just wrong!

Basically shorten everything and add (ies) onto the end which makes it actually just as long as the original version.

If you do the above then you will be OK:biggrin:

Ozzies are simple folk so everything needs to be made easy or shortened