What do you claim back on your Aussie tax return?

gwolst77

Just throwing this one out there.

What have people claimed for/get rebates on, when they submit their Aussie tax returns?

I am full time salaried staff at work (457 visa), office based but who works the majority of my time from home or at customers premises. I have heard people mention that you can claim a couple of hundred bucks towards clothing (dry cleaning), and I know I will get the Medicare surcharge refunded because I have private health.

Not sure if I can claim for anything else for example costs associated with working from home (as I am officially office based), it's advice regarding this type of thing I am most interested in.

Any other tips in general regarding tax returns, it's my first one and I want to figure out if it is worth seeing an accountant. I did my self assessment every year back in the UK with no issues, so I am happy filling the forms in myself.

Not sure if its different being self employed but hubby was told if he works from home part time he can claim a percentage off the electric and internet/phone costs. Work clothing and footwear is something our account has claimed for in the past. Fuel if you carry tools to a work place in your vehicle was another thing.

There did seem to be alot of stuff we hadnt even thought of so i would recommend getting someone in the know to do, or help with, your paperwork.

Cal x

Not sure if its different being self employed but hubby was told if he works from home part time he can claim a percentage off the electric and internet/phone costs. Work clothing and footwear is something our account has claimed for in the past. Fuel if you carry tools to a work place in your vehicle was another thing.

There did seem to be alot of stuff we hadnt even thought of so i would recommend getting someone in the know to do, or help with, your paperwork.

Cal x

Being self employed is massively different, yes.

I get an allowance for my wife not earning. Though think that is about to be scrapped by the government. Get a few grand for working remote. There is an allowance of a few hundred that anyone can claim for anything without receipts - most people put work cloths needing dry cleaning through on this. Phone and Internet can be claimed - though it is pretty crap. Some travel is claimed.

If you work from home, you can get a proportion of all house costs such as gas, elec, rent.

Cleaning of work clothes is only if they are branded clothes. They give you a 'suggested' amount per full load of washing, but say to adjust depending on how much washing.

If you get yourself a tax agent you can claim that cost back off next tax year.

I claim for safety boots, sunglasses, sun lotion, laundry, waterproof clothing. Never more than $300 as I can't be bothered to send all my receipts in.

As has been said, it isn't as easy to claim for loads of different things. When you pick what industry you work in, they know what types of things you might need.

i claim my tools for work [ they tried to depreciate them but as i told them i buy clippers and scissors at least once a year so i claim them out right , magazine subscriptions , milage [ as i have to do the banking ] washing of clothes , work related courses ,

for my husband i claim private insurance 30% back magazine subscriptions , 75% of our internet bills , computer and such equipment , travel when he is going directly to visit clients , laundry,safety boots , member ships to do with work ,

next year im thinking of going to the uk ill do a hair cutting course while over there and ill claim my air fare and accomadation while at the course to offset against my tax

What have people claimed for/get rebates on, when they submit their Aussie tax returns?

I am full time salaried staff at work (457 visa), office based but who works the majority of my time from home or at customers premises. I have heard people mention that you can claim a couple of hundred bucks towards clothing (dry cleaning), and I know I will get the Medicare surcharge refunded because I have private health.

Not sure if I can claim for anything else for example costs associated with working from home (as I am officially office based), it's advice regarding this type of thing I am most interested in.

Any other tips in general regarding tax returns, it's my first one and I want to figure out if it is worth seeing an accountant. I did my self assessment every year back in the UK with no issues, so I am happy filling the forms in myself.

You can get your tax done by a tax agent (say H& R Block) for about $150 (tax deductible the following year). I would suggest that as they take you through everything and you will know for next year how your circumstances stack up. You will not be getting the medicare surcharge back, as you should not have paid it. That should kick in as a penalty later rather than a pay up front, get it back.

I think it will be the best $150 you ever spend.

I claim (on my wife's behalf) the mazimum of $300 (unreceipted) laundry...................................... vary the stationary (printer ink etc) between 200 and 300 pa.........................50% computer use and internet charges............ mobile costs (purely for on call)............. corporate uniform (not used privately)..................anything which falls in the "tools" category for a nurse (fobwatch/stethoscope/professional publications etc)..............travel to and from locations which are not "main place of work" but for work purposes ie if she goes to a professional seminar not held at her hospital and fees for 'professional development............accountancy fees (only $80) as I prepare the account and she just "signs off" on it................part depreciation on computer/printer etc used for work purposes at home................even if only for receipt of professional emails...............postage for professional snail mails................charitable donations (Christian Brothers at my son's school)..................Trade Union Fees

Guest GeorgeD

Most of mine is related around my car. I travel a lot to customer sites for meetings. It's my car, so I can claim a percentage of the operational costs as tax a deduction.

You can get your tax done by a tax agent (say H& R Block) for about $150 (tax deductible the following year). I would suggest that as they take you through everything and you will know for next year how your circumstances stack up........ .

I think it will be the best $150 you ever spend.

Agree thoroughly with rosiew. Consult a tax agent for your first tax return to ensure you don't miss out on any deductions or rebates you are entitled to....well worth it.

totally agree with Rosiew, and like Moirclan I claim for tools and travel too , laptops for school , internet usage, clothes the lot and with a good accountant you cant go wrong , I pay just short of $300 but I know each yr I know will get back a good few grand .............

You can in theory claim a percentage of household outgoing based on your usage of them for work purposes.

For example if you use a computer for work and need internet access, you might be able to claim some of your broadband internet bill and telephone bill.

Is it? Not heard that one

Slightly irritating if so. This is the biggest thing I get money back for

I believe it has already gone..

Phasing out of the dependent spouse tax offset

This measure will further restrict eligibility for the dependent spouse tax offset. To be eligible the dependent spouse must be born before 1 July 1952.

The taxpayer may still be eligible to claim an offset for their spouse if they meet the eligibility requirements of one or more of the dependent relative, zone, overseas forces or civilian offsets.

This change will apply to 2013 and later income tax returns.

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/00321725.htm

A quick read through should give you an idea if it's worth getting an accountant.

We did last year and actually we had missed nothing so it was a bit of a waste of money. As DH does no work from home and didn't have anything to claim for transport etc it meant we could claim very little.

As least we know for this year though.

Have never bothered to investigate all this nonsense.

All I know is, sometime in June, I get an annual statement from my employer which I give to a girl who sits at a temporary desk in our local shopping centre. Hey presto, a week later, my current account is credited with enough money to pay for a week's holiday in Bali.

It's a bit like watching juggling on the telly; I know it impresses me but I don't want to know how it's done as that would ruin the magic.

Have never bothered to investigate all this nonsense.

All I know is, sometime in June, I get an annual statement from my employer which I give to a girl who sits at a temporary desk in our local shopping centre. Hey presto, a week later, my current account is credited with enough money to pay for a week's holiday in Bali.

It's a bit like watching juggling on the telly; I know it impresses me but I don't want to know how it's done as that would ruin the magic.

Which is great, until the ATO decide to audit you and you find that the girl in the shopping centre has moved on and it is you that is liable...

Liable for what?

I give her the employer statement, she asks me a dozen or so questions e.g. travelling between offices, wearing a uniform, doing some work at home, all of which I answer truthfully, then she transfers money into my account.

I would go and see a good tax accountant. We did our own returns the first year we were here. The 2nd year I was away with work a lot and my wife had a 3 year old to look after and was working so we went to an accountant. We had done most of it and come to the conclusion that we would owe the taxman. The accountants first words when he looked at our working out was "it looks like you might owe the then something, can't have that can we". He then asked us a load of questions and told us what we could claim for that neither of us new about. Turned it round for us to a few hundred dollars rebate.

We've been going to see the same guy ever since and we get a rebate every year. My son is a sparkie and had a ford XR6 turbo ute and he got an 8 grand tax rebate. Sees the same guy as us, more than pays for himself. You can claim the cost of the accountant from your next years bill for one thing and as a minimum I reckon you could claim for a home office and associated costs.

You might be pleasantly surprised.

Liable for what?

For any mistakes that she may have made.. My point was you should cover yourself a little by understanding what it is that is being claimed back, if the tax agent is over enthusiastic and over claims it is you that is personally liable...

what do they mean by zone ?? .....do fifo workers count ...ever hopeful

mrs keily

zone refers to people who get the zone tax offset:

Zone tax offset

To qualify for the zone tax offset, you must have lived or worked in a remote area (not necessarily continuously) for:

183 days or more during the current income year, or

183 days or more in total during the current and previous income years - but less than 183 days in the current year and less than 183 days in the previous income year - and you did not claim a zone tax offset in your previous year's tax return.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?menuid=0&doc=/content/00251172.htm&page=14&H14

The definition of what is a remote area seems hard to find..

Archived