What do you claim back on your Aussie tax return?

gwolst77

http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.aspx?doc=/content/00355990.htm

Re work related tax deductions: be sensible, but don't overlook that to which you are reasonably entitled.

To the OP: remember that as a temporary visaholder you are only subject to Aus tax on Aus source income. Make sure that whoever you engage to assist you with your tax return is aware of this:

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/76536.htm

Best regards.

Best regards.

Another good point is that if you have paid tax this year but you haven't been here a full year, you may fall into a lower tax bracket due to not being here and as a result be up for quite a large return so yes as above go and see a tax accountant. Dont just choose any old one though, get someone who may cost another $200 but will get you a better rebate. Many accountants here are just book keepers and arent aware what you can and cant claim.

Just the same in the UK....you get what you pay for. This is really aimed at those who are contracting and would be able to claim more than regular salary type people

Very naive question, but could someone please explain how this works? We've been here since 2011. The first year I was paid in the UK but liable for tax here for most of the year. This year I transferred to being paid in Australia in November, but am liable for tax (I think) for the full year. I was back in the UK for 11 weeks from Aug to mid Oct, so can I deduct this from my Australian liability (already paid tax on this in the UK).

Also, how do I physically go about claiming stuff back (such as laptops etc)? Do I just do this in return and they send out a cheque of what's owed back?

Very odd compared to the UK...

Guest The Pom Queen

Don't forget medical expenses:

On 8 May 2012, the government announced in the 2012-13 Budget that it will income test the net medical expenses tax offset from 1 July 2012. Taxpayers with an adjusted taxable income above $84,000 for singles or $168,000 for a couple or family in 2012-13 will be affected (i.e. The family threshold will increase by $1,500 for each dependent child after the first). These taxpayers (who are over the threshold) will only be able to claim a reimbursement of 10% for eligible out of pocket expenses incurred in excess of $5,000 (indexed annually). Taxpayers with an adjusted taxable income below these thresholds will be unaffected. These taxpayers will continue to be able to claim a reimbursement of 20% for net medical expenses over $2,120 (CPI indexed for 2012-13) when they lodge their tax return. So basically if your income is below these thresholds what you can claim will be quite similar to previous income years (apart from the fact that in 2011-2012 income year the tax offset is 20% over $2,060 whereas in 2012-2013 income year the tax offset is 20% over $2,120). You will only be affected once your income reaches certain thresholds. Once again we would like to remind you that not all medical expenses are claimable: Medical expenses include payments:

• to dentists, orthodontists or registered dental mechanics
  • to opticians or optometrists, including for the cost of prescription spectacles or contact lenses
  • to a carer who looks after a person who is blind or permanently confined to a bed or wheelchair
  • for therapeutic treatment under the direction of a doctor
  • for medical aids prescribed by a doctor
  • for artificial limbs or eyes and hearing aids
  • for maintaining a properly trained dog for guiding or assisting people with a disability (but not for social therapy)
  • for laser eye surgery, and
  • for treatment under an in-vitro fertilisation program.

Expenses which do not qualify as medical expenses include payments made for:

• cosmetic operations for which a Medicare benefit is not payable
  • dental services or treatments that are solely cosmetic
  • therapeutic treatment where the patient is not formally referred by a doctor (a mere suggestion or recommendation by a doctor to the patient is not enough for the treatment to qualify; the patient must be referred to a particular person for specific treatment)
  • chemist-type items, such as tablets for pain relief, purchased in retail outlets or health food stores
  • inoculations for overseas travel
  • non-prescribed vitamins or health foods
  • travel or accommodation expenses associated with medical treatment
  • contributions to a private health insurer
  • purchases from a chemist that are not related to an illness or operation
  • life insurance medical examinations
  • ambulance charges and subscriptions, and funeral expenses.

For a detailed discussion regarding the rules on claiming medical expenses tax offset please visit the ATO website.

Get yourself to an accountant.

Already got one! Work have paid for E&Y to do my UK and AU tax returns for 2011-12 and 2012-13, BUT it's still hugely complicated. Almost driven mad by how complicated this is. I am now paying two lots - PAYE on UK earnings from August 2011 to Nov 2012, plus Australian tax on earnings for the same period. In theory, all I needed to do was claim the UK tax back from this period and pay the Australian tax man with the money. However, one year on I have managed to claim back nothing so far from HMRC (although that should change in the next few weeks) whilst at the same time needing to pay installement of the missed tax to the ATO.

Absolutely crazy situation to be in and I'll have the same situation soon for this Australian tax year - i.e. more tax owed from July to November 2012 and no refund from the UK to cover it.

And the thing is that NO-ONE understands how this actually works - not even a firm of professional accountants like E&Y.

Ugggghhhhhggghhhhg!!!!!

* Not sure why earnings from employment duties in the UK is repayable, unless the tax paid under PAYE is too high.

* The provisions of the Tax Treaty between the UK and Australia may well allow the UK employment income to be exempt in Australia.

Ask E&Y to explain this to you - they are being paid a fee and should know how you are being taxed.

Best regards.

Archived