• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will miss:

Automatic garage door

Warrnambool coastal walk

Gardening all year round

Won't miss:

Australian comedy

My neighbours, on one side there's the bad tempered old Italian migrant and on the other the reclusive drunk mad woman

Anything to do with sport

Interesting how we all have different perceptions of the place- are we talking about the same country or what?

But you've been here for decades, you've built a life here and clearly it's been good to you and your family?. It doesn't work out that way for everyone, hence the things that they won't miss. I think that there are also other categories of ex-pats, people who've had a good life here, but who are turned off by various aspects of the place. Then there are people who came for a time limited period just to try it, and are going home armed with the memories of what they enjoyed, but candid about what they didn't.

Will miss: Automatic car, big car spaces(but plan to get a funky little hatchback so not really a big issue!), large pump bottles of shower gel/shampoo(will put quite a few into the container)!

Wont miss: The heat & the sun (have two toddlers so leaving the house at all is a bloody nightmare), the crap morning television and crap television in general (give me Phil and Holly any day) & the 3 monthly rental inspections(cant wait to get my lovely house back!)

You may be interested to know that automatic cars are available in England, the same makes/models as here plus a few more besides and the big bonus, all cars either new, second hand, auto or manual are a lot cheaper than Australian ones.

Edited by cjscjs

• 2 weeks later...

Three things that I miss.

Tasmanian yoghurt

The outdoor pool in Queanbeyan (crap area, nice pool) made me feel like I was on holiday in OZ when we went there, rather than that we lived there (OZ, not Queanbeyan!)

Seeing my children play on Bondi for the first time

Three things I don't miss.

Feeling displaced, unsettled, and realising it is a place where i dont belong

Constantly comparing things, the time difference, costs, etiquette etc

A cold and unwelcoming work culture towards a British person.

having lived in oz for 20 years....I miss the natural beauty...wildlife etc...my ozzy mates....working outdoors..(carpenter)

What I won`t miss is....bogans...red tape in all aspects of life(got a fine for j walking in china town,sydney) stinking hot days and the humidity...

I actually forgot about the J walking road rule!I was waiting for traffic lights to change and get the green guy light?It never happened,must of been a fault so I walked a few metres from the lights and crossed the road!I then remembered the J walking thing!Whoops!How much was the fine?

Will miss: Automatic car, big car spaces(but plan to get a funky little hatko

Howchback so not really a big issue!), large pump bottles of shower gel/shampoo(will put quite a few into the container)!

Wont miss: The heat & the sun (have two toddlers so leaving the house at all is a bloody nightmare), the crap morning television and crap television in general (give me Phil and Holly any day) & the 3 monthly rental inspections(cant wait to get my lovely house back!)

how long you been gone? They sell those large pump bottles over here. I think my wife gets them from boots.

No one misses the sky and the stars?! loved that about aus,never knew what "big skies" meant till i went there

The skies are the same size wherever you are Pablo! The big skies you refer to just means there's little else that's in the way to see, which only heightened the sense of isolation for me. So no I don't miss this at all, there's nothing really to see up there anyway, rather my surroundings and horizon packed with things of interest.

The skies are the same size wherever you are Pablo! The big skies you refer to just means there's little else that's in the way to see, which only heightened the sense of isolation for me. So no I don't miss this at all, there's nothing really to see up there anyway, rather my surroundings and horizon packed with things of interest.

Yes i know Bora,the skies still seem "bigger" somehow tho,just saying,not getting into a debate about your surroundings etc

Yes i know Bora,the skies still seem "bigger" somehow tho,just saying,not getting into a debate about your surroundings etc

No debate required Pablo, just an explanation why I don't miss the big skies. And indeed they were - at times I thought I could see the curvature of the earth and I was miles from the sea!

Would miss:

1. The laid back "take it easy" lifestyle, 10 min drive to work

2. The beaches in summer-Torquay, Queenscliff, Point Lonsdale, plus having a barbie overlooking Torquay main beach

3. certain foods-chicken schnitzel, chevaps, steamed dim sims (in Chinatown), kaiser fleisch, cheezels, twisties, Crown lager

Wouldnt miss:

1. AFL

2. Channel 7, 9 and 10-the sh1t programs, mindless nationalism, cynical intrusion of advertising into everything (Jacobs Creek/Andre Agassi "interviews" a prime example)

3. Harvey Norman

why harvey Norman? Just curious lol

From a yank perspective:

Miss

Rugby League

Kebabs (nothing like them here on west coast of US)

Beaches

Don't miss

Spiders as big as a baseball glove....and while I'm at it, Christmas Beetles (WTH are those things!!!)

Aussie xenophobia

Over the top, chest thumping nationalism

I can think of more in both columns, but limited to three, right???......that's my .02; thanks for reading!!