Whats 3 things you'll miss/wont miss about Australia

Thistle13

Will miss: Automatic car, big car spaces(but plan to get a funky little hatchback so not really a big issue!), large pump bottles of shower gel/shampoo(will put quite a few into the container)!

Wont miss: The heat & the sun (have two toddlers so leaving the house at all is a bloody nightmare), the crap morning television and crap television in general (give me Phil and Holly any day) & the 3 monthly rental inspections(cant wait to get my lovely house back!)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoll, we have a mains pressure shower which is as powerful as an Aussie shower, just dont use one of those horrible electric showers.

Cambridge is notorious for its pathetic water pressure and the olds have done their best to bring their shower into the 21st century (it even has specially softened water too so you don't habitually get half a dozen pin prick jets and all the rest built up with limescale). Our Canberra shower was fabulous I must say! I'm gradually getting desensitized though and can view, almost with equanimity, the showers at the gym which are habitually 2 degrees colder than I want them and are on 30 second timers! I'm a shower snob!

I don't live in Oz (yet!)

But when I returned from travelling I missed:

-Getting on a ferry from Darling Harbour to Circular key every morning and seeing the Opera House

- Coogee to Bondi walk at sunrise

- The city/ beach lifestyle balance

- The wildlife

- Great food

Dont miss:

- Rubbish fish & chips ;)

- Hecticness of Sydney's CBD

- Creepy Crawlies (Arrrgh! I was sitting in Sydney aquarium when some guy pointed at my arm and when I looked down there was a huge spider crawling down it, I didn't know whether to faint, scream or sh*t myself!) I hit it with an empty coke bottle then had a total public breakdown including jumping up & down with my arms waving about like a lunatic - embarrassing!

Miss:

- not being able to dry my washing outside every day.

Don't miss:

- insects, especially flies and ants.....and the wildlife noise through the night

- heat and humidity

- BBQs...hate them

Would miss:

a) Availability and accessibility of sports facilities for all ages - clubs, sports grounds etc

b) Climate and coast

c) Friendliness and approachability of vast majority of people in work and outside it

Wouldn't miss:

a) The "smallness" and isolation (from rest of the world) of the 8 distinct state economies and all the stuff you get as a consequence - lack of competition, rip-off pricing, parochial governments, v.ordinary approach to development and innovation

b) Overweening bureaucracy and regulations together with the unthinking acceptance of so much of it

c) It's a toss-up between crappily-built houses and crappy pubs

Leaving! May 30th!! I'm more excited to be going home than I was to be coming here!:jiggy:

Delighted to hear that you've got a date set Missus B. Are you heading back to Ireland or Newcastle?

Ha! Nice one love......

Probably another few months for me like. Pretty mad really as I used to live there (Newcastle) but I am actually having to go back in the mindset of ‘give it a year or so to see how you feel’ – exactly the same as when I originally came here! I have a distinct feeling that I am going to fall into the ‘ping pong’ camp, as I love it here and there J

Got to be Tynemouth for me I reckon, class little spot that. Cheeky little 2x bed flat in a well built house with – wait for it – central heating!

In response to the thread….

Stuff to miss

• Dirt bike/ surfing areas within 1hr of Melbourne
  • Little Creatures Pale Ale
  • Being able to get into work on the bike without too much rain & cold drama

Not miss

• $10 a pint
  • Lack of Anglo Saxon culture (no apologies – that’s what I am….. Couldn’t care less about ‘Multiculturalism’)
  • Lack of infrastructure (freeways) and demented drivers

Would miss:

1. The laid back "take it easy" lifestyle, 10 min drive to work

2. The beaches in summer-Torquay, Queenscliff, Point Lonsdale, plus having a barbie overlooking Torquay main beach

3. certain foods-chicken schnitzel, chevaps, steamed dim sims (in Chinatown), kaiser fleisch, cheezels, twisties, Crown lager

Wouldnt miss:

1. AFL

2. Channel 7, 9 and 10-the sh1t programs, mindless nationalism, cynical intrusion of advertising into everything (Jacobs Creek/Andre Agassi "interviews" a prime example)

3. Harvey Norman

Have to agree:-

Three things I'd miss about Australia now I am back in the UK

1. Hanging out the washing and knowing it would dry on the same day.

2. Frozen Coke

3. Chicken Treat

Three things I DONT miss about Australia apart from the weather (well I don't miss the endless heat)

1. Flies, mossies, spiders, cockroaches and snakes........infact ALL the creepy crawlies

2. Mrs Macs pies and the Aussies banging on how good they are - err NO and you don't put peas and carrots in Cornish Pasty either!

3. Unfriendliness of the natives - Arrogant Aussies

i visited oz in 2010 on a year long working holiday visa and the place didn't click. Flew into melbourne, stayed a week and never really settled - the place felt a bit too artificial if any brits know what i mean. Then I flew to perth. Although i liked the the islands on the coast, the whole perth thing didn't feel right either...again, felt a bit too fake and superficial. So then i went to cairns after 8 days. Cairns was hot, tropical and fairly clean but again, i just couldn't see myself living there.

At this point I should tell you I was born and raised in london, so maybe i've been spoilt or something.

Then I went down the east coast to sydney and all the places I went to I felt I could visit it, no problem, but I couldn't see myself living anywhere. It's like going on holiday and then getting sick of being on holiday and wishing you were at home feeling. That's my underlying memory of Oz.

New zealand, the country I went to before coming to oz was amazing on the other hand. It was shear paradise for me. I could see myself living in a lot of places from te anau, otago, rotorua, nelson, wanaka and so forth :).

Funny how everytime I see Australia on TV and on programs like "moving down under" or whatever it's called I think it's amazing, but when I actually went there I didn't feel it too homely and welcoming. The whole place felt a bit too new and plastic-y if anyone knows what i mean? Don't get me wrong, the people were nice and everything seems dreamy clean and perfect, but maybe it was just that it was too superficial and perfect, for me anyway :D

• 1 year later...

Miss:

The Gorge Wildlife Park in the Adelaide Hills

Not having to queue to get in the open air swimming pool on a hot day

The view of Adelaide CBD and Glenelg from Mount Lofty

Don't miss:

The ex

Aussie sausages

Whistling spiders (or where they Huntsmen? Whatever those damn big things were that were too big for a pyrex jug!)

Won't miss;

1) The bloody loud, shitty noisy V8 cars, even the new ones. (if my car sounded like that Id scrap it!)

2) Isolation from the rest of the world, family and friends

3) Christmas and other 'occassions'

Will miss;

1) Good weather most of the year

2) Being able to go to the lovely beaches/creeks....not necessarily going but being able to go if we want.

3) ............

Edited by wattsy1982