Whats 3 things you'll miss/wont miss about Australia

Thistle13

seems like lots of people said on here that they didn't like the conservatism, nationalism, Aussie pride thing.

IS this everywhere, or more concentrated in certain areas? WOuld this be the same in Sydney as it would be in Perth (for example?)

It's not something I've encountered in Sydney but then I'm what Aussies call a latte-sipping leftie, and have always lived in the Eastern Suburbs, Inner West or Lower North Shore. My brief sojourn in the suburbs was in Oatley which is fairly upmarket too.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will miss

Big decks and verandas and being outside when being inside

easy access to live music ( but our choice as moving from a city to the country)

brisbane winter days. They are truly glorious

Wont miss

humidity

mozzies and the smell of mortein and aeroguard

the way big companies think they are great but are a big fish in a small pond and actually are run very poorly but there is so little competition it doesn't matter

It's funny. I haven't missed much from the uk and I don't think I will miss much from Aus. It's all a journey and you enjoy what you have rather than wasting time missing things.

Already miss . . .

Big blue skies and warm sunshine

Hanging washing outside most of the year

The space

Don't miss . . .

Very hot summer weather

Mozzies, flies, spiders and ants

Expensive supermarkets

I must admit that having left after 50 years in Oz, there are a lot more things that I miss. You don't know what you've lost until you lose it.

Something else I was reminded about by a letter in a newspaper to-day which said that Australian magpies are not related to magpies in Britain.

Living back in England, I miss the beautiful chortling of these birds in Australia, whereas in the UK they sound harsh.

I live at a seaside resort so hear the shrill cries of seagulls every day, but I'm surprised that I'm missing the bird sounds which identify Australia.

• 1 month later...

I'll miss;

The ease of life

Having two cars, a house and still being able to save lots

Real Melbourne coffee

I won't miss;

The inherent casual racism

The typical Aussie male attitude

Being on the arse-end of the world, and pretending the world cares about us down here!!