Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?

Guest liddell92

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't compare London zoo because that is unrealistic in terms of quality and size. Chester zoo is 18 quid for an adult and 14 quid for a child.

While the price of going to the zoo is rather high in Chester, can you remind me of the price of a house,the cost to service a mortgage and the price of a pint? When one get's down to it wages being higher in London.as are prices, perhaps not such a bad comparison after all? Not that I'm saying Perth is anywhere near the same city status as London,obviously.

While the price of going to the zoo is rather high in Chester, can you remind me of the price of a house,the cost to service a mortgage and the price of a pint? When one get's down to it wages being higher in London.as are prices, perhaps not such a bad comparison after all? Not that I'm saying Perth is anywhere near the same city status as London,obviously.

Someone was asking about the cost of the zoo in the UK, I just googled. I don't give a crap about comparisons to be honest, I just answered someone's question.

Yer figures are almost correct and ...... Unemployment is almost, I repeat ..... Almost half in Australia to what it is in the UK, it's clearly far better in the land of plenty.

Unemployment is at 5+% in UK at 7+% so barely half the rate in OZ.With some 20,000 jobs going in the Public Service in QLD alone,including nurses....perhaps even prison workers,with great numbers of jobs going in the mines in WA annouced today...some may well say things are very far from hunky doorey down under......

To the Spanish and other European nationals where unemployment is a quarter of the population, England with low unemployment is a land of opportunity.......

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Unemployment is at 5+% in UK at 7+% so barely half the rate in OZ.With some 20,000 jobs going in the Public Service in QLD alone,including nurses....perhaps even prison workers,with great numbers of jobs going in the mines in WA annouced today...some may well say things are very far from hunky doorey down under......

To the Spanish and other European nationals where unemployment is a quarter of the population, England with low unemployment is a land of opportunity.......

Its 5% in Australia and over 8% in the UK, nearly half like I said. I have said many times the UK has a lot to offer, but it's better in Australia according to facts and figures.

Guest Guest63690
Its 5% in Australia and over 8% in the UK, nearly half like I said. I have said many times the UK has a lot to offer, but it's better in Australia according to facts and figures.

Hoff, how did you manage to drop the Aussie rate by 0.2%, (it is 5.2%) but make the UK rate over 8% when it is dead on 8%. You have just added quite a few thousand people to the dole queue there.

And as I said before, if you double the Australian unemployment rate of 5.2 the uk rate would be 10.4% not 8%. An extra 2.4% represents a huge number of unemployed people, so I cannot help but take issue with the statement that the Australian rate is nearly half the rate in the Uk. I think its fairer to say the UK rate is 2.8% higher than the rate in Oz. Nearly is an unnecessary word when accurate facts and figures are available at our fingertips.

Edited by Guest63690

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hoff, how did you manage to drop the Aussie rate by 0.2%, (it is 5.2%) but make the UK rate over 8% when it is dead on 8%. You have just added quite a few thousand people to the dole queue there.

And as I said before, if you double the Australian unemployment rate of 5.2 the uk rate would be 10.4% not 8%. An extra 2.4% represents a huge number of unemployed people, so I cannot help but take issue with the statement that the Australian rate is nearly half the rate in the Uk. I think its fairer to say the UK rate is 2.8% higher than the rate in Oz. Nearly is an unnecessary word when accurate facts and figures are available at our fingertips.

Still nearly half .... I never said exactly half, still far better there.

I honestly dont know how the hoff can give advice on us living in australia,wages 2.2, etc etc He has only been here on vacation

I did used to wonder how old he was and found out he is a prison warder. However he has been consistant and i love the avatars

and i put it down to being enthusiastic, and i think he enjoys a little wind up,tongue in cheek comments c,mon hoffy when are you coming over, been promising it for years now, I still stand you in that drink and shrimp on the barbie, be good to put faces to a lot of posters on here actually.

Not really wanting to get involved in the 'argument' but....the 2.2 is pretty accurate. I have used it going to Aus and returning to the UK. It has worked, so it's just not someone that hasn't lived there saying it but someone who has lived and worked in both countries.

Where I live its £147 to go to the cinema but only thruppence to go to the zoo. Mind you the animals roam wild. And unemployment is 7.619% in my village which is a far better village than your village yabba yabba yabba

For gords sake people. Get over yourselves. This is an internet forum for info, shared experiences, banter. Get a drink

More jargon.

I ask that you do not flatter your self that you were 'singled out' by me. There are many and varied posters here. It is damn clear that many do not agree with me, as I don't agree with them.

What I am amazed about is that you are resident in the UK and repeatedly try to tell residents of Australia where they have gone wrong! It is the first time I have ever seen this anywhere. I then wondered if the reverse was true.

I said that on a UK site -your country of residence-you would be considered the whinging moaner.

You can't keep accusing others of this if they dare to have a less than rosy view of Australia, when in reverse you are doing the same thing!

Then you start with this 'gutter' stuff, and this silly childish way you have ended your post here. You literally throw a tantrum if you are asked why as a British resident you are so critical of what you yourself are doing in reverse!

Don't get so worked up Ropey,- it is just a discussion forum.

And I'm surprised to see you play the 'you're a newbie' card. The last refuge...

Angry man. Oh the irony:wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Not really wanting to get involved in the 'argument' but....the 2.2 is pretty accurate. I have used it going to Aus and returning to the UK. It has worked, so it's just not someone that hasn't lived there saying it but someone who has lived and worked in both countries.

I keep getting this Hoffs 2.2 to £1 rate thing, it's PIOs rate not mine, I think it's nearer 2.4 due to the fact that average wages have gone up a lot in Australia over the last few years and they have stagnated here in the UK.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Where I live its £147 to go to the cinema but only thruppence to go to the zoo. Mind you the animals roam wild. And unemployment is 7.619% in my village which is a far better village than your village yabba yabba yabba

For gords sake people. Get over yourselves. This is an internet forum for info, shared experiences, banter. Get a drink

Your sounding very angry mate, chillax, lol.

I think some on here really need look and try and find some positives. It seems that the glass is half empty and on a very slippery slope to being empty that some should get an exit strategy in place.

I said it before the olympics about britian being proud and happy and finding the good in it, I can't understand people that are so negative all the time, cheer up people.

Guest Guest63690
Still nearly half .... I never said exactly half, still far better there.

As you say, unemployment is higher in the UK, (not nearly double, but higher by 2.8%). However the regional variations are what we should be really focusing on, because people do not live in a country as a whole, they live in a region in the country. And many regions in the UK have exactly the same rates of employment as many regions in Australia.

For those people, the chances of finding a job will be similar.

http://www.budget.gov.au/2011-12/content/glossy/regional/html/regional_overview_04.htmso and http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/uk/10/jobseekers_map/img/unemployment_map.gif&imgrefurl=

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117&h=449&w=470&sz=29&tbnid=Vi9YwUzlmHvbcM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=94&zoom=1&usg=__bAUDEsX1fPzbNm5TYW5pdluE7xw=&sa=X&ei=tEpGUInpJoWt0QW32oGwDw&ved=0CDQQ9QEwAg&dur=88

That is the reality for a lot of people in Australia and the UK. Areas with horrendously high unemployment, and areas of very low unemployment. And fortunately for both countries, most regions are still enjoying low rates of unemployment.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
As you say, unemployment is higher in the UK, (not nearly double, but higher by 2.8%). However the regional variations are what we should be really focusing on, because people do not live in a country as a whole, they live in a region in the country. And many regions in the UK have exactly the same rates of employment as many regions in Australia.

http://www.budget.gov.au/2011-12/content/glossy/regional/html/regional_overview_04.htmso and http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/uk/10/jobseekers_map/img/unemployment_map.gif&imgrefurl=

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117&h=449&w=470&sz=29&tbnid=Vi9YwUzlmHvbcM:&tbnh=90&tbnw=94&zoom=1&usg=__bAUDEsX1fPzbNm5TYW5pdluE7xw=&sa=X&ei=tEpGUInpJoWt0QW32oGwDw&ved=0CDQQ9QEwAg&dur=88

That is the reality for a lot of people in Australia and the UK. Areas with horrendously high unemployment, and areas of very low unemployment. And fortunately for both countries, most regions are still enjoying low rates of unemployment.

Still a lot better in Australia though, you need to let it lie, lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Sorry I didn't realise this was a MBTTUK thread I never really post in these threads, best of luck everyone, the UK is still a great country to live in.

If the UK rate was double that of the rate in oz, there would be 10.4% unemployment. That is quitea different figure to 8%, but as I said, this is a lot to do with personal perception. And you make no reference to regional variations, which mean that vast swathes of people in the Uk, are living in a region with low unemployment. Some of us are already living in the land of milk and honey, along with the additional blessing of living in a country only a stones throw from Europe, with all that wonderful variation in climate, language and culture, with family and life long friends near by to call upon if we need them or they of course need us, in a country where if you want to go out for the day, you don't have to go far to get anywhere 1. interesting/historical 2. beautiful 3. Cultural 4. Fun 5.Free And though I recognise from your posts that weather is a huge issue for you (and of course there are huge regional variations in this area too), for many the weather in the UK, with its seasonal variations, and temperate climate, is just perfect, and one of the reasons we love it. Having said all that, I realise not everyone's perceptions of the UK are the same, in the same way some people move to Oz and feel they have found home, and others look back wistfully to where they came from, realising they used to live in a wonderful, diverse, fascinating country and now regret the move.

Great that we all agree on PIO that what suits one doesnt suit another eh?!:wideeyed:easy innit!:twitcy:

The voice of reason.. :biggrin:

Sorry I didn't realise this was a MBTTUK thread I never really post in these threads, best of luck everyone, the UK is still a great country to live in.

No, course you don't! :wink:

I honestly dont know how the hoff can give advice on us living in australia,wages 2.2, etc etc He has only been here on vacation

I did used to wonder how old he was and found out he is a prison warder. However he has been consistant and i love the avatars

and i put it down to being enthusiastic, and i think he enjoys a little wind up,tongue in cheek comments c,mon hoffy when are you coming over, been promising it for years now, I still stand you in that drink and shrimp on the barbie, be good to put faces to a lot of posters on here actually.

You've got him bang on! He can be a wind up to some but there's nothing malicious there and his heart is in the right place...................you have to meet him to understand his "tongue in cheek" approach to life/people generally, and in particular, PIO..............it misses the mark sometimes but that's the internet ain't it? No body language.

If you're gonna stand him a drink, don't buy more than a six pack as he falls over after the third and trashes your loo after the fourth...................fast asleep by number 6 which finds you talking to yourself, which can be a Godsend by that time :wink:

I also read somewhere that the unemployment rate is calculated differently in Australia. A survey is done (although I've never heard of anyone being asked), and if you have done any work, even for a few dollars, in the 2 weeks the survey is done, you are classed as employed. If this is true, I can see how it would keep the unemployment rate down.

I also read somewhere that the unemployment rate is calculated differently in Australia. A survey is done (although I've never heard of anyone being asked), and if you have done any work, even for a few dollars, in the 2 weeks the survey is done, you are classed as employed. If this is true, I can see how it would keep the unemployment rate down.

Yes - this is true. I think I read (may be wrong on this point) that if your spouse has done any work you are also not counted as unemployed.

But this ignores the major point. Anyone who bases major life-changing decisions on MACROECONOMIC data is a complete idiot. Someone who advises others to do so even more so.

It's not just that macroeconomic data is notorious for being subject to political manipulation but that it is far too unwieldy to relate to anybody's life. It is far more important to you that there is work in your local area, that pays enough to give you a reasonable quality of life, and gives you the chance of promotion, pay rises, new opportunities etc.

You see it all the time on here. Is $xxxxx enough to live in Xxxxxxx? Well how much do you earn now, how much equity will you be bringing over, where do you want to live, where are you in your working life, what do you expect to be earning in 2, 5, 10, 25 years, what pension / superannuation do you have in place?

Simply quoting meaningless numbers is b*ll*cks, no matter what position you are trying to prove.