Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?

Guest liddell92

It's a bit cool today or rather there's a cool wind but it's sunny and I'm feeling a little 'dusty' from last night, so I'm going down to Bronte now for a swim before the sun disappears.

I loved swimming in the UK but late September was the end for me for eight months and here it's more than the opposite as I can swim year-round.

swim all year round in pools in uk lol, i assume you mean the sea,

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TheArmChairDetective
[ATTACH=CONFIG]16542[/ATTACH] for you armchair detective still in UK, how far back in history shall we all go ;-)

Thanks, I already have that one from when it was posted on facebook.

and Yes, unfortunately I'm STILL in the UK.

swim all year round in pools in uk lol, i assume you mean the sea,

Actually with all the rain, wind and floods the UK have had this year the sea's the last place to consider.

Edited by TheArmChairDetective

Thanks, I already have that one from when it was posted on facebook.

and Yes, unfortunately I'm STILL in the UK.

Actually with all the rain, wind and floods the UK have had this year the sea's the last place to consider.

looks good weather today tho eh, selective news no doubt, you'll do well to listen to peeps already here for advice, before you knock the uk live here for a while first

The sea, yes! I used to swim in the Solent from May at the earliest but usually June, until the end of September. I always found the Solent warm in comparison to the Atlantic off Devon and Cornwall. The sea pool at Bronte was 16.5 degrees today I think.

whatever .......its 24c here today ......off to play golf at 4 ......few beers tonight ............or shall i just prepare for my winter of discontent .........i shall repeat it ......WESTERN EUROPE IS THE PLACE TO LIVE .....beaches .....the alps .....great cities within easy reach ......great infastructure.........and as near equality as you can get , in an imperfect world

Unlike the U.S where the disparity between reach and poor is massive.

As much as I like the other continents to visit and even live for a time I do agree with the above poster. In fact will be in Germany late October and the following month in Italy. Probably won't go to the UK unless it's a fleeting visit to London.

Australia is fine for what it is.....but it doesn't deliver the complete deal in my case and find a few months in Europe is necessary to recharge. Just on two years now..which is perhaps the comfortable maximun of time to be absent....

whatever .......its 24c here today ......off to play golf at 4 ......few beers tonight ............or shall i just prepare for my winter of discontent .........i shall repeat it ......WESTERN EUROPE IS THE PLACE TO LIVE .....beaches .....the alps .....great cities within easy reach ......great infastructure.........and as near equality as you can get , in an imperfect world

Sounds very pleasant - I always liked September in the UK, used to take my holidays then, BUT in a month or so, the clocks go back, and there'll be no more golf at 4pm for half a year.

If only I had a bit of money and I could take advantage of the collapsing economies to buy some cheapo property in Western Europe.

Guest liddell92

To be Honest i think the difference between rick and poor is larger in the UK. our problem is that we have such a deep rooted class system there is always going to be extreme ends of the spectrum over here, unlike Australia, New Zealand and other new world countries. you can really become and millionaire in New Zealand and still they are treated like a layman.

To be Honest i think the difference between rick and poor is larger in the UK. our problem is that we have such a deep rooted class system there is always going to be extreme ends of the spectrum over here, unlike Australia, New Zealand and other new world countries. you can really become and millionaire in New Zealand and still they are treated like a layman.

There's nothing wrong with living in Western Europe, but if everyone who lived there had the attitude of 'this is the best there is', then Australia and NZ & the US would never have developed. And of course many of the people who did emigrate, did so to escape from repression in 'the old world.'

Sounds very pleasant - I always liked September in the UK, used to take my holidays then, BUT in a month or so, the clocks go back, and there'll be no more golf at 4pm for half a year.

If only I had a bit of money and I could take advantage of the collapsing economies to buy some cheapo property in Western Europe.

.......do you really think that if greece or spain goes under ,that will not affect australia .....you plum .

As for the golf , last winter was a bit of a struggle .......the one before that i didnt miss a game .

Sorry that we are not all on bread and water ......looking enviously at " poms in paradise " .......

Soon it will be christmas shopping .......maybe on oxford st if i get time .......and a proper christmas .......nights in the pub ......a proper new years eve........Shall i go on ?

Edited by calNgary
removed personal comments

.......do you really think that if greece or spain goes under ,that will not affect australia .....you plum .

As for the golf , last winter was a bit of a struggle .......the one before that i didnt miss a game .

Sorry that we are not all on bread and water ......looking enviously at " poms in paradise " .......

Soon it will be christmas shopping .......maybe on oxford st if i get time .......and a proper christmas .......nights in the pub ......a proper new years eve........Shall i go on ?

Whats a proper Xmas and a proper NYE?

Edited by calNgary
edited quote

These arguments of which is better are a bit pointless really as its down to the individual. What they like/ what they expect of the new country/ what they had before . Everyone's circumstances are different. People who are not adaptable should never emigrate though. And if you've got it so good anyway why bother moving at all!?

Less so than in the past but the perception remains and many may think this the case. Australia has a system in place of course but more akin to wealth and toys than the class system that the UK is somewhat renown for. Plenty working in the financial sector in London have made piles of money before thirty and are certainly not members of the ruling class nor great educations. Perhaps not so different in UK after all.

I agree. Kids tickets are also cheaper with their student card. I took my daughter and it cost less than $20 for the tickets then an extra $5 for snacks from the supermarket.... In the city kids tickets are $6.50

Don't know where that guy took his kids to the cinema but he must have bought all the popcorn in the place for $85 for 3 of them. Tight arse Tuesday is $12 a ticket and if you get a greater Union card it's $12 a ticket any time. 3D movies might be more but I don't like them anyway.

Really! I have never spent more than $15 for myself on a weekend and $10.50 for a child ticket!

it must be cheaper where I live....

Not that much different than going to the trafford centre cinema in the UK.

Come on Paul, you can't say a cost given is unreasonable just because the person does what most do - pay full price on a normal day. Lots of us don't go enough to justify a cinema chain card, and we don't go on Tuesdays either - with young kids you'd be getting them into bed at 9pm or later, not good on a school night

No, we go on the occasional Saturday along with loads of other people. Full price tickets cost $18-$20 for adults and about $15 for kids. 2 adults, 2 kids = $68, plus a bit of popcorn and a drink, that's easily $85 without "buying all the popcorn in the place"

OK, so we try and get deals where we can but they're not always available. The figure quoted in the article is entirely reasonable so I don't know why you've picked on it

Edited by fairystar32

A PROPER Xmas and a Proper New Year's Eve? That's a bit patronising to 23 million Aussies and 4 million Kiwis, & everyone else who is unfortunate enough to live in the Southern Hemispere, not to mention all those 'sad' Poms who 'flee' to warmer climes like Florida, West Indies, Canary Islands, Cyprus, etc., or even those who have the temerity to visit their rello's in OZ at Xmas.

I don't think we'll worry too much about Spain and Greece down here. They can't afford our minerals anyway. It's China we have to worry about.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
looks good weather today tho eh, selective news no doubt, you'll do well to listen to peeps already here for advice, before you knock the uk live here for a while first

Err, I have a large family, some live in the UK some in OZ. So if I want to knock the UK...I will.

A PROPER Xmas and a Proper New Year's Eve? That's a bit patronising to 23 million Aussies and 4 million Kiwis, & everyone else who is unfortunate enough to live in the Southern Hemispere, not to mention all those 'sad' Poms who 'flee' to warmer climes like Florida, West Indies, Canary Islands, Cyprus, etc., or even those who have the temerity to visit their rello's in OZ at Xmas.

I don't think we'll worry too much about Spain and Greece down here. They can't afford our minerals anyway. It's China we have to worry about.

you forget i can come and go as i please to OZ , 2 passports ......and a house in Oz .

I outed you a while back, as one of those who tries to stand on high , telling everyone how great Oz is ,i dont have a problem with that .

Its the looking down your nose at those still in the U.K , that i have a problem with.

Dont fool yourself that all of us in the U.K are on our a,se

We have just put on the best olympics and paralympics that there have ever been .......sell out crowds to both .

NOT BAD FOR A COUNTRY ON ITS AR,E

you forget i can come and go as i please to OZ , 2 passports ......and a house in Oz .

I outed you a while back, as one of those who tries to stand on high , telling everyone how great Oz is ,i dont have a problem with that .

Its the looking down your nose at those still in the U.K , that i have a problem with.

We have just put on the best olympics and paralympics that there have ever been .......sell out crowds to both .

HEY! We ARE Twins! I too have two passports and two houses, but my brother has trumped us both. HE has THREE passports - got the Gold Standard USA one too, and, talking of gold, he stayed out of property and just bought gold.

But I've let my Pommie passport expire. The more I feel like an Aussie the less I need my Pommie roots, although I still like to think of myself as 'Sterling' not 'Currency.' After all, I can't change where I was born and brought up.

Yes, excellent Olympics and Paralympics, with much of the structure designed and built by Aussie companies I believe.

I don't 'look down my nose' at people who live in the UK and I'll always listen to constructive and objective criticism of Australia. but not to fairy stories.

Could you tell me what is a proper Xmas and NYE?

My fav time of the year to go on holiday tbh wakey,so no snow and ice and freeze offs in work wouldnt bother me,each to their own tho i suppose,ive seen people saying they miss snow etc,not me tho

It just confuses me sometimes when people try and 'fight the good fight' and put people in their places so to speak, which they are right to do if that's how they feel, and then they throw lines in like that.

I'm like you, I would rather be away at Xmas, as to me Xmas should be hot, with swimming etc. That's not to say my hot Xmas isca proper Xmas. Mind you I'm sure I have seen somewhere that santas sleigh was really pulled by kangaroos ;)