Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?

Guest liddell92

in terms of olympics and paralympics ......LONDON IS NOW THE BENCHMARK .

Both sell outs ......a first for the paralympics .

A MILLION people on the streets of London today to congratulate our athletes .

As sports reporter Martin Samuels put it

" Those who think the olympics made Britain special just dont get it . It was Britain that made the olympics special ".

There were a lot out there waiting for it to stumble .......there were those within this country having a grumble .....a few were lining up last night to eat humble pie .

Steady there Bunbury. I'm as pleased as anyone that the games were a success, but lets leave that kind of shouty boasting to countries who do it better. A bit of understatement is never a bad thing.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well to that UK correspondent for the ABC, to be quite honest the weather hasnt actually been bad at all in my area. i cant even remember the last day it rained! even though we are out of summer september has been very hot! 27 degrees yesterday and we are now in Autumn! people love to jump on the stereotypical band-wagon of RAIN, RAIN,RAIN!

The Australian media does love to patronise the UK doesn't it?. I remember when the Ashes were won back in 2009 their London correspondents all doing the "After years of decline and sporting failure and in the midst of it's economic woes etc. etc.."

Still, if it makes the folks back home feel better eh?

in terms of olympics and paralympics ......LONDON IS NOW THE BENCHMARK .

Both sell outs ......a first for the paralympics .

A MILLION people on the streets of London today to congratulate our athletes .

As sports reporter Martin Samuels put it

" Those who think the olympics made Britain special just dont get it . It was Britain that made the olympics special ".

There were a lot out there waiting for it to stumble .......there were those within this country having a grumble .....a few were lining up last night to eat humble pie .

All true, and except for the name of the city, you could have been talking about Sydney in 2000. And after the 'wedding', there is a (short) honeymoon, followed inexorably by the 'hangover'. We've already been through it all but in our case we could at least spend our 'hangover' through the spring and summer. Enjoy your winter (of discontent!)

well to that UK correspondent for the ABC, to be quite honest the weather hasnt actually been bad at all in my area. i cant even remember the last day it rained! even though we are out of summer september has been very hot! 27 degrees yesterday and we are now in Autumn! people love to jump on the stereotypical band-wagon of RAIN, RAIN,RAIN!

Although he is an Aussie, I think he's been in the UK for a number of years and he has not got a brief to only file 'bad news stories' (aka 'good news' for Australians!!!)

The Australian media does love to patronise the UK doesn't it?. I remember when the Ashes were won back in 2009 their London correspondents all doing the "After years of decline and sporting failure and in the midst of it's economic woes etc. etc.."

Still, if it makes the folks back home feel better eh?

It's a two-way thing and both countries lOVE to slag each other off. I'm sure I heard Boris gloating last night in his speech about winning more medals than the Australians.

Guest Guest63690
EVERY Olympics is special. It is only when it is held in your country that you realise how special.

Yes every Olympics is special, but no other paralympics has been given equal billing or enjoys the level of support and ticket sales this one had. That is something that has been uniquely British, and something Britain should be proud of. I hope every other host nation from now on in follows suit.

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/07/160726520/2012-paralympics-best-attended-since-games-began

Yes every Olympics is special, but no other paralympics has been given equal billing or enjoys the level of support and ticket sales this one had. That is something that has been uniquely British, and something Britain should be proud of. I hope every other host nation from now on in follows suit.

http://www.npr.org/2012/09/07/160726520/2012-paralympics-best-attended-since-games-began

the Brits can always be relied on for support in large numbers when it comes to sport.

the fact the Paralympics has been so successful kind of puts (even more) to shame Channel 9's decision not to bother televising it.

Guest Guest63690
the Brits can always be relied on for support in large numbers when it comes to sport.

the fact the Paralympics has been so successful kind of puts (even more) to shame Channel 9's decision not to bother televising it.

It seems Australia are not the only ones who didn't really rate it as a crowd pleaser...http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19541871

Until the paralympics receives equal broadcasting exposure, it will not be seen as equal to the Olympics. I only hope that by setting the bar so high, in terms of tv exposure and ticket sales, other countries will follow our lead.

A common and probably unanswerable question, whats right for you isnt right for me.

sometimes the place is right but the time is wrong and visa versa...

australia is expensive, closed economy, poor for international news etc... great for kids, good lifestyle, good attitudes etc

UK is overcrowded, taciturn weather, council tax, car tax, nanny state etc... cheaper than Australia for food, cars etc. NHS, free schooling etc...

so as you can see we can all find good and bad in both and I have found it is a fluid list, what you could put up with 10 years ago is now a deal breaker or what would have put you off years ago is a breath of fresh air!

either way it is a subjective question and fairly pointless one

It's a two-way thing and both countries lOVE to slag each other off. I'm sure I heard Boris gloating last night in his speech about winning more medals than the Australians.

If that actually is the case then he's an even bigger idiot than I thought he was. Those sort of sentiments always make the person making them look small-minded and a bit cheap. The Uk has come out of the summer games looking good for once, and the last thing we need is to get embroiled in some sort of Twitter-fuelled slanging match with a country whose media loves to portray us as pompous and arrogant.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

either way it is.......and fairly pointless one

Totally have to disagree with you on this.

In life, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked, to then say that asking that question is pointless is somewhat small minded of you.(in my humble opinion)

Furthermore, working out whats right or not for the individual comes from a combination of experiential learning and asking questions of others experiences.

This is what the forums for, asking people questions, weighing up one's own and other opinions and making a decision and acting upon it.

Then finding out if that decision was the right or wrong one, forms part of the cycle of learning.

Thank god it does or we would all be lemmings.

[/b] and the last thing WE need

What's this we, You have a visa for Australia, you're a them not a we !

Edited by TheArmChairDetective

[/b]If that actually is the case then he's an even bigger idiot than I thought he was. Those sort of sentiments always make the person making them look small-minded and a bit cheap. The Uk has come out of the summer games looking good for once, and the last thing we need is to get embroiled in some sort of Twitter-fuelled slanging match with a country whose media loves to portray us as pompous and arrogant.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the two countries' sports ministers, or some similar post, had a friendly bet about which country would win more medals, with the loser having to perform a task dressed in the opposition's colours? I think he had to don a GB shirt and row down the river? Something like that.

I like Boris anyway. Did Cameron enjoy Boris's speech?

Well it has been the wettest summer since records began over 150 years ago, but the weather hasnt been bad for the last month, but I personally checked the weather daily from London throughout the summer, if you can call it that and there were less the 20 hot sunny 23 degree plus days out of 92, keep it real, it's summer by name only, but it's been better than last years, record lowest summer temperatures ever, we live in a country of, will it be nice, who knows, will it be crap, who knows, let's not carried get carried away with a bit of decent weather at long last pet.

I am keeping it real!Ok I was'nt saying its been a scorcher of a summer.And it was meant to be tongue in cheek,not getting carried away "pet"!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I am keeping it real!Ok I was'nt saying its been a scorcher of a summer.And it was meant to be tongue in cheek,not getting carried away "pet"!

Good lass.

Sorry TheArmChairDetective,

I think you may have miss understood me on this one,

I didn't mean the question was pointless from an individuals point of view, but from the newspapers point of view, and I didn't say it was stupid, but they are printing that everything being equal 30% of Brits leave Aus 70% stay, well we all know everything is not equal and people leave for a variety of reasons and also once left you CAN return... What I meant was it was a fairly pointless statistic as no real data is available on it just an arbitrary figure.

We would be in the 30% catagory, as we left 4 years ago for a major family problem, but because our daughter is in high school we now cant return until she has finished, but we ARE returning...

Guest liddell92
Well it has been the wettest summer since records began over 150 years ago, but the weather hasnt been bad for the last month, but I personally checked the weather daily from London throughout the summer, if you can call it that and there were less the 20 hot sunny 23 degree plus days out of 92, keep it real, it's summer by name only, but it's been better than last years, record lowest summer temperatures ever, we live in a country of, will it be nice, who knows, will it be crap, who knows, let's not carried get carried away with a bit of decent weather at long last pet.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter that the average temperatures are lower this summer. to be me if its a nice sunny warm day thats brilliant, because i found when i went to Australia and New Zealand first time it was so hot that it was extremely uncomfortable to work or even sit out, it was 27 degrees the other day in Suffolk and it was bl**dy hot! if anything i would have compared that to the 37degrees i felt in NZ, sometimes its a different kind of heat. Its not always the high temperatures which make a good summer :):cute:

Guest TheArmChairDetective
In my opinion, it doesn't really matter that the average temperatures are lower this summer. to be me if its a nice sunny warm day thats brilliant, because i found when i went to Australia and New Zealand first time it was so hot that it was extremely uncomfortable to work or even sit out, it was 27 degrees the other day in Suffolk and it was bl**dy hot! if anything i would have compared that to the 37degrees i felt in NZ, sometimes its a different kind of heat. Its not always the high temperatures which make a good summer :):cute:

I just had a week of 37 to 42 degrees in Turkey.

Lovely Jubbly, couldn't get enough of it.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
100% support on this.

But Hoff, you are naive in the extreme if you don't believe privatization has got an even uglier grip here!

Australian politicians lie on their backs for privatization; for big business!

............and I know something about the prison service in WA. You need to do some very careful research...

Theres a big difference from the UK private sector and the Australian private sector, the wages and working conditions are by far better in Austalia, take the prison jobs for instance, the wage is at least the same, or even better, but in the UK private firms pay £6k less than the public sector, plus they have crap pension rights and hardly any staff, but in Oz they have plenty of staff. The UK has lost 800,000 jobs over the last few years hundreds of thousands of public sector jobs, but there has been an increase of over 900,000 private sector jobs with low pay, no real pension and more workload, the whole face of the UK job market is changing and none of it for the better, but ....... You don't live here so you wouldn't know?

Guest Guest63690

Found another article, this time an australian article about migrants leaving Oz....http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/lifestyle/article/-/12721871/MigrantsleavingAustralia-TodayTonight_files/

According to this article a record number of migrants left Australia last year (88,000), planning never to return. This figure has doubled from a decade ago. I think this figure takes in migrants from all over the world, not just us Brits. The number of people arriving has also dropped by 9%. Apparently this is a concern in Australia as they are losing skilled workers and they are suggesting they formulate an emigration policy to retain these workers. Guess its good news for workers planning to emigrate if they work in the those sectors which now have a skills gap due to this exodus.

Guest guest36187

Hoffy,

Life really isnt all sunshine and roses in the job front here you know! There have been thousands of jobs list since Can Do Newman DID! Funding has been smashed to nursing homes resulting in less money available to provide care for the elderly. Nurses jobs have been "reduced" in rural communities. Fireman jobs cut here in QLD , "front line" workers that were assured of job safety have gone!

Money wise, I can say I am on slightly more than in the UK but here in private sector we are on MUCH less than the hospital staff. There are problems everywhere. Australia is not all hearts and flowers right now!

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Someone posted an article on another thread showing these figures were bogus and incorrect and that far less are leaving Australia in reality, it's hard to get a true reflection of just what the true figures are.