Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?

Guest liddell92

I keep getting this Hoffs 2.2 to £1 rate thing, it's PIOs rate not mine, I think it's nearer 2.4 due to the fact that average wages have gone up a lot in Australia over the last few years and they have stagnated here in the UK.

The other thig I have to say and I'll use the Hoff as an example tho most of us do it, we read the news about the UK but how many of us actually are affected by it, The Hoff goes on about unemployment in the uk being worse than Aus, Yet he has a job, wages coming in able to pay bills so is not unemployed, So Hoffey, If you give that job up come here and find work not available or only jobs on lower pay because the miners all return as the industry slows, which then would be the better country?, no oney on the beach which as everyone says is free, or a place where you work and get decent money.

How many of us are affected by the news we moan about?, immigrants in the UK, us poms here are immigrants, numbers increasing, traffic and crime incease. Just a question not an argument.

Edited by legoman

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I detect this deep-seated desire amongst certain people for Australia's economy to follow the rest of the western world. In their wildest dreams they hope that Australia will 'do a Greece'. 'Why didn't Australia join the Euro!' Perhaps the Australian economy will nose-dive, but for the past few years, it hasn't, and now we are going into another eight-month summer whilst the Poms are heading for another winter of discontent!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
The other thig I have to say and I'll use the Hoff as an example tho most of us do it, we read the news about the UK but how many of us actually are affected by it, The Hoff goes on about unemployment in the uk being worse than Aus, Yet he has a job, wages coming in able to pay bills so is not unemployed, So Hoffey, If you give that job up come here and find work not available or only jobs on lower pay because the miners all return as the industry slows, which then would be the better country?, no oney on the beach which as everyone says is free, or a place where you work and get decent money.

How many of us are affected by the news we moan about?, immigrants in the UK, us poms here are immigrants, numbers increasing, traffic and crime incease. Just a question not an argument.

This is one of the reasons why I am thinking more about emigrating, I am a screw as you know and every prison in the country is being put up for privatisation, Birmingham prison was the first public sector prison to be taken over by the useless incompetent private sector, solely to save money and punish the screws at Birmingham and punish them they have, they have a system called TUPE where their prison service contracts are kept for one year, but then ...... They can either accept the private contract of £6,000 less, plus working with less staff, effecting safety and finally, their pensions are almost obliterated. This is what is happening in one shape or form up and down the country with, the police, teachers, council workers, nurses, etc, not exactly the same as the prison service, but millions of workers are being effected by changes to their working conditions, pay and pensions. But you are right, having no job in any country is tough, but we are looking at Perth and unemployment is only 3.6% which is less than half of what it is in the UK, so the risk is far less there of not being able to find work than in the UK.

I detect this deep-seated desire amongst certain people for Australia's economy to follow the rest of the western world. In their wildest dreams they hope that Australia will 'do a Greece'. 'Why didn't Australia join the Euro!' Perhaps the Australian economy will nose-dive, but for the past few years, it hasn't, and now we are going into another eight-month summer whilst the Poms are heading for another winter of discontent!

I'm beginning to see what dom meant.

This is very irritating. This is the 'gloat' scenario that has already addressed.

It could equally be said that there are certain people who really hope that their view that some are hoping that Australia's economy 'will nosedive'....is true!

Because if it is true, that will support their patriotic fervour! I say fervour because it is a lousy perception that those who live and work here would get pleasure in seeing an economic crash. Which any blind fool can see will affect even those wishing it!!

Still; anyone who would gloat over 'the Poms winter of discontent', will predictably hold such opinions.

.....................and as for another 'eight month long summer'?? That's a positive??!!!

Out in the sun too long is very apparent... :wacko:

This is one of the reasons why I am thinking more about emigrating, I am a screw as you know and every prison in the country is being put up for privatisation, Birmingham prison was the first public sector prison to be taken over by the useless incompetent private sector, solely to save money and punish the screws at Birmingham and punish them they have, they have a system called TUPE where their prison service contracts are kept for one year, but then ...... They can either accept the private contract of £6,000 less, plus working with less staff, effecting safety and finally, their pensions are almost obliterated. This is what is happening in one shape or form up and down the country with, the police, teachers, council workers, nurses, etc, not exactly the same as the prison service, but millions of workers are being effected by changes to their working conditions, pay and pensions. But you are right, having no job in any country is tough, but we are looking at Perth and unemployment is only 3.6% which is less than half of what it is in the UK, so the risk is far less there of not being able to find work than in the UK.

100% support on this.

But Hoff, you are naive in the extreme if you don't believe privatization has got an even uglier grip here!

Australian politicians lie on their backs for privatization; for big business!

............and I know something about the prison service in WA. You need to do some very careful research...

100% support on this.

But Hoff, you are naive in the extreme if you don't believe privatization has got an even uglier grip here!

Australian politicians lie on their backs for privatization; for big business!

............and I know something about the prison service in WA. You need to do some very careful research...

There is at least opportunities to work for government agencies in Australia that do treat their workers with respect. The University sector in Oz has always been good to their employees and have generous super (pension) schemes. You would have to be mad here to give up the type of work that gives you generous benefits and move to the private sector. Not a good idea in my mind.

There is at least opportunities to work for government agencies in Australia that do treat their workers with respect. The University sector in Oz has always been good to their employees and have generous super (pension) schemes. You would have to be mad here to give up the type of work that gives you generous benefits and move to the private sector. Not a good idea in my mind.

Jasepom, you put up your own thread about your regret in returning to the UK, and the personal circumstance that resulted when you returned to Australia. (Which I sincerely hope have resolved or improved).

This in my view gives you and others the opinion that things are better here.

It could well be in some areas, but not in others.

What bothers me is no matter what for/against bias we all have, we are making things so difficult for new migrants.

When I came here in '77 it had its problems, but it was a walk in the park compared to today.

I have seen example after example here on PIO, and elsewhere, of migrants from the UK in partic, coming here and being surprised and stressed that they did not just walk into a job and housing.

We (Oz House/Migration Services/Government) are not telling them the truth.

It is hard today. It can be as hard as the UK,-and if migrants left work and home ownership to come here, it's a bloody sight harder.

This is a young, vibrant country, and no matter what my personal view,-it does have a laid-back lifestyle and sunshine.

But that will not feed the family, and pay the bills.

For many of you, Oz is the be all and end all-and if it is that for you, then fair enough. I mean that.

But because of that; because of 'selling' the country, we are not telling these poor sods the truth.

If you don't have a job or housing;-if you have few savings,-then brace yourselves and hit the damn ground running. Because you are facing a very difficult situation.

In the enthusiasm for Australia-or even the UK, do we have to continue to say 'it's better than there'?

On the 'meat and potatoes of life' it's no different. You can be treated well in the workplace here, and you can also be treated like .hit.

Australia also has the highest record of industrial accidents in the developed world, because industrial law here is so wiss peak.

Surely we owe it to migrants today, to stop painting such a rosy picture?

In almost every scenario it is buyer beware. We need to prepare them for the reality most of them will face.

We owe it to them.

Edited by Zee
2 'owes'. Now 1.

Yep my cousin is an electrician in a prison and says the same, 10yrs in the prison and awaiting the outcome.

if peeps want the dollar to drop so they get more for their pound be advised there would be a reason for the weaker dollar, when we first came at near 3 dols to the pound there was not a lot of work around and for months we applied everywhere to no avail

butas i saidbefore, boomand bust follow each other, use the boomtime to prepare for the leaner times

I don't want Australia to crash and burn - I just want it to slow down a bit so I can jump on.

I'm beginning to see what dom meant.

This is very irritating. This is the 'gloat' scenario that has already addressed.

It could equally be said that there are certain people who really hope that their view that some are hoping that Australia's economy 'will nosedive'....is true!

Because if it is true, that will support their patriotic fervour! I say fervour because it is a lousy perception that those who live and work here would get pleasure in seeing an economic crash. Which any blind fool can see will affect even those wishing it!!

Still; anyone who would gloat over 'the Poms winter of discontent', will predictably hold such opinions.

.....................and as for another 'eight month long summer'?? That's a positive??!!!

Out in the sun too long is very apparent... :wacko:

I may have been conservative with 'eight months of summer', as I'm assuming that May, 2013, will be cool.

what discontent .......sorry , i dont see it ...............greatest continent in the world .....without question .

If you want real freedom ......the real freedom is in western europe .......we have it all .

Take your pick .....France .....Austria ......Germany ......Switzerland .....even the U,K .

Real freedoms .......proper freedoms of religion .....sexuality ......art ......history ......literature .

Obama ....called the U.S the greatest country in the world ........I DONT THINK SO .

If you want real freedom , take a look at the scandanavian countries for a start.......you dont hear them banging on about how great they are .

ITS ALL IN WESTERN EUROPE

To be fair Bunbury its all relative, Australians are banging on, Norwegians are banging on, outer Mongolians like their place, etc. The only reason we are thinking people are banging on about Aus and UK is because they are members of PIO and head banging together. Most people in non PIO land are getting on with their lives not giving a fig as long as they are alright.

I come on PIO because I hope to give some info to people who are moving to Victoria mainly and I have the time being retired, step back a few years and I would not have given a fig either.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
If you want real freedom , take a look at the scandanavian countries for a start.......

Yeah, your free to mass murder as many innocent people as you want !

[quote name=bunbury61;1935957955

If you want real freedom ......the real freedom is in western europe .......we have it all .

Take your pick .....France .....Austria ......Germany ......Switzerland .....even the U' date='K .

Real freedoms .......proper freedoms of religion .....sexuality ......art ......history ......literature .

You mean like trying to ban hijabs in France, banning minarets in Switzerland, Turks being murdered in Germany ...because they are Turkish, Norwegians being murdered in Norway because they allow Muslims to immigrate?

Actually, the most radical art gallery at the moment is regarded, in the art world, as being MONA in Tasmania. Art afficionados are making special tours from Europe to visit it.

dear oh dear, below the belt uncalled for, but if you insist start digging around all the countries.

i love australia but it always tries to get noticed, like a cute child listening in to adult conversations and pulling on mummy,s skirt to get attention.

Edited by legoman

Where's Port Arthur again?

Nowhere is entirely safe from guns and the nutters who are prepared to use them on innocent people.

what discontent .......sorry , i dont see it ...............greatest continent in the world .....without question .

Take your pick .....France .....Austria ......Germany ......Switzerland .....even the U,K .

Obama ....called the U.S the greatest country in the world ........I DONT THINK SO .

If you want real freedom , take a look at the scandanavian countries for a start.......you dont hear them banging on about how great they are .

ITS ALL IN WESTERN EUROPE

'Now is the winter of our discontent, made glorious summer, when I became a sun of Australia!'

France, Austria, Germany, Switzerland, all seething with neo-Nazi fascist tendencies, and I've got a feeling that nasty things are bubbling in Scandanavia - the result of nine month winters and unbearable taxation.

I may have been conservative with 'eight months of summer', as I'm assuming that May, 2013, will be cool.

Assumptions eh?

Good ol' unreliable assumptions!

Where's Port Arthur again?

Nowhere is entirely safe from guns and the nutters who are prepared to use them on innocent people.

Exactly. And I doubt that there is any place that is Utopian. What there is, is locations/countries in which any individual or family prefers to live.

It appears to be some sort of crime if that country is not Australia.

Assumptions eh?

Good ol' unreliable assumptions!

It's a bit cool today or rather there's a cool wind but it's sunny and I'm feeling a little 'dusty' from last night, so I'm going down to Bronte now for a swim before the sun disappears.

I loved swimming in the UK but late September was the end for me for eight months and here it's more than the opposite as I can swim year-round.

It's a bit cool today or rather there's a cool wind but it's sunny and I'm feeling a little 'dusty' from last night, so I'm going down to Bronte now for a swim before the sun disappears.

I loved swimming in the UK but late September was the end for me for eight months and here it's more than the opposite as I can swim year-round.

Me too. Love swimming. Next G has two pools! :wink: