Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?

Guest liddell92

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm tied between the two countries and probably always will be.Apart from the weather,whatever you're trying to escape from in the UK,will also be in Australia.I also believe it depends where you live/came from in the UK and where you ended up in Australia.When my parents emigrated to Australia back in 1970,there was no internet,no Wanted Down Under shows.All they had was a two page brochure to go on.Back then lots of people emigrated blindly,not knowing what to expect and I believe its the best way.Perhaps too that way,less people returned to Blighty.It was the land of milk and honey back then too,cheap place to live,cheap properties,plenty of work opportunities.People,where ever you happen to live do not like to feel like they've been ripped off.Maybe people emigrate for better weather,experience summers in Oz,and then decide its better to jet off from the UK for 2 weeks somewhere nice,and thats enough.

I'm tied between the two countries and probably always will be.Apart from the weather,whatever you're trying to escape from in the UK,will also be in Australia.I also believe it depends where you live/came from in the UK and where you ended up in Australia.When my parents emigrated to Australia back in 1970,there was no internet,no Wanted Down Under shows.All they had was a two page brochure to go on.Back then lots of people emigrated blindly,not knowing what to expect and I believe its the best way.Perhaps too that way,less people returned to Blighty.It was the land of milk and honey back then too,cheap place to live,cheap properties,plenty of work opportunities.People,where ever you happen to live do not like to feel like they've been ripped off.Maybe people emigrate for better weather,experience summers in Oz,and then decide its better to jet off from the UK for 2 weeks somewhere nice,and thats enough.

well said.......

Well I guess sometimes I get fed up of hearing "Can't wait to leave this s***hole of a place(when refering to the UK)That does'nt make the "whole"of the UK S*** does it?When I first got married I lived in a S***hole suburb of Adelaide because at the time it was the only place we could afford.That does'nt make the whole of Australia s***!Maybe its not the countries thats S***,it might just be people's attitude towards it!:laugh:

Guest liddell92

"!Maybe its not the countries thats S***,it might just be people's attitude towards it"

yes i agree with it may be peoples attitude, i know when i went to NZ first time round to work i wanted to get away from the UK so much. when i got to NZ it was so beautiful so much different and i thoroughly enjoyed working there although after being there even for 6 months i began to be slightly homesick from things back home such as Good News, Politics, and the general hustle and bustle of being in the UK. i found the pubs in NZ lacked character and were more like a Betting shop rather than a nice place to drink and purely due to the small population the nightlife in general was fairly poor especially in the South island. the houses were pretty much all made of wood and they had virtually never heard of central heating as it got very cold in winter, all the towns pretty much seemed to lack substance and in the end i was craving family, friends and substance. but no the less its a truly beautiful place and recommend going to anybody.

Is Australia similar in that respect? or am i being very narrow minded in my views of other countries compared to the UK?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15799571

I found this really interesting article on the bbc website and just thought it would be interesting to see what other people make of it??

Not exactly a comprehensive study, is it? I think this can be taken with the proverbial pinch of salt as it doesn't really prove anything either way. I do agree that a real investigation of how many people have left Australia or Britain for the other and returned over the years and their reasons would be quite interesting.

I just wonder why they do these studies, tightening belts is the name of the game and people are doing stuff that really has no bearing on buying a loaf of bread or paying the mortgage.

Over the years we have been away from the UK these studies are raised and people read them, forget about them, get on with their lives.

As the world becomes a smaller global village, moving countries will become like moving to the town up the road if it has not already become so. People will move for all sorts of reasons and knowing why is not going to make the slightest bit of difference to anything.

Find out for oneself is my motto. Do not worry what others are doing, life is to be enjoyed.

Exchange rates is my guess. Since the arse dropped out of the pound it has meant some who were sitting on the fence for possibly many years finally decided it was time to go home and cashed in on the strong aussie dollar to buy mortgage free in the UK. This would have bumped up the returnees for the year. The exchange rate might have also sent more new migrants back home again.

On the Australian side it would have been jobs. Many young Australians go to the UK to work for a few years to experience Europe but if the professional opportunities are drying up in the poor jobs market many of them would cut and run.

Edited by fish.01

They have lost their pioneering spirit? Probably need to do some follow up research and see how many go back to the UK for good and how many return again to OZ.

Oh I dunno, perhaps not..

Those stats are put out by the ADIC. If they were UK stats weeeellll maybe.

They also refer to those returning permanently. How is that quantified? Damned if I know, but they are Australian stats.

They also mention that Oz to UK traffic has slowed a fair bit too, so I will give them some credibility.

A wee whiley ago it was an easy decision, Australia was streets ahead of the UK. That is not the case now, (and I'm not talking economies, I'm talking lifestyle).

Whatever; if one prefers Australia then good.That's my childies.

If one prefers the UK then good. That's moi.

.....and of some modicum of importante: if one wants to return to the old dart, they should be able to talk about why, right here on peeeyeoh.

They are taken from the departure cards filled in by passengers leaving Australia.

Then they cannot use those stats to say that those migrants are returning to the UK permanently.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics! And Government Departments.:skeptical:

Then they cannot use those stats to say that those migrants are returning to the UK permanently.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics! And Government Departments.:skeptical:

I'm always Jet-lagged when I get to complete one of those. Half the time I couldn't tell you what day it was, never mind what my long-term planes are!

:skeptical:

The intention is to leave Australia permanently. The reality in time may be different.

And not all those Brits leaving are returning to the UK. I have seen the stats somewhere: from memory about 40% are headed for somewhere other than the UK.

I'm always Jet-lagged when I get to complete one of those. Half the time I couldn't tell you what day it was, never mind what my long-term planes are!

They could always just, like, get rid of them don't you think?

Questionable quality of data gathered at some cost to the government and some inconvenience to travellers....not needed unless I'm missing something for border security, I can't see the point. If you decide you still want the data, given it is self filled out and as has been noted, only a record of intent, you'd be better off using a sampling technique. Would cost less money and hassle for no loss in quality

A bit of a newspaper beat up I feel. The numbers are not a lot higher than other times. As I understand it about a quarter return. That percentage is fairly consistant.There may well be more those these days for different reasons.

For one there has never been a better time with the high dollar to return.A number of folk that came out during the big influx of UK migrants during the ten pound pom days have become empty nesters or perhaps lost a partner and decided to spend their remaining years back where they came from.

I do believe this is a reasonable number knowing at least half a dozen returning in the past six years....all retired and not wanting to be in OZ anymore.

Besides it's a normal process these days with the emigration process. Quite a number return from Spain and USA as well. It may be health considerations(especially in the case of America) or living with diminished means in the case of the declining pound.Or just plan home sickness. It can be very lonely being in an adopted country with age.

The intention is to leave Australia permanently. The reality in time may be different.

And not all those Brits leaving are returning to the UK. I have seen the stats somewhere: from memory about 40% are headed for somewhere other than the UK.

40% elsewhere! Can you chase up those stats? This is getting fascinating!

40% elsewhere! Can you chase up those stats? This is getting fascinating!

I must say I'd be surprised if the percentage was as high as 40%. Where would so many go. I have known a few move on to NZ. One couple moved to Spain to retire and another to France...and a few single men to Thailand etc.....but that wouldn't even account for ten percent that I've known to leave OZ....so it would be interesting to see where they go.

I imagine some go to work in the Gulf etc.........but still sounds a lot..

I wouldn't be at surprised at 40% returning. Nearly everyone I know has returned for a range of reasons. A fair few recently who want to get into roles in Africa (me and a lot of friends are geologists). Others came from working there seduced by the better rosters but as the money is about the same but cost of living higher found themselves worse off. Then there are a few who just didn't like living here.

I wouldn't be at surprised at 40% returning. Nearly everyone I know has returned for a range of reasons. A fair few recently who want to get into roles in Africa (me and a lot of friends are geologists). Others came from working there seduced by the better rosters but as the money is about the same but cost of living higher found themselves worse off. Then there are a few who just didn't like living here.

I wouldn't be surprised either. But 40% of those leaving going to other countries than UK .......I can see a lot more leaving when the resource so called returns to something more atune to normal conditions. Or when the drive for lower wages becomes a reality.....

Guest The Ropey HOFF

This thread has just been done recently, it was worked out that the figures were actually incorrect, someone found an alternative link counteracting the figures, plus there's other surveys saying most ex pats think their lives have improved, especially the lives of their kids in Australia.