Why are so many Britons leaving Australia?

Guest liddell92

Guest Guest63690

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/02/australia-too-boring-emigrate

Here is another article on a similar theme, but I think some of the points it makes are interesting. It suggests that those returning home were often people very tied to their communities and families in the UK, before they left. Its a case of why does it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till its gone. Many people get bored with things, and move on to pastures new, be that their spouses, their jobs, their home towns, only to discover they are not any happier, and that they even had it better before. Its part of the human condition. I do not see why emigration would be any different.

These type of articles do however serve a purpose in that they get some people to do a hell of a lot of naval gazing before they make a leap that will inevitably lead to a lot of emotional upheaval, not just for themselves, but often for their partners and children, as well as extended family. As well as saving them thousands of pounds which they might spend on making themselves more contented where they live (such as conservatory, or savings for a few extra holidays in Europe). As someone mentioned earlier, with the advent of programmes like wanted down under and poms in paradise, which breed discontentment, more people will wrongly emigrate, expecting to arrive literally almost, in paradise.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In many ways I think it was better when we emigrated knowing sweet fanny adams about Australia. We certainly didn't have enough money to even consider returning anytime soon. In fact we were here over 10 years before we went back to visit- and by that time we had become citizens, had another couple of kids and had well and truly settled into our big rambling weatherboard. To return was by then unthinkable.

less than 1 in 3 go back to the UK so that means 2 out of 3 stay here......

Thats not to say the 2 out of 3 that stay are happy here.......but nor does it say that the 1 out of 3 that go back are happy whan they go back!!

It still means that the majority of people stay here so it shouldne put anyone off coming, just as the fact 1 in 3 marriages end on divorce should not stop anyone getting married

This thread has just been done recently, it was worked out that the figures were actually incorrect, someone found an alternative link counteracting the figures, plus there's other surveys saying most ex pats think their lives have improved, especially the lives of their kids in Australia.

I find that hard to believe, all of the expats I know here are not particularly happy, some have moved home already, some are in the process and some can't move for various reasons. My kids are one of the main reasons we are moving home as I think (and its my opinion) that having lived on both sides of the world, my family's life was better in the UK.

This thread has just been done recently, it was worked out that the figures were actually incorrect, someone found an alternative link counteracting the figures, plus there's other surveys saying most ex pats think their lives have improved, especially the lives of their kids in Australia.

its not surveys.

its serveys

I remember doing market research for about 9.6 seconds in the early 90's. It was a farcical hoot!

It doesn't take to much nowadays with internet access to come up with research data that supports our own point of view!

Unfortunately this 'research' is frequently undertaken for the same reason:

A Dairy Council (whatever they're called) 'sponsored' project came up with the result that dairy foods are very good for you.

(This data result was accurate let me tell you. I like dairy..).

Red Meat...er, Council: Red meat good for you.

Accurate: I should know....

It was the most flawed system of garnering opinion that I have encountered. It had nothing to do with opinion, and everything to do with achieving the required result.

And we believe it,-if it supports our opinion.

I know I do.

Honest.

I remember doing market research for about 9.6 seconds in the early 90's. It was a farcical hoot!

It doesn't take to much nowadays with internet access to come up with research data that supports our own point of view!

A Dairy Council (whatever they're called) 'sponsored' project came up with the result that dairy foods are very good for you.

It was the most flawed system of garnering opinion that I have encountered. It had nothing to do with opinion, and everything to do with achieving the required result.

I know I do.

Honest.

cynic..

Why are so many Britons leaving Australia? Whether is 25%, 30% or 40%, its a significant number.

And most likely higher than in the days of the 10 pound poms.

Why? Well, as it states on another thread, Australia 'isn't all that'. People can see this and will make a judgement as to whether it is worth pushing on with the Australian 'dream' or whether they are just flogging a dead horse.

Of the ones that stay, some end up really happy and with a better quality of life; others end up bitter and stay because they are 'stuck'.

Of the ones that leave, some do indeed return to Aus. It would be interesting to see how many of them subsequently return to the UK.

I think basically people panic a bit and think 'OMG, this is all wrong, lets go back'. Sometimes its best to just chill out and do nothing, stay put. Whether in the UK or Aus.

Simple really.

Why are so many Britons leaving Australia? Whether is 25%, 30% or 40%, its a significant number.

And most likely higher than in the days of the 10 pound poms.

Why? Well, as it states on another thread, Australia 'isn't all that'. People can see this and will make a judgement as to whether it is worth pushing on with the Australian 'dream' or whether they are just flogging a dead horse.

Of the ones that stay, some end up really happy and with a better quality of life; others end up bitter and stay because they are 'stuck'.

Of the ones that leave, some do indeed return to Aus. It would be interesting to see how many of them subsequently return to the UK.

I think basically people panic a bit and think 'OMG, this is all wrong, lets go back'. Sometimes its best to just chill out and do nothing, stay put. Whether in the UK or Aus.

Simple really.

I have to be honest here. That (bolded) is me. I have kept that to myself for 30 years, (literally talked to no one, not even the spawn)-, and have only talked about it here. After 3 decades I have no problem with suggesting that it has nothing to do with 'I didn't give it a try'. I did. It is the way it is.

I have become bitter because I feel trapped by lack of resource, and have only a slim chance of returning. (That research fella in that link put a small para in about this).

I loathe the fact that I could say nothing, but equally was not going to tell any Australian (including 2 friends who I respect immensely) 'I don't like living in your country'. (and that is how I see it: your country).

To use public service jargon; it's inappropriate. I won't do it.

I'm not going to wear the: 'you haven't tried' or 'it's your attitude'. I worked bloody hard to get here and my initial application was rejected. I know why. I had to fight. I won't discuss it here. (It had nothing to do with non disclosure btw).

My outlook now is such that I have had to warn the descendants who are to visit (they're interstate, and I have not seen them for some years) that the Mater is a cynic. I have to do that because they are both Australian and love Oz. It is as the dice falls.

It's going to be interesting though. If you can't talk to family etc.... I say interesting, because on the topic of what is essentially patriotism; bloodlines mean nothing. Patriotism wins hands down.

Historically friends/families have been badly split by their loyalties. Love of country seems to override everything.

But that meeting is about this matter. I won't stay silent. Equally I know that things could get dicey over this.

Ah well.....

Edited by Zee

Guest guest68546
In many ways I think it was better when we emigrated knowing sweet fanny adams about Australia. We certainly didn't have enough money to even consider returning anytime soon. In fact we were here over 10 years before we went back to visit- and by that time we had become citizens, had another couple of kids and had well and truly settled into our big rambling weatherboard. To return was by then unthinkable.

Not sure on that. I came without knowing anything about Oz....just wanted a different experience. I probably knew that I would go back at some point after 12 months. The high cost of housing being one major consideration only compounded by high regular rent increases or being evicted due to landlords selling up. Its no way to conduct life and I'm single!! For families who have to face the same through no fault of their own, little wonder many feel they want to return to a semblance of familiarity.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
You really need to be 100% shure of yourself before you go correcting others, especially the lovely HOFF. Stop bullying. Shurely its servays?

He can't bully anyone, he seems to be the umanliest of men I have ever come across, I know it's an Internet site, but he does appear to be very effeminate, to me.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

I know I do.

Honest.

Thing is I rarely find any serveys that show the UK in a good light, but a lot show Australia as being a great place to live, voted number on place to live in the world in 2012, 2nd last year, most of the cities in the top ten best places to lice, etc. I live in the UK and I don't think it's as bad as they make out, but it always lags behind Australia in most things, I suppose you do have to take them with a pinch of salt, but there's that many saying Australia is great, it's really hard to ignore them.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I find that hard to believe, all of the expats I know here are not particularly happy, some have moved home already, some are in the process and some can't move for various reasons. My kids are one of the main reasons we are moving home as I think (and its my opinion) that having lived on both sides of the world, my family's life was better in the UK.

You need to vent your frustrations on those who have done the servey not me, clearly the thousands of ex pats they asked to collate the figures are incorrect, because you know a handful of folk who are opposite. Bringing your kids back to the UK for a better life when theres over one million youths out of work, might be a bit hoff the mark.

Thing is I rarely find any serveys that show the UK in a good light, but a lot show Australia as being a great place to live, voted number on place to live in the world in 2012, 2nd last year, most of the cities in the top ten best places to lice, etc. I live in the UK and I don't think it's as bad as they make out, but it always lags behind Australia in most things, I suppose you do have to take them with a pinch of salt, but there's that many saying Australia is great, it's really hard to ignore them.

Thanks for the confirmation. Market research/surveys/serveys/servays/Sir Vase, are totally unreliable.

I do feel however, that if you ever come here you will be a model citizen.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Thanks for the confirmation. Market research/surveys/serveys/servays/Sir Vase, are totally unreliable.

I do feel however, that if you ever come here you will be a model citizen.

I agree they are totally unreliable, but you would think just one or two would put the UK above Australia, Ah well.

I agree they are totally unreliable, but you would think just one or two would put the UK above Australia, Ah well.

I see no point in 'putting one country above the other', particularly when it doesn't mean a whole lot because the process is so ludicrously flawed.

However, having said that, it comes as no surprise to me that these tacky little surveys come up with that result.

Australia is highly marketable. 'Sun, sandy beaches, laid back lifestyle' blah blah blah.

The UK? what is actually marketable for it? It doesn't have the brash marketable gloss of Australia.

And frankly it doesn't need it. Other than the mass Union Jacks at Royal events-the UK gets on with it.

It doesn't need to be constantly aware of being best brightest etc, aka: Sydney Olympics-" We were the best, Juan Samaranch (sic) said that we were the best".

That even has a name; it's called cultural cringe.

For all its faults,-and I'm not blind to them I assure you, for me The United Kingdom is like well worn burnished leather.

Australia is bright glossy vinyl. It needs to be bright; it has to be bright, because that is what is so important to it, because it is still a vulnerable child. It is a young country.

Surveys will always reflect what is easiest for them to reflect. It is nice to see that for the GB's it isn't that important.

But it appears important to you Ropey Hoff,-as I said you'll fit in well here.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Don't come back here!!!! UK is bad!!!

Thats what the ...... INDEPENDANT serveys say as well, but ........ It's only important to me apparently. Lol

Guest The Ropey HOFF
I don't know if anyones mentioned it already, but I think they're leaving cos of the crap weather the past few years! :)

We are talking about Australia mate, not the UK, lol

But ...... A tiny minority don't like the weather in Oz.

the old phrase 'misery loves company' is probably quite apt. Happy people seek out happy people, unhappy people usually find the same as themselves.